2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

This isn't really true though. It was Lawrence at 1, Wilson at 2 and Lance or Fields as a toss up for 3rd QB taken with Jones sneaking up late. There was tons of chatter of teams looking to trade up for months before the draft hit. The QB desire in this draft isn't even in the same stratosphere even when compared the top QB on the board to the 5th QB on the board last year so I can't imagine that the 2nd pick has near the value of what the 3rd pick had last year.

Of course this could change as we near the draft but based on what we know now, no QB seems desirable enough to give up a big haul for.

There were mock drafts as late as draft day that Lance would go to the Lions at 7. A lot believe the 49ers traded up for Mac Jones. Lance was by no means a prospect teams were discussing trading three 1st round picks for in January 2021. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There were mock drafts as late as draft day that Lance would go to the Lions at 7. A lot believe the 49ers traded up for Mac Jones. Lance was by no means a prospect teams were discussing trading three 1st round picks for in January 2021. 

Yes and there were also mocks of Fields going to the Lions at 7. Lance wasn't the clear 4th QB leading up to the draft. The only thing clear was Lawrence going 1st and Wilson going 2nd. It was muddied after that. 

I agree that the trade was a surprise but there was a lot more trade up chatter last year because the QB was significantly better so I wouldn't use that trade as a benchmark for what the Lions could get for the 2nd pick.

As I said before, this seems more like the Okudah draft where the Lions are in a spot that doesn't appear to be a viable trade up spot. I'm sure there will be some rumors leading up to the draft, as always, but I don't see much motivation for teams to trade up that high in the draft.

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

i doubt that too.

12 to 3 cost 3 first rounders.  15 to 2 is an even bigger leap.  has anyone ever done a leap that big in the modern draft?  i dont know.

You don't have to look far.

In April 2016, the Rams traded the 2016 1.15, 2.43, 2.45, 3.76, and a 2017 1st and 3rd round pick, in exchange for 1.1 (Jared Goff), 4.113, and 6.177.

More trades were done following this to shuffle those picks, but Tennessee ended up with Jack Conklin, Austin Johnson, Derrick Henry, Corey Davis, and Jonnu Smith. Rams ended up with Goff, Pharoh Cooper, and Temarrick Hemingway. I think it goes without saying who won that trade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

3 picks in the mid teens is a massive overpay for #2 in this draft. I think it's completely unrealistic that the Eagles would offer all three of their 1sts for that pick in a draft without an elite QB prospect. IF the Eagles offer that, you run away laughing. Maybe it's possible that the Eagles love a QB more than just about everybody else does and is willing to offer a haul for #2 but I think it's pretty unrealistic.

That's why in my original post I mentioned 2 of the 3 Eagles picks, #15 and #16. I too don't think it would be realistic to expect all 3 1sts from the Eagles given the lack of an elite QB prospect in this draft.

To answer my own question on taking 2 1sts and a future pick from the Eagles in exchange for #2 overall, I would probably pass on the deal. I think that Hutch and Thib are game changing playemakers on the edge and will help us get after the QB and disrupt offensive drives. We have zero playmakers on this defense and ranked in the bottom 5 in sacks, QB hurries, and pressure. Improving the front of the defensive line by acquiring game wrecking playmakers will make the back 7-8 look better. I know this team needs talent all around, but we eventually have to acquire playmakers and game changers at some positions. We have a chance to do that this year on the edge and so I don't think I'd pass that opportunity up.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You don't have to look far.

In April 2016, the Rams traded the 2016 1.15, 2.43, 2.45, 3.76, and a 2017 1st and 3rd round pick, in exchange for 1.1 (Jared Goff), 4.113, and 6.177.

More trades were done following this to shuffle those picks, but Tennessee ended up with Jack Conklin, Austin Johnson, Derrick Henry, Corey Davis, and Jonnu Smith. Rams ended up with Goff, Pharoh Cooper, and Temarrick Hemingway. I think it goes without saying who won that trade. 

Not to get too far into the weeds of technicalities, but didn't the Rams win that trade because they appeared in a Super Bowl and the Titans didn't? Isn't the Super Bowl what we're all after here?

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Not to get too far into the weeds of technicalities, but didn't the Rams win that trade because they appeared in a Super Bowl and the Titans didn't? Isn't the Super Bowl what we're all after here?

