2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't see a single QB I would take in the first round and we likely won't be prepared to contend until at least 2023 anyway. I would love to get a truly elite pass rusher and the first quality linebacker the team has seen in ages.

Have you watched highlight on the kid from Liberty Malik Willis? Him and Matt Corral (well until Carroll and Kiffin got blanked by Alabama on Saturday) have been the two QBs I like thus far. And admittedly, I have only watched highlights of Willis and never a full game of Liberty football. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Have you watched highlight on the kid from Liberty Malik Willis? Him and Matt Corral (well until Carroll and Kiffin got blanked by Alabama on Saturday) have been the two QBs I like thus far. And admittedly, I have only watched highlights of Willis and never a full game of Liberty football. 

I think they both have potential, but I think they will both go higher than they should because QBs always do. If we could grab Willis with our second 1st round pick, I would do so. I think he's likely to go in the top 10-15 though because that's what happens every year to QBs who should go in the back end of the 1st round.

If one of those guys, or someone else, turns into a franchise-type QB... go for it. I don't see it just yet... but maybe Malik? But if they don't qualify as a franchise-type.. then please just wait until 2023... I don't want to settle for Andre Ware or some other past failure just because we "need" a QB.

Get the right one. End of story.

• Like 1

I want that pass rusher from Oregon or perhaps even Hutchinson. I think both are gonna be studs. I agree with Bombers about going WR with the Rams pick, that's where Id go. 

Unless things drastically change and one of the QBs really breaks out from the pack Id steer clear of drafting one. I think we have way too many holes to risk whiffing on a 1st round QB. He has to be as sure of thing as you can get if you're gonna take one. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I want that pass rusher from Oregon or perhaps even Hutchinson. I think both are gonna be studs. I agree with Bombers about going WR with the Rams pick, that's where Id go. 

Unless things drastically change and one of the QBs really breaks out from the pack Id steer clear of drafting one. I think we have way too many holes to risk whiffing on a 1st round QB. He has to be as sure of thing as you can get if you're gonna take one. 

hutchinson is suddenly a candidate for #1 or #2.

pff called him the best player in america right now.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

hutchinson is suddenly a candidate for #1 or #2.

pff called him the best player in america right now.

I believe Kiper has him 4th overall behind Thibedeux, Stingley Jr. and Neal respectively. I know Michigan hasn't really played any good offenses but to my untrained eye he just pops off the screen, like every play it seems like he either is the one making the play or the one that caused the disruption that lead to the other guy making the play. 

Only watched highlights of Thibedeaux but the experts are comparing him to a Myles Garrett or Chase Young when they were in school.  Could be back to back years we take an Oregon player with our first pick. 

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know Michigan hasn't really played any good offenses but to my untrained eye he just pops off the screen, like every play it seems like he either is the one making the play or the one that caused the disruption that lead to the other guy making the play. 

At some point NFL will catch on a bit, but when was the last time a Michigan defender was good in the NFL? Not saying Hutchinson can't be, but its certaintly a worrisome trend. Michigan keep putting out high defensive picks, and they amount to zippo. Is it scheme, training, physical that doesn't translate?

2 hours ago, KL2 said:

At some point NFL will catch on a bit, but when was the last time a Michigan defender was good in the NFL? Not saying Hutchinson can't be, but its certaintly a worrisome trend. Michigan keep putting out high defensive picks, and they amount to zippo. Is it scheme, training, physical that doesn't translate?

How many Michigan guys have really been picked in the top half of the first or were rated as highly as Hutchinson is projected to be?

Brandon Graham was I believe 10th overall and he's had a solid career.

Devin Bush was off to a great start being on the All Rookie Team before tearing his ACL.

Jabrill Peppers hasn't been great but he's been much better since going to the Giants and is still starting and contributing 5 years after being drafted. Perhaps a little disappointing but for a late 1st not the end of the world. 

Rashan Gary is the lone early pick disappointment that comes to mind and quite frankly he's been a disappointment since he got out of High School so perhaps the finger should be pointed to him. 

Am I missing anybody cause I'm just going off the top of my head, if not I think there have been too few of elite picks that busted to put anything into it.

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

How many Michigan guys have really been picked in the top half of the first or were rated as highly as Hutchinson is projected to be?

Brandon Graham was I believe 10th overall and he's had a solid career.

Devin Bush was off to a great start being on the All Rookie Team before tearing his ACL.

Jabrill Peppers hasn't been great but he's been much better since going to the Giants and is still starting and contributing 5 years after being drafted. Perhaps a little disappointing but for a late 1st not the end of the world. 

Rashan Gary is the lone early pick disappointment that comes to mind and quite frankly he's been a disappointment since he got out of High School so perhaps the finger should be pointed to him. 

Am I missing anybody cause I'm just going off the top of my head, if not I think there have been too few of elite picks that busted to put anything into it.

If this post serious are just through michigan eyes?

No nobody was high as hutchinson (and if you noted i admit he might be fine, who knows). But, Michigan's track record on defensive picks is god awful. 

I went back and did the counting. 13 defensive players picked in the first three rounds, 6 first rounds. 1 pro bowler in Frank Clark. If you count peppers, two starters. That's terrible and to try to justify Graham, Bush, peppers or gary as examples of some type of success is just silly. None of them have had any type of success. They are like the Will Harris' of their teams. 

It's like if me an a Iowa fan uses Spivey as a success story. Well he started some games...

Edited by KL2

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

No nobody was high as hutchinson (and if you noted i admit he might be fine, who knows). But, Michigan's track record on defensive picks is god awful. 

I went back and did the counting. 13 defensive players picked in the first three rounds, 6 first rounds. 1 pro bowler in Frank Clark. If you count peppers, two starters. That's terrible and to try to justify Graham, Bush, peppers or gary as examples of some type of success is just silly. None of them have had any type of success. They are like the Will Harris' of their teams. 

It's like if me an a Iowa fan uses Spivey as a success story. Well he started some games...

the fact that you think brandon graham hasnt been a success lets me know you have no clue what youre talking about.

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Other than to take a shot at Michigan what was the point of making the post to begin with if you concede that none of the players were seen as high as Hutchinson? 

The Lions also have at least 3 comp picks, including a 3rd for losing Golladay. They are minus their 4th (trade with Cleveland), fifth (Trinity Benson) and 7th (ditto) picks. 

1. Their own

1. LA Rams

2. Their own

3. Their own

3. Comp pick

6. Their own

6. Comp pick?

7. Comp pick?

IMO, they need more picks. Trading down would be good.

Edited by Cruzer1

Also, a word about this draft class. I'm not crazy about the talent at the top of the draft. I don't see a superstar in Thibodeaux, he's long and lean, but not super explosive. It's a lean group of wide receivers, but a great group of corners at the top end. Everybody is knocking this QB class, but there is talent there, and there's plenty to choose from. Talent wise, Malik Willis of Liberty might be the most talented player in this class. He has a hose for an arm, and great feet. Similar to Lamar Jackson.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

The Lions also have at least 3 comp picks, including a 3rd for losing Golladay. They are minus their 4th (trade with Cleveland), fifth (Trinity Benson) and 7th (ditto) picks. 

1. Their own

1. LA Rams

2. Their own

3. Their own

3. Comp pick

6. Their own

6. Comp pick?

7. Comp pick?

IMO, they need more picks. Trading down would be good.

the way holmes has been dealing later round picks, maybe he doesnt consider this class all that great either?