2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

If the Lions think any of these QBs are franchise QBs, they should draft him 2nd. If they don't think any are worthy of the 2nd pick, they probably aren't franchise QBs. 

The Lions are in a good position to draft someone like Willis. They already have a good young OL in place, they have multiple 1st round picks the next two drafts, and they have Goff in place so Willis doesn't need to start immediately. 

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

if you want willis or pickett, you'll have to take them in the top 10.  too many needy qb teams.

carolina at 6.  washington at 9.  pittsburgh.  new orleans.  potentially houston and philly.  minnesota.  atlanta.

lots of qbs are going in round one.

Which pushes down other talented guys: WR's and other defenders, to our spots.

I'm still on board with taking a QB we like IF he falls to #32 (looking extremely unlikely at this point), and if not, take some combo of WR/ LB/ Safety at #32 and #34. Stick with KT or Hutch at 32, and worry about QB next year. DON'T overdraft a QB out of sheer panic... Let other teams panic and overdraft the QB's...

55 minutes ago, buddha said:

if you want willis or pickett, you'll have to take them in the top 10.  too many needy qb teams.

carolina at 6.  washington at 9.  pittsburgh.  new orleans.  potentially houston and philly.  minnesota.  atlanta.

lots of qbs are going in round one.

Flipside:

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer spoke to some NFL talent folks after last week's 2022 Senior Bowl, where Willis, Pickett, and Carson Strong all showed off their skillsets in front of decision-makers from around the league.

The overall vibe from folks in charge of evaluating pro talent? Meh:

"The quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl showed as they were expected to. And that’s not great news. The group, compromised of all the top guys outside of Ole Miss’s Matt Corral, came in perceived to be an average lot. It left Mobile with a lot of NFL folks convinced of that. A couple of veteran NFL evaluators told me late in the week that they don’t believe there’s a single NFL starter in this year’s quarterback class. Not everyone was that harsh, but it was unanimous that these quarterbacks aren’t close to last year’s — and most agreed that all five of last year’s first-round signal-callers would’ve been the top guy at the position in the 2022 draft."

I just can't bring myself to get back on board the Willis hype train as I was at the beginning of the season given the subpar season he had, the obvious accuracy and decision making issues he displays and given whose available next year. Maybe Stroud and Bryce Young flame out next year as prospects ala a Spencer Rattler, but right now, it seems both have higher upsides than anyone in this years QB class.

The more stories I read about these qbs the more I'm sticking to my guns of not wanting to take one with any of our picks. 

Yes evaluators can be wrong but majority of the time when it's almost unanimous like this the player doesn't end up panning out and I dont think the Lions are in position to take that risk. 

If we were set everywhere else and only a qb away then perhaps take that chance but were not in that position. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I just can't bring myself to get back on board the Willis hype train as I was at the beginning of the season given the subpar season he had, the obvious accuracy and decision making issues he displays and ...

Andre Ware 2.0?

No thank you.

Wait until 2023. Better QB's available.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Andre Ware 2.0?

No thank you.

Wait until 2023. Better QB's available.

Andre Ware, Tavaris Jackson, Tyrod Taylor, Akili Smith, Daunte Culppeper, Mike McMahon. Willis seems like an athletic guy who happens to be a QB, not the other way around like a Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray who are first rate QBs who happen to be athletic and can extend plays as well. Yes, Willis has a cannon of an arm and can throw on the run. But if those throws are missing their mark and he's not going through the progressions and picking out the correct read, that's a problem. Sure, Josh Allen was turned into a stud by Daboll, Dorsey, and whoever else in Buffalo. But for every Josh Allen there are dozens more athletic QBs with big arms who amount to nothing.

Here is what PFF had on Willis:

QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

No quarterback really dominated throughout the course of the week, but Willis’ tools stood out the most in what was essentially a race for QB1. He posted the fastest throw (74 miles per hour) since Zebra Technology started putting chips in the footballs at the Senior Bowl in 2018. He also looked comfortable going through progressions despite never being asked to do that at Liberty. There’s a strong chance he’s the first quarterback off the board in April.

I think this will turn out to be a very hard draft to predict. There is no clear cut top tier of prospects like there usually are and I think teams’ various grades of prospects may differ wildly.