I think it's a little simplistic to say that because the Rams went to the Super Bowl, it makes every move they made in the lead-up to the 2018-19 season a good one.

If the Rams hadn't made the trade, selected Derrick Henry themselves, and rode out 2016 with Case Keenum or whoever, they still would have likely gone around 4-12 in 2016. Then, without Goff, if they were looking for a QB at #5 in 2017 (where the Titans picked Corey Davis), they could have selected between Mahomes and Watson. Couldn't they have gone to the Super Bowl in 2018-19 anyway with one of them? And maybe won it too?

Hindsight is 20/20, and I agree that it's easy to get in the weeds with something like this, but all told in a vacuum, I think I would rather be the team that picked up a two-time All Pro OT, arguably the best RB in the NFL right now, and a serviceable NT, WR, and TE, over the team that picked up Jared Goff and two players who aren't in the NFL right now... I will say that it's interesting to me that of all the players involved in that trade, the only one still on the team that drafted him is Derrick Henry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... Of course, if Pickett does take that leap, Jacksonville may be a more likely trade partner for them, given that they may feel they need to jump Detroit too.

Why would they feel the need to jump ahead of Detroit if we are trying to trade down with them?

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Why would they feel the need to jump ahead of Detroit if we are trying to trade down with them?

I'm saying that if a QB takes a Burrow-like rise, the Lions may be interested as well, so a team would need to jump us as well. The only team in the top three that has absolutely zero interest in a long-term answer at QB is the Jags.

Of course, with the presumption that we are answering and entertaining their call, then it's a moot point.

5 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Is there anyone outside of this board talking about Philly moving up? I’m not seeing it. 

They just made the playoffs. They play in a weak division with only Dallas as a threat. Their GM just publicly committed to starting Hurts next season, so they...

Are they desperate for a pass-rusher? If they think it's Hutch or KT and no one is even in the same ballpark it could be a reason to move up... 

But yeah, I don't see it based on a QB...

28 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm saying that if a QB takes a Burrow-like rise, the Lions may be interested as well, so a team would need to jump us as well. The only team in the top three that has absolutely zero interest in a long-term answer at QB is the Jags.

Of course, with the presumption that we are answering and entertaining their call, then it's a moot point.

Yeah I was taking that as the Lions don't think Pickett is all that and would be entertaining trade-down offers.

If someone jumps up to 1-1 to take Pickett... that does nothing but help out the Lions...

(I'm not enamored enough with Pickett to take a Burrows-like leap... not even close...).

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Are they desperate for a pass-rusher? If they think it's Hutch or KT and no one is even in the same ballpark it could be a reason to move up... 

But yeah, I don't see it based on a QB...

Maybe if Chase Young draft was in this draft. Or one of the Bosas. But they are generally seen to be a tier above this year’s crop. 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:59 PM, TP_Fan said:

I like the mocks that have lions taking Hutchinson and Malik Willis. 

While I love the potential of what Willis could become, I am terrified of what he will actually be. Sure, he could be our Josh Allen or Deshaun Watson. He could be that mobile QB with a big arm, who can make all the throws, and extend plays with his mobility. But if history is any judge, given the number of QBs who have the raw talent and don't ever turn it into anything great, it's more likely he'll be a bust. He'll become our Daunte Culpepper at best and Tavaris Jackson, Jason Campbell or Andre Ware at worst.

Every scouting report I read and every highlight video I watch showcases the two major problems in Willis' game, accuracy issues and decision making. Looking at this stats, his QBR and completion % went down from his 3rd to 4th year. He had a higher passer rating and completion % than Allen did at Wyoming, but their offenses and situations were different. Again, going back to the Allen comparison, for every Josh Allen who turns it around, there are dozens who never develop into anything special.

If I am the Lions and have the chance to draft one of Bryce Young or CJ Stroud next season, I'm passing on a QB this year and that includes Willis, enticing as it may be.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I recall Brad Holmes mentioning this when he came over. 

Yeah he definitely did cause it was the first time I personally have ever heard of gps data being used to track guys speeds.  Btw you think the league would have known that play speed differs from straight 40 time when the greatest WR ever Jerry Rice ran like a 4.7 40 yet on the field would blow by guys.