Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (7-7) @ Carolina Panthers (5-9)

MichiganCardinal

Well, they were good enough to be the third or fourth hottest team in the NFC, but bad enough to let the Panthers set a franchise rushing record. 

This defense has no leadership. Hutch can grow into that but he is too young. Anzalone is the glue but he is not talented enough to be the leader. 

They need more talent and depth on DL but what they really needed today was someone on defense after the first drive to help them get their heads in the game. 

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

It's almost like the NFL is a tough league or something. Good teams get beat by lesser teams every week -- and I'm not sure the Panthers are that much worse than the Lions. Going 9-1 to close the season was always an improbable feat, regardless of who they had to play. 

absolutely.

its been a great season, but expecting 9-1 to make the playoffs with this team is crazy.

they can still make it, but its unlikely.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

absolutely.

its been a great season, but expecting 9-1 to make the playoffs with this team is crazy.

they can still make it, but its unlikely.

I don’t know if unlikely is the word I would use for them making the playoffs at this point. They’re better than the Bears and the Packers. I’d give them an 80% chance to beat the Bears and 50ish  % to beat the Packers, only because it’s away.

The Seahawks have the Jets and Rams. Geno Smith has fallen back down to Earth and will struggle to score against both of those teams.

Washington has the Browns, who they should beat but who won’t die without a fight, and the Cowboys, who are playing for seeding. They’re also not very good.

I don’t think it would be crazy that they go a combined 1-3 in those four games, in which case the Lions would make it at 1-1, and be the 6-seed at 2-0.

I would put the Lions odds of making it closer to a tossup than unlikely.

That all said, the word I would use is gravy. Making the playoffs would be gravy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t know if unlikely is the word I would use for them making the playoffs at this point. They’re better than the Bears and the Packers. I’d give them an 80% chance to beat the Bears and 50ish  % to beat the Packers, only because it’s away.

The Seahawks have the Jets and Rams. Geno Smith has fallen back down to Earth and will struggle to score against both of those teams.

Washington has the Browns, who they should beat but who won’t die without a fight, and the Cowboys, who are playing for seeding. They’re also not very good.

I don’t think it would be crazy that they go a combined 1-3 in those four games, in which case the Lions would make it at 1-1, and be the 6-seed at 2-0.

That all said, the word I would use is gravy. Making the playoffs would be gravy.

Agreed. Another win and they go 8-9. If I were offered that before the season, I woulda took it. This is the most optimistic I've been about their future in years.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

i put the lions odds of making the playoffs at maybe 10-15%.  washington, seattle, and new york have to lose more very winnable games than detroit.

regardless, its been a great second half of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i put the lions odds of making the playoffs at maybe 10-15%.  washington, seattle, and new york have to lose more very winnable games than detroit.

regardless, its been a great second half of the season.

I misspoke about what needs to occur, but I still think it’s plenty possible.

2-0 plus two of NY going 0-2, Seattle going 1-1 or worse, and Washington going 1-1 or worse. 6-seed if all four occur.

1-1 plus Seattle and Washington going 0-2.

I would still put it somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40%. I like the Lions odds against the Bears and Packers more than the Seahawks against the Jets or the Commies against the Cowboys. I still wouldn’t rule out a collapse by New York either.

In any event though, agreed about it being a great second half.