2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Combine thoughts from Pride of Detroit

Malik Willis, Liberty, 6-foot-0 1⁄2, 219
Everything looked easy for Willis. Everything. He looked completely relaxed the entire time, interacted with several other competitors, and the stage never looked too big for him.

Willis showed off his impressive arm power multiple times, putting arc on the deep ball and dropping it into a bucket with consistency. When Ohio State receiver Garrett Wilson requested another shot at a deep route (he was way overthrown the first time), it was Willis who, without hesitation, jumped in to throw to him on the route. He also showed a willingness to adjust on the fly. After putting a bit too much steam on his first short throw, Willis took direction and slowed it down for a more catchable ball from that point on.

Willis put on a clinic with his deep passes:

I wish he ran the 40-yard dash on the fast track in Indianapolis, but let's face it, we know he has speed, so there’s not a lot for him to prove.

The thing about Willis is that the question marks that people have about him can't really be answered at the combine.  Like his ability to go through multiple reads, handle more complex defenses and just the overall concerns about the level of competition that he played against.

I guess Trey Lance was somewhat similar and the 49ers gave up a ton to move up to insure him at number 3 so perhaps a team will do the same thing for Willis. 

The Lions need to do everything they can to figure Willis out. Because if they pass on him they are going to have to give up a huge package of picks to trade into the top spots next year, assuming they are picking 10-15. And it will sting double if Willis turns out to be a good QB.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

To the Panthers or to the Broncos? 😆

Washington is itching for a new QB. https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-offered-multiple-first-round-picks-for-russell-wilson-seahawks-declin

Maybe Riverboat Ron will try to resurrect the magic he had with Cam Newton by trading up for Malik Willis. I know, Willis is not as big, but he is faster. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The thing about Willis is that the question marks that people have about him can't really be answered at the combine.  Like his ability to go through multiple reads, handle more complex defenses and just the overall concerns about the level of competition that he played against.

I guess Trey Lance was somewhat similar and the 49ers gave up a ton to move up to insure him at number 3 so perhaps a team will do the same thing for Willis. 

I think Lance is better overall prospect, but not by a lot. He seems better at protecting the football and not turning it over, looking through more than just one read when asked to, and in the one full season he did play had a higher completion % and displayed better touch and accuracy than Willis.

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but if someone was willing to pay the bounty that the 49'ers paid to get Lance for us, that's the trade down I would be interested in making, beyond just swapping picks with the Texans.

I prepared and convinced myself before the combine that I wouldn't allow myself to fall in love with Willis if/when he wow'd everyone. He always made sense as the QB to rise through the process, because someone was going to and Willis is the athletic one of the bunch. I just don't see him as a franchise QB.

He threw three picks to Middle Tennessee State. Another three to Louisiana-Monroe. Against the only two ranked opponents he played, (15) Ole Miss and (22) Louisiana, he went a combined 30/69 (.434) for 335 yards, 2 TDs, 5 picks, and little contribution on the ground. I know he didn't have a ton of weapons at his disposal, and had a sieve of an offensive line at times, but he didn't seem to make what he did have count.

This wasn't some Joe Burrow rise to the National Championship. Using Randy's comp, it wasn't even an incredible FCS run (Lance went the 2019 season throwing 28 TDs and 0 picks while going 16-0). Willis has good numbers and is an athletic QB, but his vision and instincts were mediocre at the college level. Last year, he would have been the 6th or 7th best QB, next to Kyle Trask.

Is it theoretically possible that behind a more competent offensive line he is able to develop into an average NFL QB? I think it is. I also think it is more likely that his lack of vision makes him a poor man's Jameis Winston.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I prepared and convinced myself before the combine that I wouldn't allow myself to fall in love with Willis if/when he wow'd everyone. He always made sense as the QB to rise through the process, because someone was going to and Willis is the athletic one of the bunch. I just don't see him as a franchise QB.

He threw three picks to Middle Tennessee State. Another three to Louisiana-Monroe. Against the only two ranked opponents he played, (15) Ole Miss and (22) Louisiana, he went a combined 30/69 (.434) for 335 yards, 2 TDs, 5 picks, and little contribution on the ground. I know he didn't have a ton of weapons at his disposal, and had a sieve of an offensive line at times, but he didn't seem to make what he did have count.

This wasn't some Joe Burrow rise to the National Championship. Using Randy's comp, it wasn't even an incredible FCS run (Lance went the 2019 season throwing 28 TDs and 0 picks while going 16-0). Willis has good numbers and is an athletic QB, but his vision and instincts were mediocre at the college level. Last year, he would have been the 6th or 7th best QB, next to Kyle Trask.

Is it theoretically possible that behind a more competent offensive line he is able to develop into an average NFL QB? I think it is. I also think it is more likely that his lack of vision makes him a poor man's Jameis Winston.

And based on that...

I never wanted to draft him at the top of the 1st. At the end of the 1st, if he fell, and Brad Holmes and the Detroit coaches felt they could "coach him up", maybe take a shot.

IMO, if some team wants to trade up to our spot to draft Willis and offers a good enough package... I do the trade down. No hesitation.

But it has to be a worthwhile package.

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And based on that...

I never wanted to draft him at the top of the 1st. At the end of the 1st, if he fell, and Brad Holmes and the Detroit coaches felt they could "coach him up", maybe take a shot.

IMO, if some team wants to trade up to our spot to draft Willis and offers a good enough package... I do the trade down. No hesitation.

