2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, sagnam said:

On the second clip it’s clear that he was throwing to the wide open receiver that sat in the zone and the receiver crossing in front actually broke up the play.  Makes the whole analysis sort of lose its luster that he doesn’t notice that.

Pickett had two options there, the guy crossing midfield and the guy running the pattern up the sideline. I think Pickett had picked up both guys and just trusted his arm to make the deeper throw to the guy running up the sideline. I think it would have been safer and smarter to strike as the guy was crossing midfield, right as he was passing behind the ref. JT O'Sullivan (former Lions QB whose analyzing here) called it borderline dangerous in the video. I don't know, the defender jumped for the ball, which was clearly placed over his head by Pickett, and the throwing window wasn't really that tight sans the defender jumping at it.

I've seen Pickett start getting compared to Joe Burrow given his rise up the boards this season, but Burrow had a completion % that was a full 10 points better than Pickett has now. Granted, Burrow had Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall Jr. to throw the ball to. Pickett has from what I've seen, maybe one possible NFL-caliber wideout, where Burrow had three first round picks.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

On 10/20/2021 at 11:49 AM, Stanley70 said:

Goff is playing without the best two players on offense, both offensive lineman. Plus they are breaking a rookie at LT who is struggling. His top 2 receivers are also out and what is left at the WR group is waiver wire fodder. Plus it's a new offense for him and a new offensive coordinator for the entire team. He appears to be a QB who just can not function if he doesn't have pieces around him. 

Goff is probably a career back up from here on out but this is a horrible situation for any QB. My main criticism of the off season was that they didn't bring in enough at WR to give Goff someone to throw to so they could properly evaluate him.  Although most of the FO came from the Rams so they should have known what they were getting. If they have already given up on him then acquiring him has to be considered a mistake, given that there were other offers out there that didn't include taking on a QB with 100 million left on his contract. Plus they passed on Fields and Jones at 7.

When teams don't have a QB they get desperate and the Lions will turn over as many leaves as it takes this off season to find one. Punting the QB situation another year to wait for a better draft seems about as much of a long shot as acquiring Watson. Especially since they will certainly expect to improve and not be one of the worst 2-3 teams in the league again.

The other offers didn't include two 1st round picks and Goff's contract is not that bad. At worst they are stuck with him for another year. Kansas City punted a couple years on drafting a QB. It worked out for them A desperate team would have drafted Fields or Jones just to draft a QB. Drafting the wrong QB is worse than drafting no QB. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Pickett had two options there, the guy crossing midfield and the guy running the pattern up the sideline. I think Pickett had picked up both guys and just trusted his arm to make the deeper throw to the guy running up the sideline. I think it would have been safer and smarter to strike as the guy was crossing midfield, right as he was passing behind the ref. JT O'Sullivan (former Lions QB whose analyzing here) called it borderline dangerous in the video. I don't know, the defender jumped for the ball, which was clearly placed over his head by Pickett, and the throwing window wasn't really that tight sans the defender jumping at it.

I've seen Pickett start getting compared to Joe Burrow given his rise up the boards this season, but Burrow had a completion % that was a full 10 points better than Pickett has now. Granted, Burrow had Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall Jr. to throw the ball to. Pickett has from what I've seen, maybe one possible NFL-caliber wideout, where Burrow had three first round picks.

256ED220-7EB8-44D9-8455-905EF10E07D3.thumb.png.1fc045f55cf0df73430ad7ff759afeda.png
536025F1-FD1D-4C68-B154-AD3846693AA5.thumb.png.0d4d875c95cfaffd93eafb6bb41f9527.png

I have no opinion on Pickett either way, I have honestly not heard of him before today but this seems pretty clear where that ball was going.  It’s a little on the QB throwing the ball into this situation and it’s on the play design for having 2 receivers in the same area.

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The other offers didn't include two 1st round picks and Goff's contract is not that bad. At worst they are stuck with him for another year. Kansas City punted a couple years on drafting a QB. It worked out for them A desperate team would have drafted Fields or Jones just to draft a QB. Drafting the wrong QB is worse than drafting no QB. 

