2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Ill support the pick if that happens but I hope it doesn't.  My philosophy is that if you don't think the QB is worth taking at 2 then chances are he's not going to amount to much in the NFL. Also I don't think the Lions are in position to just take a flyer on a QB and hope that he is one of the outliers that get drafted late in the 1st or after and pan out. 

McShay has us taking Hutch and Howell in his latest mock. I will say if we decide to go QB at 32 Howell is the guy I like the most.  I think he offers the best combination of upside and floor.

I don't think he's ever going to be the elite top 5 guy but I think if all goes well he could be above average in that 10 to 12 range that can sprinkle in some elite years, kinda like a Matt Ryan.

51 minutes ago, KL2 said:

That trade would leave us stuck in the mud

Sarcasm mode was on. It will not happen. Now is the time of year when mock draft websites goose their traffic by allowing fans to propose outrageous trades and then allowing bloggers to write about them like they are serious.  

I will say I think Holmes should at least engage Philadelphia (and pretty much every team in between us and Philly) in conversation about their interest in moving up. Not all three picks, they’d hang up on him. If they would consider trading two of 15/16/19 for #2 though, I would strongly consider it, even though the draft chart says we would be losing that trade by quite a bit.

Having two prospects in the teens is greater than having one in the top five this draft. IMO.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I will say I think Holmes should at least engage Philadelphia (and pretty much every team in between us and Philly) in conversation about their interest in moving up. Not all three picks, they’d hang up on him. If they would consider trading two of 15/16/19 for #2 though, I would strongly consider it, even though the draft chart says we would be losing that trade by quite a bit.

Having two prospects in the teens is greater than having one in the top five this draft. IMO.

Why would they hang up for all three picks? It's not that far off base IMO. The Redskins gave up 3 picks in the RG3 trade. The Rams in the Goff trade gave us 2 1sts and in the trade with the Titans gave up 2 1sts and a 2nd. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why would they hang up for all three picks? It's not that far off base IMO. The Redskins gave up 3 picks in the RG3 trade. The Rams in the Goff trade gave us 2 1sts and in the trade with the Titans gave up 2 1sts and a 2nd. 

Maybe hanging up is hyperbolic, but I think it’s widely known that there is no bluechip can’t-miss prospect in this class. If the Eagles were desperate for a QB and RG3 or Goff were sitting at 1.2 it would be a different story. I don’t see them sacrificing three starters for Hutch or Thib. Maybe two, but not three.

EJ Perry, QB from Brown intrigues me as a late-round developmental pickup. Should be available in the 6th/7th round.

Athletic as all get-out and tough as nails. Expected to run a 40 in the 4.5s, and the biggest concern is a propensity to make bad decisions (high number of picks). I would be interested to see what he could do with proper NFL coaching. I could see his ceiling as a Taysom Hill type, who can play QB but also be on the field with another QB as just a plain weapon. He's got the smarts to be a career backup too if that doesn't pan out, which is not a bad get from the 6th or 7th round.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Nobody in this draft class is of Goff’s or RGIII’s caliber as a prospect. Maybe some team will talk itself into going after Willis but I would not bet on Philly or NYG doing so.

Denver has some 2s, but they don’t seem interested in a QB prospect. Washington? Snyder is erratic enough to mortgage the future but this would require future picks to complete. If they could work something out with WFT it would give Detroit three 1s next season though, which would almost assure them of getting their choice of next year’s QBs. 

15 hours ago, buddha said:

why any team would waste a pick on a late round qb is beyond me.  ask brad kayaa.  i remember thinking that was a great pick because he droppes in the draft.  it wasnt.  just another wasted pick.

no late round qbs.  ever.

I don't know, I think it just depends on your expectations for the pick. You can't expect your 6th round QB to ever become your starter (i.e., Brady), but that is also the case for most positions in the 6th and 7th rounds (special teams excluded).

If you pick up EJ Perry and he turns into a serviceable backup QB in the NFL with a ten-year career, perhaps with some rare packages as a rotational athlete where both he and Goff/Whoever are on the field, I think that's a much better outcome than picking up a 6th Round depth lineman who ultimately doesn't make the team out of camp. And if Perry does turn into Kayaa, well it's really no different than if they had taken that 6th round tackle. 

Fun fact I learned today, Jeremiah Ledbetter and Pat O'Connor were the two players taken before and after Brad Kaaya in the 2017 NFL Draft, at 6.205 and 7.250, respectively. Both were out of Detroit by the start of the 2018 season. Both now have Super Bowl rings from time with the Buccaneers. Doesn't help my argument, but it was too good not to share.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

why any team would waste a pick on a late round qb is beyond me.  ask brad kayaa.  i remember thinking that was a great pick because he droppes in the draft.  it wasnt.  just another wasted pick.

no late round qbs.  ever.

I agree that taking a QB is rounds 2-5 is not worth the pick, but I'd be willing to burn a 6th or 7th on one if we had an extra pick. How many 6th and 7th rounders at any position end up as starters or even make a team long term. If we had an extra 6th or 7th to use, EJ Perry is the guy I'd use it on this year. I posted a highlight reel of his a couple of pages back, but you know my track record with QBs, so probably best we don't pick Perry.

37 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Looking at the PFF mock. Quick question, what is it about Skye Moore that makes him a first or second round option at WR?

I don't follow the MAC.

good receiver.  fast.

iirc, he'll be a slot receiver and the lions already have one of those in st brown.

I love Skye Moore but no way I'm taking him with the Rams pick or our 2nd rounder which brings me to Justin Rogers of the News Mock. He has us taking David Bell from Purdue with the Rams pick and says "In this scenario the Lions miss out on all the number 1 WRs so they'll have to settle for Bell who should make a good number 2." See this is the strategy I hate.

If the Lions miss out on all the guys they feel could be number 1 WRs don't just take the next best 1 cause you feel you need to take a WR there. It's not about the rankings of guys it's about the tiers, you don't reach for a guy on the same tier when you can get another one a round or two later.  

• Like 1