But it has to be a worthwhile package.

Having the Texans at #3 helps us I think. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see them look to replace Davis Mills at #3.

I’m not at all attached to the #2 pick. If they would take Hutch/Thib at #2, two of Karlaftis/Ojabo/Walker will probably be available at any of 6/9/11. If they’d rather a WR, it makes more sense to take one at 6/9/11 than 2 anyway.

I’m not saying to give away the pick, but I am okay with being a little flexible in our asking price. If any of them offered “just” their 2022 and 2023 1st, it might be a loss on the trade value chart, or compared to what other high 1sts have gone for recently. But it gives us a really good pick this year, plus the ammo we need with a 3rd 2023 1st to hopefully go get Stroud or Young next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Jordan Davis Wow 

If we hadn't already drafted and put so much investment into the DT position last year I'd be all about this kid. I think he's going to be a game wrecking DT along the lines of Suh or a poor man's Aaron Donald. The guy should be more than just a run stuffing nose tackle for sure.

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we hadn't already drafted and put so much investment into the DT position last year I'd be all about this kid. I think he's going to be a game wrecking DT along the lines of Suh or a poor man's Aaron Donald. The guy should be more than just a run stuffing nose tackle for sure.

You would think he should be more than “just” a run stuffing NT, but his college production tells another story. No more than two sacks in a year through his Georgia career. I think they envision Levi as a poor man’s Davis. A big man in the middle who will not be run through.

Travon Walker is who really intrigued me today from a Lions perspective. Ran a damn 4.51 as a hand-in-the-ground DE. I wouldn’t be opposed (depending on how the board fell) to picking him up at 6/9/11 (or maybe even 2 if Hutch is gone) and converting the defense back to more of a 4-3. We need linebackers anyway so it’s not like we’d be forcing an elite edge rushing OLB to the inside.

30 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You would think he should be more than “just” a run stuffing NT, but his college production tells another story. No more than two sacks in a year through his Georgia career. I think they envision Levi as a poor man’s Davis. A big man in the middle who will not be run through.

Travon Walker is who really intrigued me today from a Lions perspective. Ran a damn 4.51 as a hand-in-the-ground DE. I wouldn’t be opposed (depending on how the board fell) to picking him up at 6/9/11 (or maybe even 2 if Hutch is gone) and converting the defense back to more of a 4-3. We need linebackers anyway so it’s not like we’d be forcing an elite edge rushing OLB to the inside.

he's a run stuffing dt.  he's a more athletic ted washington.

he cant stay on the field because he's so big and, as you say, he hardly ever got any pass rush against college olines surrounded by great defensive players.

those guys dont usually go in the top half of round one.  

9 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

This draft is really loaded and deep with premium talent. The Lions should make out pretty well.

Yep. It appears while the very top of the draft is lighter on marquee impact players, the overall depth at places like DL, OL, TE, WR is really good this year.    Holmes and Co should shine.   

I haven't said it yet, but I've admired his work from afar for a while, I watched this receiver last year when I thought we would have a chance to draft his QB last year, and now, after digesting a ton, Christian Watson is my #1 receiver in this draft. I think he's a top ten talent.

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Also, if Hutch goes #1, I would have no problem in drafting either Willis, Watson, or Jordan Davis. Even Jordan Walker. Thibodeaux is a hot mess, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Davis should not be a top five pick. He might sneak into the top ten, but even that would be extremely high for a player like him. He will be a wall of a NT against the run, but he's not likely to be an every down player in the NFL, and he's not productive against the pass. Think of Levi Onwuzurike. Certainly has a valuable, and often underrated role on an NFL team, plugging holes along the line. It's not the type of franchise role that is up there with edge rushers, LTs, and QBs though.

I'm not sure who Watson was supposed to be, but if DeShaun Watson re-enters the draft I'll change my tune about taking a QB at #2. 😄 

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Davis should not be a top five pick. He might sneak into the top ten, but even that would be extremely high for a player like him. He will be a wall of a NT against the run, but he's not likely to be an every down player in the NFL, and he's not productive against the pass. Think of Levi Onwuzurike. Certainly has a valuable, and often underrated role on an NFL team, plugging holes along the line. It's not the type of franchise role that is up there with edge rushers, LTs, and QBs though.

I'm not sure who Watson was supposed to be, but if DeShaun Watson re-enters the draft I'll change my tune about taking a QB at #2. 😄 

We can't burn another pick on a DT unless we're getting the second coming of Suh or Aaron Donald and they are a multi-down, pass rushing type of DT. I believe the Christian he is referring to is WR Christian Watson out of North Dakota State who had a freakishly good combine. I wouldn't take Watson or Drake London at #2 over any of the DE prospects. That said, a guy like Watson should be high on the Lions radar for the #32 or #34 pick, if he lasts that long.

Davis looks like a two down run stuffer. I have a hard time seeing him in the top 20 let alone top 10.

If Hutchinson goes #1 the Lions will have a tough choice. Trayvon Walker tested well, I'd probably take him over Thibiodeaux.

That Georgia defense could have 5 first rounders and 7 in the top 2 rounds. Unbelievable. 

I really like Hamilton as an option if Hutch or trade down can't happen. I know conventional wisdom suggests that is way too early for a safety but I think he is so much more than just a standard safety. He can provide value in a number of a different ways and unlike players at other positions he is the defacto number 1 at his.