I think that the Carolina offer was better but Stafford wouldn’t go there.  The 8th pick this year is better than 2 future late 1sts and Goff.

3 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I think that the Carolina offer was better but Stafford wouldn’t go there.  The 8th pick this year is better than 2 future late 1sts and Goff.

I tend to agree. They could have had Sewell and Parsons, plus I think Bridgewater might be a slight upgrade over this version of Goff with a much better contract. The Goff trade was fine but the Bridgewater trade would have given them an impact defensive player assuming they wanted Parsons and more cap flexibility going forward.

On another note, saw Thibodeaux on Saturday and while he struggled beating the tackle at times mainly due to a bad ankle, he still found a way to make big plays with 2 sacks (one of them causing a fumble) and 5 tackles for loss I believe. Seems like a good kid too listening to his interview and showed character playing injured when he could have simply sat out for the sake of his pro career. Seems like a legit #1 pick to me. I'd like to see him fully healthy before the season ends to get a true gauge of how good he is.

16 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I tend to agree. They could have had Sewell and Parsons, plus I think Bridgewater might be a slight upgrade over this version of Goff with a much better contract. The Goff trade was fine but the Bridgewater trade would have given them an impact defensive player assuming they wanted Parsons and more cap flexibility going forward.

On another note, saw Thibodeaux on Saturday and while he struggled beating the tackle at times mainly due to a bad ankle, he still found a way to make big plays with 2 sacks (one of them causing a fumble) and 5 tackles for loss I believe. Seems like a good kid too listening to his interview and showed character playing injured when he could have simply sat out for the sake of his pro career. Seems like a legit #1 pick to me. I'd like to see him fully healthy before the season ends to get a true gauge of how good he is.

hutchinson was pretty dominant yesterday too, albeit against northwestern.  he's been unblockable for a lot of the season but the refs just refuse to call holding on him.  

bigger tests down the road for hutch, not so much for thibodeuax.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I think if they had done the Carolina deal Fields possibly would have been the guy. Sewell and Fields together would have at very least given TP no reason to complain.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

hutchinson was pretty dominant yesterday too, albeit against northwestern.  he's been unblockable for a lot of the season but the refs just refuse to call holding on him.  

bigger tests down the road for hutch, not so much for thibodeuax.

That's true but Ohio State is the only legit offense that they'll face unless they make it to the playoff.  I think Hutchinson would be a reach in the top 3, he doesn't have the physical gifts or the proven production of Thibodeaux but he's a guy who can really rise if he excels down the stretch.

Just now, NYLion said:

That's true but Ohio State is the only legit offense that they'll face unless they make it to the playoff.  I think Hutchinson would be a reach in the top 3, he doesn't have the physical gifts or the proven production of Thibodeaux but he's a guy who can really rise if he excels down the stretch.

my untrained eye generally agrees, but i watched thibs a little against ucla and wasnt all that impressed.  i guess i came in thinking he would be unblockable on the pass rush and thought all he really did was bullrushes.

if he really has the physical quick twitch skills for someone that size, you have to take him.  he could be myles garrett.  hutchinson reminds me a chris long type: great motor, good skills, teachable, but not that uber athlete like a garrett or von miller or kalil mack that changes the game with one play.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

my untrained eye generally agrees, but i watched thibs a little against ucla and wasnt all that impressed.  i guess i came in thinking he would be unblockable on the pass rush and thought all he really did was bullrushes.

if he really has the physical quick twitch skills for someone that size, you have to take him.  he could be myles garrett.  hutchinson reminds me a chris long type: great motor, good skills, teachable, but not that uber athlete like a garrett or von miller or kalil mack that changes the game with one play.

Thibodeaux is playing with a high ankle sprain. He's usually more explosive than that but was hobbled in that game, still found a way to make an impact. He has the quickness, twitch and bend that a lot of the great pass rushers have.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Thibodeaux is playing with a high ankle sprain. He's usually more explosive than that but was hobbled in that game, still found a way to make an impact. He has the quickness, twitch and bend that a lot of the great pass rushers have.

But does he have the will to succeed?

