2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

29 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

If the Lions stand pat, they will take Thibodeaux. I believe now 100% if they trade back, it will be for a QB.

If someone trades up, it will be for a QB. And this QB year is a bit of a free for all.

I guess if they can trade back to 6 with Carolina or 11 with Washington and still pick up a DE like Karlaftis I would get it, but I hope they don't overthink it. They're either going to get Thibodeaux or Hutchinson as is, either of whom they can project to shore up their most glaring weakness. Give Dorsey pick 32 if he is banging the table for it.

I was all about taking a serious look at Malik Willis at the beginning and middle of the college football season. I still like the idea of what he could become under the right circumstances and assuming he has the tools and maturity to develop his full potential. But with two discernibly better QBs in CJ Stroud and Bryce Young available next year, I want to hold off at this point and wait for one of them if replacing Goff is in the plans for Brad Holmes and company.

Senior Bowl Practice Notes

Pride of Detroit: Kenny Pickett compared to Joe Burrow

“He showcased a live arm, smooth and efficient mechanics, and perhaps most importantly, he didn’t have any bad moments that stood out,” Draft Network’s Bryan Perez wrote. “He did throw an interception that was the result of a bobbled ball by tight end Trey McBride but if any of the National Team’s quarterbacks looked like a prospect who could end up being a first-round pick, it was Pickett.”

The Draft Network wasn’t the only ones to praise Pickett on Tuesday, as Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy compared him to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow earlier in the day.

“I know that just the way he’s wired and spending time around him and the kind of guy he is, and talking with the guys at the Manning (Passing Academy) that have been around him and the guys at Pitt, he’s going to crush this process,” Nagy said via Dave Birkett of the Free Press. “I think he’s already starting to in the interviews right now. He’s got a really cool way about him. Kind of reminds me a little bit of Burrow when I got to know Joe through this process. He’s just, guys gravitate to him. He’s a leader. It comes easy to him. So this is the start of a big week for him.”

Dan Campbell's comments on Malik Willis from day one of Senior Bowl practice: When asked about Willis, Lions HC Dan Campbell said he is “built right” and that he handled the playbook well for Day 1.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Detroit could win 7-9 games next year which would put them in the 10-15 range in the draft. If Stroud or Young are monster prospects there is no guarantee that they can even trade up to get one of them.

They will maneuver around in this draft and take one of the Picket/Willis/Howell unless they are totally underwhelmed. Where was Lance predicted to go at this time last year? One of these guys could blow up and and go at 2.

I used to be one of those "defense wins championships" fans but the modern era of football, especially the last decade, has proven that theory totally wrong. I spent the better part of five years ragging on Matt Stafford and living under the belief that he couldn't get it done when it mattered most, ie the playoffs. The way the league has gone and how Matt Stafford stepped up during these playoffs proved me wrong. 3 of the 4 teams (Bengals, Chiefs, Rams) in the AFC/NFC Championship games were lead by elite or very good QBs and QBs who have some mobility. Those same 3 teams have a series of electric playmakers on offense. Including Buffalo and Arizona in the mix, those two teams while bounced before the Championship game, have top-tier QBs and playmakers leading their offenses as well.

Knowing all of this I want the Lions to join the club of having a great/elite QB and 2-3 explosive weapons on offense. We need playmakers who can create space and separation. Guys who make turn busted plays into big plays and extend drives. Guys who are YAC monsters when it comes to pass catching, whether in the backfield, at the line of scrimmage, or midfield. Those are the things that the Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Tyreek Hill, Stefan Diggs, Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Travis Kelce can all do. We don't have a big time QB who can play make and extend drives. We don't have an offensive weapon at, let alone multiple, who can do that. I think St. Brown is a very promising rookie and with the right play calling, Swift could be another solid weapon too for pass catching.

I think the next two offseasons present us with a chance to completely transform our offensive skillset and make us one of the dynamic offenses in the NFL. I think Holmes over the next two drafts, not even counting free agency, has a real opportunity to remake this offensive roster and give us the playmakers we need to compete with the big boys. Sure, anyone of the players we pick could bust out. Any QB we pick, this year or next, could be a total bust.

That said, if we went into the 2024 season with an offensive arsenal that looked like this, and assuming we can draft and develop these players, I'd be much more exciting burning most of our top picks in rounds 1 through 3 on offense versus balancing our offense/defense evenly in the draft or even going straight defense like Carolina did a few years back. If we have to move up to get Stroud our Young in the 2023 draft I'd do it. I would trade future draft capital to do it.