I also think that may lend itself to a large number of trades occurring, as teams see guys they have ranked far higher than other teams slip, they’ll seek to jump up and get him.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:35 PM, Hongbit said:

Evan Neal is the best player in this draft 

I’m seeing some mocks where they have the NC State tackle going first.  I think that’s the school at least.

Maybe a situation where the jets or giants, who both need edge rushers, fall in love with KT or Hutch and are want to move up to 2.   Lions could then get their 2nd and maybe next years 3rd, or something like that.  Then if the lions fall in love with a QB take em.  If no qb, then stay at 2. Willis will be gone by 10 I think.  Probably to the panthers at 6. 

10 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I’m seeing some mocks where they have the NC State tackle going first.  I think that’s the school at least.

Maybe a situation where the jets or giants, who both need edge rushers, fall in love with KT or Hutch and are want to move up to 2.   Lions could then get their 2nd and maybe next years 3rd, or something like that.  Then if the lions fall in love with a QB take em.  If no qb, then stay at 2. Willis will be gone by 10 I think.  Probably to the panthers at 6. 

At this stage there are so many clickbait mocks where writers are changing it up just to get views since nobody wants to keep seeing the same names and places  for months on end. These guys neee content after all  I think Neal should fall in line as the unanimous top tackle when it comes time for pundits to put out their final mocks.   

Mcshay of ESPN and Scouts inc. Put out his latest big board and he has Hutch at number 1 with a grade of 94. After him the next 7 guys he has at 93s, for reference the same as he had Sewell last year. 

I like sites like that which include the grade so you can get a context to just how close the guys are, like the difference between Hutch and the 15th guy is only 3 so all the top half are really close to each other. 

Also the top WR is London at 92 and the 6th Dotson at 89 but then number 7 drops all the way to 81 along with about a half dozen other guys so if we want a WR with our 2nd or 3rd pick but the top 6 are gone we'd probably be better served waiting till later and grabbing a similar rated player.  Much like we did with St. Brown last year. 

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

2021 Draft related but ESPN put out their redraft today and they still had us taking Sewell with our first pick but interestingly enough they had St.Brown going all the way up to the back of the 1st round. 

I believe they had us picking Alim McNeil in the 2nd instead of Levi Onwuzurike as well. I hope Onwuzurike bounces back strong next year and doesn't continue on the Lions tradition of whiffing on 2nd round picks.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I believe they had us picking Alim McNeil in the 2nd instead of Levi Onwuzurike as well. I hope Onwuzurike bounces back strong next year and doesn't continue on the Lions tradition of whiffing on 2nd round picks.

But McNeil may continue the tradition of strong 3rd round picks such as Jonah Jackson, Kenny Golladay, Tracy Walker, and Graham Glasgow

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm far from giving up on Levi. He's shown flashes of why he was taken as high as he was.

He had those back issues early on, missed most of training camp (after opting out of 2020), and I'm pretty sure I've read that they almost pulled the plug on his season entirely. Even though he fell off the injury report by midseason, back issues can definitely linger as your body learns to compensate and then has to unlearn. Beyond that though, even at UW, Levi was known more disruptively than productively in terms of sacks. He was known as a solid run defender who could stuff the gap, and as someone who would get into the backfield and make stuff happen, but not necessarily be the guy to put the QB to the turf (like Suh was). Levi only recorded 7 sacks in his entire collegiate career.

I think he - more than almost anyone else on the roster - would benefit from the addition of a Hutchinson or Thibedeoux type. A guy like Levi gets sacks when QBs have the pocket closing in on them from the edge and have nowhere to go. A guy like Levi gets attention and notoriety when he can force the QB out of the pocket (even if he doesn't finish) for a guy like Hutchinson or Okwara to finish off.

He needs to improve, but I'm definitely not worried about him yet.

matt miller lions mock today:

1: hutch

1: corrall

2: dotson

3: jalen tolbert wr 

97: cam jurgens c nebraska

176: jack sanborn, lb wisconsin

179: deangelo malone db wku

218: dane belton s iowa (to make kl happy, no doubt)

232: johnny johnson wr oregon

240: thomas booker, dt stanford

seems fine.  not sure i would 1) take dotson because he's a slot receiver and they already have st brown; and 2) double up on receiver if one of the projected linebackers or safeties are there (muma, asomoah, brisker, hill).