2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I really like Hamilton as an option if Hutch or trade down can't happen. I know conventional wisdom suggests that is way too early for a safety but I think he is so much more than just a standard safety. He can provide value in a number of a different ways and unlike players at other positions he is the defacto number 1 at his. 

I think many had that idea, but then he tested very poorly at the combine. Do you want to take the slowest safety at No. 2?

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

I think many had that idea, but then he tested very poorly at the combine. Do you want to take the slowest safety at No. 2?

I suppose I should've checked his combine numbers before posting. Of course watching him on film he appears to play very fast so perhaps he is one of those guys who's game speed is faster than their 40 suggests. 

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I really like Hamilton as an option if Hutch or trade down can't happen. I know conventional wisdom suggests that is way too early for a safety but I think he is so much more than just a standard safety. He can provide value in a number of a different ways and unlike players at other positions he is the defacto number 1 at his. 

Me too.  I could definitely take him over Hutchison as I think we have a better front 4 than back 7 and watching almost all of Hamilton's games the past 3 seasons, he can completely change how a defense is played.  His instincts and game speed are as good as anyone I have seen.  His ability to make plays at the line of scrimmage or in the back end of the defense are definitely different than a normal safety.  And he is one I would definitely trust GPS time more than 40 time as he was definitely one of the fastest players on the field.  I definitely have no problem taking Hutch and probably would do it myself, but Hamilton is definitely my next choice.

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Thibodeaux impressed me at the combine.   Great speed and bench combo.   Exactly what people were looking to see.  Not sure why it was a big deal that he chose to not participate in anything else.    He’s moved ahead of Hutch for me.  

because of an interview?

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Because he ran 4.58 with a 1.59 split and then put up 27 reps on bench.    He crushed it. 

hutch's numbers will very similar and he's been healthier and a better player in college against better competition.

i dont think either of them are world beaters, but thibs seems to have more athletic-ness from the position and hutch seems to be more productive and bigger, but a little stiffer with shorter arms than you might like. 

I think we all feel burnt as Lions fans about defensive backs on the slower end of the scale after Teez Tabor. However, average, slow, fast, it doesn't matter, I don't think Hamilton should be in consideration at #2. Even if we trade back there are guys like Travon Walker, George Karlaftis, Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, and Derek Stingley Jr. that I would consider over Hamilton. I think we can address getting a good starting caliber Safety better in free agency with a Marcus Williams or Jesse Bates type of player than using a pick on Hamilton or Lewis Cine with our higher first round pick. Were Cine or Hamilton there at #32 or #34, then I'd be all about it.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think we all feel burnt as Lions fans about defensive backs on the slower end of the scale after Teez Tabor. However, average, slow, fast, it doesn't matter, I don't think Hamilton should be in consideration at #2. Even if we trade back there are guys like Travon Walker, George Karlaftis, Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, and Derek Stingley Jr. that I would consider over Hamilton. I think we can address getting a good starting caliber Safety better in free agency with a Marcus Williams or Jesse Bates type of player than using a pick on Hamilton or Lewis Cine with our higher first round pick. Were Cine or Hamilton there at #32 or #34, then I'd be all about it.

you can get a safety in round 2 (or maybe 3).  no need for hamilton at #2.

and i would take gardner before stingley.  

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

hutch's numbers will very similar and he's been healthier and a better player in college against better competition.

i dont think either of them are world beaters, but thibs seems to have more athletic-ness from the position and hutch seems to be more productive and bigger, but a little stiffer with shorter arms than you might like. 

Hutch played on a much better defense and that certainly aided his production.  Having another stud on the other side like Ojabo was also huge.   

I think these guys are pretty close which  in itself is a tribute to Hutch since Thibs started the draft cycle rated much farther ahead.    

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Hutch played on a much better defense and that certainly aided his production.  Having another stud on the other side like Ojabo was also huge.   

