Phillies “Working On A Trade” For Gregory Soto

RaceDog

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't like the way he wears his hat.  Get rid of him.

Take it easy on him.  He usually wears a helmet & mask.  He’s not used to the standard cap.

You know, that’s probably why he has that look on him.  He probably wanted to take the photo in full gear and the photo crew didn’t oblige.

Edited by casimir

It is amusing to me that I’ve seen/heard several mentions of the Phillies unlocking something with Soto.  Sure, I’m no fan of Soto.  And I think highly of Fetter.  So I, probably biased.  But if a team were likely capable of finding and unlocking something with a relief pitcher, it would seem strange to me that it wouldn’t be the Tigers with what Fetter has done with other relievers.  It’s entirely possible Fetter & Soto aren’t a good combination, no question.  But the odds seem unlikely in my worthless opinion.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

It is amusing to me that I’ve seen/heard several mentions of the Phillies unlocking something with Soto.  Sure, I’m no fan of Soto.  And I think highly of Fetter.  So I, probably biased.  But if a team were likely capable of finding and unlocking something with a relief pitcher, it would seem strange to me that it wouldn’t be the Tigers with what Fetter has done with other relievers.  It’s entirely possible Fetter & Soto aren’t a good combination, no question.  But the odds seem unlikely in my worthless opinion.

Meh - I doubt there is a locking or unlocking to be done. He has to throw his breaking ball for srtikes. A breaking ball he already knows perfectly well how to throw and that he has had success with in the past. Soto's problem isn't advice, it's pure execution. He may or may not straighten himself out, and some coach may claim credit, but it will  just be resume luck.

• Thanks 1

The thing I like most about the trade is Maton sounds solid defensively and Vierling should be solid in RF. We went from guys who don't hit much and can't field to guys who can field and might hit a bit with more years of control. The pitching staff will be very happy with the defensive upgrade.

Harris seems to be gathering as many 22-26 year olds with potential as he can so they will all hit their primes in the next 2-5 years.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

Take it easy on him.  He usually wears a helmet & mask.  He’s not used to the standard cap.

You know, that’s probably why he has that look on him.  He probably wanted to take the photo in full gear and the photo crew didn’t oblige.

He looks like he should be working for Jim Adduci.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Reading Stavenhagen's article on the trade... he hasn't been talked about as much, but the more one reads about Sands the more one thinks that Rogers may have to earn his way onto the 26 man roster. Harris seems to think pretty highly of him

I checked his stats from last year, he threw out baserunners at a very high rate.

Seems like a necessity trade to me. These guys are unlikely to ever become everyday regulars on good teams. But the Tigers needed to fill a couple of holes and they could become nice role players, and if they're lucky a little better than that.

Ideally teams in the Tigers situation should aim for higher ceiling guys that are maybe a couple years away. Malloy and now Maton have OBP skills that will be refreshing at least. 

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct. This deal is pretty much a nothing burger. Deck chair re-arrange on the Titanic as we used to say.

It's not an exciting deal, but I would rather have three position players over an inconsistent reliever.  I also like that Harris continues to acquire players than draw walks while dumping players who don't.  He's appears to be targeting the opposite profile of players versus what Avila targeted.  Vierling apparently has tremendous speed as well.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Gregory Soto is a pimp.  He could never have outfought Alex Lange.  

Who is our closer?     Well, does it matter?   Gotta have leads first. 

Leads? 

The good leads. 

And to you they're gold, only you don't get them. 

To give them to you would just be like throwing them away

They're for closers only

Nice double there.