Phillies “Working On A Trade” For Gregory Soto

RaceDog

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was wondering whether and how Avila might have made this trade were he here. Since Dombrowski is on the other side, the trade might well have been made in the first place. I could see Avila sending Soto and either Klemens or Kreidler in exchange for Edmundo Sosa, Proven Major Leaguer, and a couple of flyer pitchers from down the system, perhaps someone like Jayden Astanista and … oh, I don’t know, maybe Mike Adams.

OK, enough of that pointless speculation … we return you to your actual trade discussion already in progress …

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2022/11/former-tigers-exec-has-new-job-with-phillies.html

David Chadd works for the Phillies now, fwiw.

Wonder if there was institutional interest just on account of that 

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I do think this trade shows the limits of their model tbh. Maybe the Tigers receive more trade valuevalue, they seem more priced in as role players versus Soto, who has a lot more utility to a contending ball club as a piece out of the pen (preferably not as a closer). Particularly a team that believes they can unlock his potential.

Put another way, I understand the trade from the Phils perspective and there's a good chance it's a win-win for both clubs.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

... I understand the trade from the Phils perspective and there's a good chance it's a win-win for both clubs.

This is where I'm at...

I think Soto works perfectly for the Phils for what they need as they have a deep BP and can use Soto correctly, without feeling stuck with him in any situation (wild? pull him out and next guy up...). The Tigers were forced to put Soto in multiple games & situations and live with the results regardless as they weren't blessed with lots of other options. One could argue for Jimenez or Lange... but that's it, and not enough to change the 2022 narrative.

Phils win in getting Soto.

But I think the Tigers win too as they let go a "piece of the BP", or at least what should be a piece player rather than a "required closer" and he's certainly not a "dominant" closer; and get back 3 pieces that contribute in different ways. No one who stands out as great. But the Tigers win with more positional value, playing time and other contributing factors rather than holding on to Soto. 

A lot of barely average or just above average players but both teams win because they both get what they want/ need.