2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

On 10/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, buddha said:

the fact that you think brandon graham hasnt been a success lets me know you have no clue what youre talking about.

The fact you have to go back to 2010, when RIch Rod was the head coach shows you totally missed the point

On 10/5/2021 at 9:44 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Other than to take a shot at Michigan what was the point of making the post to begin with if you concede that none of the players were seen as high as Hutchinson? 

That I would question Hutchinson in the fact that other very high rated players from the same school didn't pan out. Sure none of them went 1-2-3. But we're not talking 242. WE're talking 10-11-12. 

If I was a NFL GM I would question what is going on in the Michigan program and whether what they teach/train translates to the NFL. 

Just now, buddha said:

i dont have to go back that far.

dont get mad at me because iowa lost today...

I'm not mad cause Iowa lost. And you didn't have to go back that far, yet one guy you listed in your response was from 2010. Which has little to do with Michigan football today. It was what two or three head coaches a go. My guess is that a lot changes in terms of development between different coaches. 

Or maybe you could site Charles Woodson I mean he played at Michigan too 

The point was under harbaugh they've all been busts. All of em. Doesn't that make you at least say hmmmm is there something going on or is it just a massive coincidence. If I was a GM I'd go wait a sec, these highly rated, highly drafted players all busted out. What's the common demoninator? 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:39 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I always thought Peppers was overrated. I don't want tweeners with my 1st round pick. I want someone who has mastered a position. 

yeah - he and Gary both were more weight room hype than substance on the field. It's not UM's fault if NFL teams fell for it....:classic_tongue:

But then again, how can you blame players for not progressing playing in a Don Brown defense? Like some some of his players he was more hype than substance as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Gary is a great example.  Any one who watched the majority of his snaps knows he left a lot to be desired and was drafted too high.  

gary's been a lot better since the middle of last season.  devin bush is really good, he's just been hurt.  peppers has actually played well in new york.  kwity paye has been good for indy too.

Under Harbaugh I believe Gary and Bush are the only two defenders picked in the top half of the first round and neither was viewed as highly as Hutchinson(assuming he carries this grade to the rest of the year). While Gary has been a disappointment he's starting to turn it on a bit this year now so if he continues this positive trend he may pan out.  As mentioned Bush made the All Rookie team and looked like a future stud before tearing his ACL last year.  I just don't think there is enough of a sample size to determine one way or another. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

BTW in terms of the draft I know Cruzer isn't a fan of Thibedeaux but God damn does he impress me. Watched the game last night and he was in the backfield seemingly every play, the numbers say he "only" had a QB hurry 50% of the plays which is phenomenal as is but it looked like even more than that to me.

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Under Harbaugh I believe Gary and Bush are the only two defenders picked in the top half of the first round and neither was viewed as highly as Hutchinson(assuming he carries this grade to the rest of the year). While Gary has been a disappointment he's starting to turn it on a bit this year now so if he continues this positive trend he may pan out.  As mentioned Bush made the All Rookie team and looked like a future stud before tearing his ACL last year.  I just don't think there is enough of a sample size to determine one way or another. 

Yeah - Gary is probably the measure of how bad the coaching at M must have been. Obviously he has the physical tools and obviously he was highly thought of as a prep. If he's getting better under better coaching in the NFL what does that tell you about player development at UM? 

It would appear the most charitable reading you can make for Harbaugh is that he fell asleep on his staff and either he woke up or maybe Manuel had to kick him in the butt to make the staff changes that seem to have at last breathed a little life into the program.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Gary is probably the measure of how bad the coaching at M must have been. Obviously he has the physical tools and obviously he was highly thought of as a prep. If he's getting better under better coaching in the NFL what does that tell you about player development at UM? 

It would appear the most charitable reading you can make for Harbaugh is that he fell asleep on his staff and either he woke up or maybe Manuel had to kick him in the butt to make the staff changes that seem to have at last breathed a little life into the program.

i think harbaugh isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, and he loses attention after a while.  after about 3 or 4 years he needs to move on.  he was really good for the first three or four years at michigan and then he stopped being the super recruiter he was early on.  got set in his ways with guys who couldnt recruit the way they needed (looking at you, don brown).  last year must have woken him up because he finally got a bunch of young dudes.  we'll see if it pays off.  theyre going to need a big finish in the season to get anything special out of this year's class.

and he needs to learn to play the transfer portal.  but that might be more of the administration's fault and michigan thinking it has admissions standards for football players (which cost them xavier worthy).

you would think a school like michigan would make it easy for the players to make nil money, but NOOOOOOO, not michigan.  idiots.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

and he needs to learn to play the transfer portal.  but that might be more of the administration's fault and michigan thinking it has admissions standards for football players (which cost them xavier worthy).

you would think a school like michigan would make it easy for the players to make nil money, but NOOOOOOO, not michigan.  idiots.

meh - they can find kids that can cut it. It's all a matter of the investment they are willing to make to find them. 

But don't expect any big institutional changes - we now have a lame duck President.

45 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think harbaugh isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, and he loses attention after a while.  

One way of the other I think this is Harbaugh's last coaching stop. I could see them easing him into a long mentorship of a rising young coach like Hart at the end of which the program was all in the hands of the younger man other than the title at which point Jim rides off into the sunset. Maybe we are seeing the beginning of that now.

Just playing around here...

I'm ranking starting QB's in the NFL, 26 and under... based only on production, not future potential (that also means it doesn't matter if you have an awesome team that helps get those numbers, or a crappy team that brings him down... just production only):

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Deshaun Watson

4. Justin Herbert

5. Josh Allen

6. Joe Burrow

7. Jalen Hurts

8. Trevor Lawrence (way too low here and I expect some big numbers in the future and a corresponding rise to/ near the top... but he doesn't have those big numbers... yet.)

9. Baker Mayfield

10. Daniel Jones

11. Tua Tagovailoa

12. Mac Jones (could rise with more experience?)

13. Kyle Allen

14. Sam Darnold

15. Drew Lock (honorable mention as he was a starter last year)

16. Zach Wilson (could rise with more experience?)

17. Trey Lance (could rise with more experience?)

18. Justin Fields  (could rise with more experience?)

19. Dwayne Haskins (was a part-time starter for two years... is he washed out or does he get a second chance after Big Ben falters...?)

So here's a question: Is there a 2022 QB Prospect that can rank into the top 8 or 9 young QB's in the NFL? With the guys above? Because I don't see that with Corral. He's more of a 10-16 young NFL QB-guy to me, in which I'm not interested. I'd rather wait until 2023. If Malik Willis fits into that top 8 or 9... I'm interested in using our 2022 1st rounder for him.

Just a thought...

1 hour ago, buddha said:

do we wait for cj stroud?

If we are waiting until 2023 to draft than Bryce Young from Bama and Anthony Richardson from Florida (at this point) likely become options in addition to Stroud. If we passed on a QB this year I wouldn't have a problem because we still won't be good enough to win anything of note next year.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we are waiting until 2023 to draft than Bryce Young from Bama and Anthony Richardson from Florida (at this point) likely become options in addition to Stroud. If we passed on a QB this year I wouldn't have a problem because we still won't be good enough to win anything of note next year.

we'll see how the process plays out but right now none of the qb prospects seem to be that great or worthy of the #1 pick.

They wait another year for a QB they are definitely writing off 2022. And if they improve just a little next year they will be picking out of the top 5. I would be against taking a guy later in the draft that they obviously don't believe in, and then having to give him a couple years.

DeShaun Watson will be available and the Lions would probably have the best set of draft picks to offer the Texans.

Or you wait another year 

No easy answers there.

Edited by Stanley70