QB: CJ Stroud/Bryce Young (drafted in 2023)

RB #1: D'Andre Swift, RB #2: Jamaal Williams

WR #1: Treylon Burks/Drake London (drafted in 2022), WR #2: Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR #3: John Metchie III/Justyn Ross/George Pickens (drafted in 2022)

TE #1: TJ Hockenson

Then you add in any potential free agent signings like an Allen Robinson or DJ Chark or whomever, that's a really solid foundation to become one of those elite offensive units and make noise in the playoffs.

i dont think swift is a #1 running back.  he's a good third down back.  a good change of pace guy, but he's not a guy you gice the ball to 25 times a game.

that said, you dont need a guy you give the ball to 25 times a game anymore.

the lions need a big upgrade at so many positions.  qb and wr being the two biggest on offense.  getting another play making rb would be good too.  and, not to be a downer, but hockenson isnt anything special at tight end.  he's not gronk, kelce, or kittle.  he doesnt block well and he doesnt make big plays down the field.  he's dalton schultz except we took him in round 1 instead of round 8.  if there's an athletic freak really raw tight end prospect in round 6, the lions should consider it.

on defense they have to upgrade the secondary and linebacker for sure.  we drafted two dts last year and mcneill played well, but levi did not.  jury is still out on him.  they really need to get some speed at corner or safety.  you can bring back walker but dont overpay.  the idea of okudah being a top corner might be done.  will okwara come back healthy from the achilles?  so many question marks.  they could still use another defensive tackle, end, corner, safety and linebacker.

ideally, if there is no qb worth taking in round one, you'd like to see them get at least one wr, defensive end, and linebacker for sure.  then take your best athletes at other positions.

hutchinson/thibs or jermaine johnson if you want to wait or trade down

burke/olave/meetchie/pickens.  tons of wide receivers to choose from.

hill/brisker/gardner if he falls.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id be disappointed if we went QB 2 cause I feel if you were gonna do that you might as well have taken Fields last year who was a superior prospect to any of these qbs.

I mean I love Sewell but Id rather have Fields and Hutch/Thibs/Neal than Sewell and Pickett/Willis.  

Fields looked awful last year.

36 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Fields looked awful last year.

It's a small sample and he is a rookie which isn't unusual. Lawrence looked awful as well but I would gladly take him over anybody in this class.  Also Fields showed some promise.  According to PFF he had one of highest "big time throws" percentage in football which is a good indicator of just how talented he is and the upside he has.

Edited by RandyMarsh

I didn't want Fields or any qb last year cause I was and am of the belief that you should build up the rest of your team first so the qb has the best chance to succeed but if you're going to take one just 1 year later that obviously wasn't your intentions so to me in that case you should've just taken a QB in the superior draft class.

After all it wasn't like last year at this time there were any guys that people were super excited about in this draft. There was Howell,  Rattler and a couple others but none were seen as these premium can't miss qb prospects and I think the consensus at the time was that Fields was better than any of them. 

There are QB's in every single draft (obviously some are better than others...) so... I am fully on board with building this team up and then grabbing the right QB at the right time...

Even if we finish in the 12-ish draft pick range next year and have to trade (3) 1sts + more to go up and get whoever is the 2nd QB between Young and Stroud if they are our true QB of the future... 

When it comes time to pay the price to get our QB we just...

Pay the price.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

There are QB's in every single draft (obviously some are better than others...) so... I am fully on board with building this team up and then grabbing the right QB at the right time...

Even if we finish in the 12-ish draft pick range next year and have to trade (3) 1sts + more to go up and get whoever is the 2nd QB between Young and Stroud if they are our true QB of the future... 

When it comes time to pay the price to get our QB we just...

Pay the price.

Agreed

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't want Fields or any qb last year cause I was and am of the belief that you should build up the rest of your team first so the qb has the best chance to succeed but if you're going to take one just 1 year later that obviously wasn't your intentions so to me in that case you should've just taken a QB in the superior draft class.

After all it wasn't like last year at this time there were any guys that people were super excited about in this draft. There was Howell,  Rattler and a couple others but none were seen as these premium can't miss qb prospects and I think the consensus at the time was that Fields was better than any of them. 

I agree with this. Fields may end up being a great QB. It sure seems the Bears are doing everything they can to prevent that though by replacing coach in year two and starting a rebuild. When the rest of the club is ready to compete, he’ll be in year four and they’re going to be trying to figure out whether to pickup his option or not.

Unless he’s Deshaun Watson and can shine in a pile of shit, it’s very possible that they move on at that time (for Eberflus’ “guy”), when Fields never really got the chance with weapons and a quality offensive line.

A guy like Goff is a luxury. He’s not a guy you have to move on from in the near future. He’s not a guy who will inhibit the development of your other prospects. You can keep him as your starter for 2, 3, 4 years, before moving and getting your face of the franchise, whenever that makes sense. Maybe that’s 22, maybe it’s 23, maybe it’s even 24. When that next guy joins though, he should be surrounded by talent.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

By February of last year I was exited about both Justin Fields and Trey Lance and had them on my list of players, along with Sewell and Chase, that I wanted the Lions to consider. I'm glad we have Goff and also glad that went with Sewell last year. We have the chance to build up a team around a prospective rookie QB first, instead of dropping them straight into a dumpster fire of a roster. That said, I think a lot of Lions fans and some in the media were all on the Fields and Lance bandwagons at this point last year.

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

It doesn't look like any QB stood out in the Senior Bowl so i think we can rule out taking one at 2. If they fell in love with one of them I still believe they will move to the necessary area to get one. Assuming they are set on moving on from Goff as soon as possible.

if you want willis or pickett, you'll have to take them in the top 10.  too many needy qb teams.

carolina at 6.  washington at 9.  pittsburgh.  new orleans.  potentially houston and philly.  minnesota.  atlanta.

lots of qbs are going in round one.