2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

The Lions haven't had a truly dynamic DE since Ziggy..drafting Thibodeaux would certainly compliment the  interior DL selections they made last year.  He definitely fills a tough need to fill.  I just look at our secondary...it's such a disaster that getting a top end safety back there would make a huge difference.  Do they have a better chance of finding that guy later in rd 1 than they do an edge?  Maybe yes...maybe no.  

I think Thibodeaux is the likely pick....I just like looking at our options

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

The Lions haven't had a truly dynamic DE since Ziggy..drafting Thibodeaux would certainly compliment the  interior DL selections they made last year.  He definitely fills a tough need to fill.  I just look at our secondary...it's such a disaster that getting a top end safety back there would make a huge difference.  Do they have a better chance of finding that guy later in rd 1 than they do an edge?  Maybe yes...maybe no.  

I think Thibodeaux is the likely pick....I just like looking at our options

I’d take Hutchinson number one.   He is the best player in the country.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

A good pass rush can help mask a weak secondary. Frankly, the Lions need players at all levels of defense. They need linebackers too in the worst way. All of the Lions needs won't be solved in one draft. I think they need receivers more than safeties. I would rather build an elite offense and good enough defense. 

This is where Im at. Take Thibs or Hutch at 1 or 2 then pick a couple playmakers with atleast 2 of our next 4 picks. I know we need a lot of help on defense but Im still of the belief that the quickest way for us to get back to being competitive is through the offense.

We already have the pieces on the offensive line and hopefully at RB, now we need a dynamic playmaker on the outside and/or in the slot. We're still going to need a qb obviously but I think with more weapons that will make it easier for us to get good QB play. 

I like the idea of Thibodeaux "completing" (to a certain degree) the building of the trenches within that inside-out model they are clearly working. He's also the only stud I see in the draft class right now. We will need one starting guard once Vaitai is released, which Evan Brown seems to be auditioning well for in replacement of Ragnow. Otherwise though I'll be pretty happy with both lines at that point assuming Levi and McNeil develop and hold their own.

From the second 1st round pick on, you can start looking elsewhere and at skill positions. I don't hate the idea of doubling up on WR if you like the value. Corners, safeties, and linebackers on the defensive side are all needed. After the draft, you can add a middle-tier veteran or two on one or two-year deals in free agency at positions that were neglected two straight drafts, and you'll have a team that should win 6ish games, but that will be primed to really take off in 2023.

As far as QB goes, if you don't think Goff can throw the ball or manage a game well enough to get a quality evaluation on these new pieces, I'm not opposed to signing a Winston, Fitzmagic, or Bridgewater for a painful year where $40 million is tied up at the QB position for two bottom-tier QBs. I am staunchly opposed though to forcing the issue on QB and wasting a draft pick on a Davis Mills, Christian Hackenburg, or Paxton Lynch type player we are not sold on as the future, no matter the round.

I might as well say it, since given the history of this franchise and the Ford's fetish with the position, what about Texas A&M TE Jalen Wydermyer with our second 1st round pick? I mean, we need receiving weapons in the worst way and no one said it has to be a WR. I wouldn't do it, but given this organization's history with the position and the fact that Hockenson looks like yet another 1st round TE a bust relative to where he was picked (I've been waiting to type Hockenson and bust in the same sentence since he was drafted), it is probably something worth looking out for.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

No one is thinking TE in the first round.  If this front office goes that way it will prove they are just another mess.

I really want Thibodeaux to stay healthy and not be Clowney.  He’s exactly what this team has needed for a very long time.  Add a couple LBs and this defense could actually stop someone.

5 hours ago, sagnam said:

No one is thinking TE in the first round.  If this front office goes that way it will prove they are just another mess.

No one was in 2009 and 2013 either and yet they did. I'll grant that some people were thinking Hockenson in 2019, but most wanted a defensive player. I'm not ruling out Wydermyer as a potential pick unless someone in the organization or multiple credible media reports rule it out. They need a receiving threat and the organization may not view that need from the same lens we as fans do, ie receiving threat being a WR.

Again, I don't believe that the current front office is thinking TE because I think they are competent.  If they go TE then that proves they are not competent.  Previous Lions front offices proved they were incompetent in almost every way.  Selecting 1st round TEs was just a symptom of the incompetence.

ESPN put out their latest mock, it was done by Jordan Reed who is somebody I'm not familiar with. Anyway he has them taking Thibs at 1 and WR Treylon Burks from Arkansas with the Rams pick at 26.  BTW he has Hutch going number 2, Ojabo 10 and Matt Corral as the first QB off the board at number 8 to WFT.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

ESPN put out their latest mock, it was done by Jordan Reed who is somebody I'm not familiar with. Anyway he has them taking Thibs at 1 and WR Treylon Burks from Arkansas with the Rams pick at 26.  BTW he has Hutch going number 2, Ojabo 10 and Matt Corral as the first QB off the board at number 8 to WFT.

Jordan Reed played TE for the Football Team I believe, if it's the same guy now working for ESPN. I'd be just fine with this mock as well. It gets us good players and fills needs. When Burks was picked at #26 I am assuming both Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave were already gone?

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Jordan Reed played TE for the Football Team I believe, if it's the same guy now working for ESPN. I'd be just fine with this mock as well. It gets us good players and fills needs. When Burks was picked at #26 I am assuming both Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave were already gone?

Yeah Olave went 13th and Wilson, Dotson and Drake London were in the early 20s so Burks would be the 5th WR off the board. 

I was not opposed to the idea of Kyle Pitts because I thought he was a generational talent who we could also utilize as a WR in creative sets. I am generally opposed to picking a TE in the 1st-4th rounds, because no matter how good they are, they are limited in their production value for you compared to other positions. Picking a TE early is a luxury and we are not at the point to be able to take luxury picks.

23 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I’d take Hutchinson number one.   He is the best player in the country.  

Why am I not surprised that you have this opinion? I think only Michigan homers, or people that are contrarians by nature, share this opinion.

Hutchinson is good but he benefits from playing on a much a better defensive line where he's not the sole focus. Teams gameplan to avoid Thibodeaux. As far as an overall player is concerned, the whole package, Thibodeaux is the best player in this draft.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-cincinnati-and-cleveland-tap-into-talent-at-local-college-programs/

Latest CBS mock has us taking Thibs and Drake London. I know mocks mean nothing, particularly this early in the game but I enjoy reading them for s&'g's sometimes they can give you an idea whereabouts evaluators have guys.