I think these guys are pretty close which  in itself is a tribute to Hutch since Thibs started the draft cycle rated much farther ahead.    

i dont know if either of them are your traditional #1 overall picks for defensive ends.  thibs seems like a guy with higher athletic upside as a pass rusher.  people talk about clowney but i dont see that at all, clowney was a monster.  just like the people who think hutch is jj watt are bound to be disappoinyed.  the comp i read for hutch was kyle van den bosch.  solid guy who plays well but isnt a hall of famer.

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont know if either of them are your traditional #1 overall picks for defensive ends.  thibs seems like a guy with higher athletic upside as a pass rusher.  people talk about clowney but i dont see that at all, clowney was a monster.  just like the people who think hutch is jj watt are bound to be disappoinyed.  the comp i read for hutch was kyle van den bosch.  solid guy who plays well but isnt a hall of famer.

I think the Clowney comparison comes from both being the top rated recruit coming out of HS as a DE and both performing as a multi year All-American in college.     They have had very similar paths to this point even though they do have different styles.   

5 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The surprisingly intelligent and articulate Ryan Leaf's take on the combine from the Eisen show

I loved him talking about hand size on this same show. He showed his hands and I believe he said they measured at 10 3'4, whatever it was the other dude looked it up and confirmed that Leaf's hands were bigger than all other QBs in the league right now. Leaf then goes "Yeah and we all saw how well my big hands worked out for me." lol

• Like 1

I know it's all in the cycle of the lead-up to the draft, and that I shouldn't get too annoyed by it..... But this newfound social media and sports radio infatuation with Jordan Davis is blowing my mind. It's like they saw big man go fast and thought that it magically makes him the greatest player ever... Dude recorded 7 sacks over 4 years. Big man is good at what he does, maybe will even become the best in the NFL at it, but he's a bit of a one-trick pony.

If he didn't get sacks and pressure at Georgia, surrounded on all sides by 1st round NFL talent, playing against college offensive lines (although SEC lines), why would he produce them in the NFL? I don't buy the "he was always double teamed" line (as an explanation for why his production is lacking). Derrick Brown, Quinnen Williams, and Ed Oliver are the only DTs taken in the last decade in the top ten. Putting aside the dubious nature of potentially joining that group, they averaged 12 sacks in each of their college careers (despite Williams only playing two years in college and Oliver three compared to Davis' four), surrounded by far inferior talent on the defensive line as Davis was. Also despite Derrick Brown (like Davis) being known more for his run stuffing than his pass rushing.

If you want to bring really successful NFL DTs into the conversation, saying that he'll be the Aaron Donald or Ndamukong Suh of 1st round DTs, they collected 29.5 and 24 college sacks, respectively.

If you're a team that needs a run-stuffing DT big man, and can afford to put aside more pressing needs to fill that hole for the foreseeable future, Davis is your man. If you're a team that desperately needs playmakers (ding ding ding!), he really should not be in consideration in the top half of the 1st round. He's just a better, more athletic, Levi.

51 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I saw where Peter King said his hunch is that the Jags are interested in Hutch at 1. Nothing firm on that, but he's a guy who's opinion I respect.  Would that change anyone's mind on the Lions pick?

i'd probably go thibs at #2 if hutch is gone.

• Like 1

PFF draft analyst Trevor Sikkema said on the NFL Stock Exchange Podcast that he heard Liberty QB Malik Willis has a chance to go at second overall to the Detroit Lions.

The top of this year's draft is more unpredictable than ever before. There is little consensus at the top of the draft and we only have a decent guess as to who goes first overall. This amount of limbo breeds excellent speculation and Willis (6'1/215) is the latest beneficiary. After a stunning combine and Senior Bowl, Willis going in the top-10 has seemed more and more likely. There have been rumors circulating that the Lions are fans of Willis and with their need a quarterback, there is credence to the idea of selecting him at number two overall.

SOURCE: PFF
Mar 8, 2022, 8:54 PM ET
\\

Just regurgitating the earlier post.