On 10/20/2021 at 11:49 AM, Stanley70 said:

Goff is playing without the best two players on offense, both offensive lineman. Plus they are breaking a rookie at LT who is struggling. His top 2 receivers are also out and what is left at the WR group is waiver wire fodder. Plus it's a new offense for him and a new offensive coordinator for the entire team. He appears to be a QB who just can not function if he doesn't have pieces around him. 

Goff is probably a career back up from here on out but this is a horrible situation for any QB. My main criticism of the off season was that they didn't bring in enough at WR to give Goff someone to throw to so they could properly evaluate him.  Although most of the FO came from the Rams so they should have known what they were getting. If they have already given up on him then acquiring him has to be considered a mistake, given that there were other offers out there that didn't include taking on a QB with 100 million left on his contract. Plus they passed on Fields and Jones at 7.

When teams don't have a QB they get desperate and the Lions will turn over as many leaves as it takes this off season to find one. Punting the QB situation another year to wait for a better draft seems about as much of a long shot as acquiring Watson. Especially since they will certainly expect to improve and not be one of the worst 2-3 teams in the league again.

I agree the first part of this. I don't think Goff is a QB who can be expected to make an offense good. He can work with good pieces and lead a team to wins, but if you ask him to try to be one of the top three players on offense, you will wind up 0-7 seven weeks into the season. Even with one of the top five QBs in the league I don't think this team posts a .500 record.

That said, I don't think acquiring him was a mistake. Even without him included, the Rams offer was arguably better than any other. Two 1sts and a 3rd is hard to match on its own. I also don't think the FO has given up on him. I think it was already pretty well known the day he arrived that he likely wasn't the QB of the next decade in Detroit. It's perhaps fair to say that they could have hoped for better performance as a stopgap, but I don't think seven games in Holmes and Campbell are going frantic thinking about who will be under center in 22. If I had to bet who it would be right now, I would still say Goff.

I don't the Lions are even close to desperation, or that they will approach it this offseason. Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell were given five- and six-year deals for a reason. They inherited a dumpster fire and are still working on extinguishing the flames and seeing if anything is salvageable. We will likely finish around 2-15 this year and enter 2022 hoping if things go our way to be flirting with .500. That will give us a pick in 2023 around 8-16, another with the Rams around 20-30, in position to move where needed to get the QB we want and plug him into an exciting situation. It won't be until 2023 or 2024 that we could see a desperate front office if we are still floundering without any sense of direction.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

as of right now, i dont want the lions to take a qb at #1 this year.  just wait.  they can get thibodeaux and then a stud receiver late in the first, that would be perfect.

maybe even pick up dax hill or a corner at the top of the second?

Same here, Im just not sold on any of the guys and they have too many holes elsewhere.

Ideally Id go Thibs and top receiver with the Rams pick but that all depends on how the draft shakes out. Just like I don't want them reaching for a QB, I don't want them reaching for a WR either.

Id go best non oline and QB player available with the Rams and 2nd round pick unless you have a receiver really close to the top.

Say you have a d lineman at the top of the remaining players and a WR at 3 I think id take the WR even if he isn't the true bpa.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

as of right now, i dont want the lions to take a qb at #1 this year.  just wait.  they can get thibodeaux and then a stud receiver late in the first, that would be perfect.

maybe even pick up dax hill or a corner at the top of the second?

I'm with you. Plus we'll have Ragnow & Decker back next year.

That may be the play, but they if they wait then in year 3 of their regime they are rolling out a rookie QB who may or may not succeed. That is a lot of risk for a new GM to assume. Unless they want to give Goff another chance with a healthy line and some legit WR's. 

And then in the 2023 draft who knows where they will be picking and if they can trade up to get a top QB if he fails.

Goff after this year will have 40 million in guaranteed money still on his contract so I'm sure they don't want to cut him.

There may or may not be a qb in 2023 they like either but that's a chance you have to take vs. taking a guy now that you don't 100% believe in.

Plus even if there isn't one to be drafted, in this day and age qbs seem to hit the trade market more and more often and if we put together a solid supporting cast perhaps we could attract one to want to play here, even if that means giving up future draft capital.