2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

On 12/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

If this guy's available with their 2nd first round pick..................

They way they protect QBs they should really make fake slides illegal.  Of course that might be harder to enforce... what constitutes going to far into a slide?  Does it become a version of the balk pitch but for football? 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

McShay has moved Aidan to number 1 in his latest big board. Of course he has him at a grade of 93, same as the rest of top 6 so he must feel there really isn't much separation between any of them. 

We should all remember this when the Lions win one or two more and sports talk radio implodes at the notion of picking #2 or #3. 😉 

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

They way they protect QBs they should really make fake slides illegal.  Of course that might be harder to enforce... what constitutes going to far into a slide?  Does it become a version of the balk pitch but for football? 

They should make fake slides a penalty, but so far they haven't and the kid used his head and took advantage of it.  I like that.   Like Marino with the fake spike.  

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

If we can have the Minnesota game Goff every week...I'm good with not drafting a QB this year

We won't. But I'm still good with not drafting a QB this year.

42 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm good with a 2nd round QB to see if they can develop one into something.

I don't think there is a point drafting a QB at 2.1 unless we are 100% certain they are the franchise QB. Just as certain as you would be taking him at 1.1... Pick #33 is too high to miss on a pick where you could certainly get a key piece elsewhere, and where a miss on a QB will set you back another 2-3 years while you let him try and fail as your centerpiece (see: Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer, and Christian Hackenburg).

Franchise quarterbacks are such a dime a dozen that it is very rare for every team in the NFL to pass on one that has true HOF potential. Not to say that it absolutely can't happen, it almost happened with Lamar Jackson. For every hit on a QB taken in the 30s though, there are far more misses. I would argue the last great QB taken in the second round (as in one who would get universal praise by the fanbase 10-15 years later) was Drew Brees, way back in 2001. Before him, Brett Favre was taken at #33 in 1991. Since Brees, the only QBs picked in the 2nd round who I would even call a serviceable starter in their prime are Andy Dalton (2011), Colin Kaepernick (2011), Jimmy G (2014), and Derek Carr (2014). That's 4/19, not counting Trask.

Short of a "this is the next Drew Brees" moment, I think we are far better off going virtually anywhere else. There are enough holes that QB can wait another year, or even two.

Its ok to take a flyer on a 2 or 3rd round QB if you don't have a lot of holes but I don't think the Lions are in that position yet to take that risk.

That's why Im reluctant to take one with the Rams pick as well, I want a guy that is viewed as more of a sure thing if I'm going to invest a precious early pick on a qb.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

We won't. But I'm still good with not drafting a QB this year.

I don't think there is a point drafting a QB at 2.1 unless we are 100% certain they are the franchise QB. Just as certain as you would be taking him at 1.1... Pick #33 is too high to miss on a pick where you could certainly get a key piece elsewhere, and where a miss on a QB will set you back another 2-3 years while you let him try and fail as your centerpiece (see: Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer, and Christian Hackenburg).

Franchise quarterbacks are such a dime a dozen that it is very rare for every team in the NFL to pass on one that has true HOF potential. Not to say that it absolutely can't happen, it almost happened with Lamar Jackson. For every hit on a QB taken in the 30s though, there are far more misses. I would argue the last great QB taken in the second round (as in one who would get universal praise by the fanbase 10-15 years later) was Drew Brees, way back in 2001. Before him, Brett Favre was taken at #33 in 1991. Since Brees, the only QBs picked in the 2nd round who I would even call a serviceable starter in their prime are Andy Dalton (2011), Colin Kaepernick (2011), Jimmy G (2014), and Derek Carr (2014). That's 4/19, not counting Trask.

Short of a "this is the next Drew Brees" moment, I think we are far better off going virtually anywhere else. There are enough holes that QB can wait another year, or even two.

Interestingly, the two truly great QBs taken in the 2nd round didn't materialize with the team that drafted them. 

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... I don't think there is a point drafting a QB at 2.1 unless we are 100% certain they are the franchise QB...

So...

There's a chance?

Lions scouting/ drafting just better be on point. No matter who they draft. QB, or otherwise. I'm OK if they draft a 2nd round QB... they just better be right about the selection. On that basis (that they were right), I'm OK with the 2nd round QB.

if they're going to take a qb and they think they see something in one of the top guys this year, then do it with the rams pick.  that way you get them under contract for four years with a fifth year option.

corral, willis, or pickett seem to be the only options there.  given the qb needs of other teams, i doubt they last until the lions second first round pick.

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

How many 2nd round QBs are actually successful? The Lions 2nd round pick will basically be a late first rounder. Would rather fill other positions. 

Here's the list since 1970

Farve

Brees

Next up is probably Carr or Randall Cunningham. 

So two in 50 years. 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, RedRamage said:

well, that didn't take long:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2021/12/10/fake-slides-now-against-rules-after-pitt-qb-picketts-trick-vs-wake/6462187001/?itm_medium=recirc&itm_source=taboola&itm_campaign=internal&itm_content=RightRailArticleThumbnails-Redesign

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

FWIW,  I saw Pickett was on a panel the other day and said there was nothing planned about the fake - he was ready to go down, looked up and saw enough daylight that he honestly changed his mind mid motion.

Even if it was legitimate (which I'm not doubting) it still can't be legal though.  I mean once you start signaling what you're going to do and the defense has to react to that, you can't change your mind.

It's like signaling for a fair catch... as soon as you do that the covering team is going to react differently.  A returning can't change his mind after signaling, even if it's just a split second after he starting signaling. 

(For the record I don't think you're disagreeing here, I'm just trying to emphasis that because of special protections offered for the act of sliding it can't be something that can be faked.)

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Even if it was legitimate (which I'm not doubting) it still can't be legal though.  I mean once you start signaling what you're going to do and the defense has to react to that, you can't change your mind.

It's like signaling for a fair catch... as soon as you do that the covering team is going to react differently.  A returning can't change his mind after signaling, even if it's just a split second after he starting signaling. 

(For the record I don't think you're disagreeing here, I'm just trying to emphasis that because of special protections offered for the act of sliding it can't be something that can be faked.)

agreed. I think what Pickett said goes more to the point of whether he should be credited with cleverly trying to exploit the rules or just running to daylight.

• Thanks 1

What’s decker trade value?  Lots of mocks have the jags taking an OT with their first pick.  You could trade decker (former Meyer player) to the jags for their first and then take both Hutchinson and KT.  Do this before Meyer quits.  I’ll hang up and listen.  

The flipside is that it's not as hard to replace a RT as it is a LT.

And we've already seen Sewell at LT so we're not worried about swapping him back over there.

For an overpay (we're not getting the #3 pick for Decker T&P, dream on...), say a late 1st and another pick... I could do that for Decker.

You can draft a top-3 round RT and make a go of it.

We're really relying on our current admin to make the correct draft picks though.

We're relying less on a trade/ no-trade of Decker than on this admin really being able to identify and draft talent...