2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Kiper's latest mock has Jameson Williams falling to I believe 27 or 28. If he's still there at that point I would seriously consider trading up to insure him.

It would obviously depend on the price and how the board shakes out(If there are multiple WR you like still available you may just want to take your chances one of them is there at 32/34) but if that's not the case and the price isn't too steep I think it would be wise to do it. Williams is a legit playmaker that can have a major impact on this offense. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Charlie Campbell is reporting Drake London will not run the 40 at the combine. Either that's code word for he's injured or he's slow if it is indeed true.

Probably a little of both. He missed the last few games of the season with a broken ankle, but I have to imagine that’s mostly healed by now. He probably knew that he wouldn’t be one of the fastest 40s there, and when you’re a projected top 16 pick it’s a lot easier to fall than rise.

Campbell also had a report that the Lions would want more than a 2nd round pick if they were to trade Goff. If true, I would have to imagine this means they don’t intend to draft a franchise QB in April. What (probably little) value Goff has now would plummet if they did.

It could also just be talk in attempt to boost Goff’s confidence more. I can’t imagine Holmes’ phone is exactly ringing off the hook with 2nd round offers for Goff.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Probably a little of both. He missed the last few games of the season with a broken ankle, but I have to imagine that’s mostly healed by now. He probably knew that he wouldn’t be one of the fastest 40s there, and when you’re a projected top 16 pick it’s a lot easier to fall than rise.

a lot of differing opinions on him.  some say he's too slow and the reason he is making so many contested catches is because he cant get open against college corners because he's so slow.  but he still makes the catches...

so is he a slower, bigger kenny golladay?  or is he the mike williams the lions picked too high in round one?

These prospects spend several weeks pre combine working with trainers that specialize in workouts to maximize their 40 times, so if London has been unable to workout with the same intensity as others his numbers will come across comparably slow so that could be why he isn't participating. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

a lot of differing opinions on him.  some say he's too slow and the reason he is making so many contested catches is because he cant get open against college corners because he's so slow.  but he still makes the catches...

so is he a slower, bigger kenny golladay?  or is he the mike williams the lions picked too high in round one?

Against Utah, London had 16 catches for 162 yards and a TD. Against Notre Dame, he went 15/171/0. Neither of those secondaries will knock your socks off, but they're both very good teams. Washington State was the best ranked secondary he faced in 21 and he went 13/170/2. It would have been nice to see him up against the Washington secondary.

It's also worth remembering that he had two noodle armed QBs throwing to him.

33 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Against Utah, London had 16 catches for 162 yards and a TD. Against Notre Dame, he went 15/171/0. Neither of those secondaries will knock your socks off, but they're both very good teams. Washington State was the best ranked secondary he faced in 21 and he went 13/170/2. It would have been nice to see him up against the Washington secondary.

It's also worth remembering that he had two noodle armed QBs throwing to him.

He put these numbers up while being the only offensive weapon.  Everyone knew where the ball was going and they still couldn’t stop him.  He was just much too physical for college corners.  He routinely would catch a WR screen at the the LOS and then make a move and power through t1,2,3 and sometimes 4 dbs to pick up 10 yards.   That happened at least once every game last year.   That won’t be the case in the league.  He’s still coming off injury and isn’t 100%.   The 40 is the big question mark on him so he’s going to have to run it at some point but it doesn’t make sense to do it until he’s 100% healthy.   

Pro Football Focus: Kenny Pickett Has Smallest Handsize in the Last 30 Years of the Draft

A draft analyst/scout at PFF called into a Pittsburgh sports station and was saying Pickett's hand size measured in as the smallest hand size in the last 30 years. Oh boy, we get to spend more time debating hand size again. We've already got one QB who graded in with smaller than average hands, maybe we'll draft another one.

