2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

17 hours ago, RedRamage said:

So, who does Jacksonville take first overall?

One of Hutch, Thibs, or Evan Neal I would think. Teams do surprising and crazy things all the time (see the Raiders taking Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen) so there most certainly no garauntee that Jacksonville would take either of those three players. But going based off most draft boards from insiders and analysts, that seems to be the pre-combine consensus on the best players in the draft. 

It really wouldn't effect the Lions per se, but if it were to happen it would be the only thing that might make me regret losing the 1st pick and that is if by some chance a team falls in love with one of the QBs and Jax gets a haul for the 1st pick kinda like what the Eagles got for the 3rd pick last year. 

Missing out on a couple extra 1st round picks would be kinda hard to swallow. That's a complete longshot of course but you can never discount how desperate a team will react to a qb they love and want to ensure getting. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It really wouldn't effect the Lions per se, but if it were to happen it would be the only thing that might make me regret losing the 1st pick and that is if by some chance a team falls in love with one of the QBs and Jax gets a haul for the 1st pick kinda like what the Eagles got for the 3rd pick last year. 

Missing out on a couple extra 1st round picks would be kinda hard to swallow. That's a complete longshot of course but you can never discount how desperate a team will react to a qb they love and want to ensure getting. 

The team to jump ahead of in such a scenario would likely be the Texans. I also think last year was unique, with the five QBs taken in the first half of the first round. I don't think those trades happen too often because usually you don't need the #3 pick in the draft to get one of the top 3 QBs in the draft.

If Atlanta falls in love with Corral, Willis, or Pickett, they can likely stay around where they land at #8-12, or at the very least, they shouldn't need to jump all the way up to a top three spot. 

On 12/18/2021 at 3:28 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I think this is key. In the current system the non playoff bowls are nothing more than big television advertising sign boards. The traditional conference rivalries are mostly gone, obviously the chance to win and end up at the  top of the polls is gone. Few sell out and many are played in front of embarrassingly empty stands. It's true that all sport is entertainment, but part of the entertainment value is normally that something is at stake. With that aspect missing too many of the bowls are pointless.

I hate what the current system has done to bowl games. As for whether the games are meaningless, I personally disagree. Was going to the Rose Bowl a failure when there was no playoff, even though there was no way they would win the national championship - mythical as it may have been. To me it's about honoring all the other players you played with.

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

I hate what the current system has done to bowl games. As for whether the games are meaningless, I personally disagree. Was going to the Rose Bowl a failure when there was no playoff, even though there was no way they would win the national championship - mythical as it may have been. To me it's about honoring all the other players you played with.

Jake butt honored the players he played with and it cost him an nfl career.

No high draft prospects should play In a non playoff bowl game.  It makes no sense. They owe nothing to anyone else.  

A piece I remembered today, Holmes was in the front office for the Aaron Donald selection at #13 (after Jedeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, and Anthony Barr were added to other front sevens).

I think I trust him to identify a defensive difference maker at #5 instead of #1 if it allows us to move in a positive direction as this season ends.

8 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Looking back on last years draft.  It’s easy to forget Amon-Ra St. Brown was a 4th round pick. Dude is legit.  

I'll be a bit cautious saying this, but I think if St. Brown continues to progress at the rate he's on he could develop into a legit #2 receiver. If he gets better QB play that will certainly help him progress faster too.

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I've seen a couple of mocks online that have us trading down with the Giants ( we get some unnamed picks).  We end up taking Hamilton or Stingley.

No....

I really like both players.    Stingley looked like he could’ve been a top pick as a true freshman had he been draft eligible.   He’s light years ahead of where Okudah was when Quinn took him.    Hamilton is the stud safety that they need badly but need to see the medicals on his season ending injury.  

The thought of a Ori and Stingley combo does sound very enticing and could potentially give the Lions a great secondary.  With the emegergence of Harris to go with the Okwara brothers our pass rush could still be solid. 

I of course wouldn't take Stingley over Hutch/KT but if we were to trade down ending up with him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

Surtain has been a shutdown DB already for Denver so some do contribute from day 1 and Stingley may be one of them.