As long as it doesn't prevent you from throwing a good ball I tend to think hand size gets overblown. The conventional thinking is that it is easier to hold onto the ball with bigger hands and that may be true to an extent but when you have a 260lb athlete slapping your arm/ hand at full strength 9 times out of 10 youre going to lose the ball even if you have Andre the Giant hands. 

Hand size wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't draft Pickett either. I think the overall fact that he does a bunch of things good but nothing great, is an older QB prospect at 24 years old, and seems to be more of a game manager than a potential superstar. Those are the reasons I am passing on Pickett not his hand size.

Once upon a time I thought you could get by with a game manager at QB and build a great team around them. The Rams sorta did that with Goff in 2017, thought he had a really strong season that year. The 49'ers have sorta done that with Jimmy G this past year and a few years back as well. But for every team that finds that level of success with a game manager at QB there are dozens more Baker Mayfields and Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehills who flame out or are early playoff exits. Pickett doesn't seem to posses that elite upside you want out of a high 1st round QB and so I would pass on him.

I remember in undergrad a few years ago I was a project partner in a stats class with this kid. He shook my hand to introduce himself and his hand completely engulfed my normal adult hand. He later dropped the class to focus on some sport.

Harrison Phillips was the name. Based on Twitter today, he should have been a QB.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I remember in undergrad a few years ago I was a project partner in a stats class with this kid. He shook my hand to introduce himself and his hand completely engulfed my normal adult hand. He later dropped the class to focus on some sport.

Harrison Phillips was the name. Based on Twitter today, he should have been a QB.

I just measured my hands how they do at the combine(tip of thumb to tip of pinky in an outstretched hand) and they measured in between 9 1/2 and 9 3/4(which is right about the average NFL QB size, Pickett was at 8 1/2)  My fingers though are relatively short compared to my hand size, I get my size from my palm width. So if they measured my hands they would grade out fine but I dont think palm width is all that beneficial when it comes to holding a football. It seems like a better way to measure qbs is the size from base of hand where it meets the wrist to the tip of the finger.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just measured my hands how they do at the combine(tip of thumb to tip of pinky in an outstretched hand) and they measured in between 9 1/2 and 9 3/4(which is right about the average NFL QB size, Pickett was at 8 1/2)  My fingers though are relatively short compared to my hand size, I get my size from my palm width. So if they measured my hands they would grade out fine but I dont think palm width is all that beneficial when it comes to holding a football. It seems like a better way to measure qbs is the size from base of hand where it meets the wrist to the tip of the finger.  

tiny hands, as well as short arms and a small wingspan for a guy his height.  pickett is weirdly built.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Willis already wowing at the combine, yeah he's going to be the first QB off the board.  

So if we want Willis we better pull the trigger at #2 or we ain't getting him. If you're the Texans and you really want him, do you worry about someone jumping you and trade with Detroit to swap picks? If they do and you're Brad Holmes, what would you expect to get back out a pick swap from the Texans moving up one spot? A 2nd, a 3rd?

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Olave runs a 4.26. That probably moves him into top 15, possibly top 10 territory. 

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

they revised it up.

4.39 was the official time, they were way off. His official time was 1/100th of a second worse than Garrett Wilson’s, and below a handful of other guys.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So if we want Willis we better pull the trigger at #2 or we ain't getting him. If you're the Texans and you really want him, do you worry about someone jumping you and trade with Detroit to swap picks? If they do and you're Brad Holmes, what would you expect to get back out a pick swap from the Texans moving up one spot? A 2nd, a 3rd?

wishful thinking.  that said, when the bears traded up from 3 to 2 to get mitchell "biscuit" trubisky, they gave up #3, #67, #111, and a future third.  so a first, a third, a fourth, and a future third.

that may be too rich, but that would be around the expectation for a move up to #2.

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

4.39 was the official time, they were way off. His official time was 1/100th of a second worse than Garrett Wilson’s, and below a handful of other guys.

Olave chose to not run a second time after thinking he put up the 4.26.   Probably wishes he had that decision back now.