2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Hart said:

I know I am in the minority but spending a high draft pick on a receiver is not my first choice.  They do need another guy but I think this team needs to be great on defense with the quarterback situation what it is.  They are on their way to having a great offensive line.  They should be spending their capital and resources in the offseason on defense as much as possible.  

I don't know what Chris Godwin would cost but I would love to get him on a 1 year deal at a reasonable deal.  

why would chris godwin sign a one year deal with anyone, much less the lions?

They're in a nice spot...trade back for assets (with their first or the Rams)  or stay put and pick up three of the top 34 guys on your board.  This is the draft that could make Brad Holmes a Made Man in Detroit sports.  My hopes...stay put with Thibodeaux or Hutchinson, a WR with the Rams pick and then look at LB and DB

• Like 1

My first choice would be to trade out of that number 2 spot and pick up more assets cause for starters this team has multiple holes so the more good picks the better but also I'm just not completely sold on either Hutch or KT.

I still think they are the best two players in the draft but Im not sure they are going to be true difference makers in the NFL so the thought of possibly getting multiple solid to good players is more intriguing to me. If I had more faith that they are going to be a Myles Garrett than I would take that over multiple solid to good players but I don't. 

Of course without a franchise QB at 2 teams are highly unlikely to trade so the whole point is moot.

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 1/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

As we sit here today, I think the Giants are a more likely trade partner than the Jets. If the Giants want to move on from Jones with whoever becomes the consensus #1 QB, they will likely need to jump the Texans to do so.

I would still put the odds of a trade happening with the #2 pick at 10% or less.

Yeah, I don't think the odds are that high either .. especially for a QB.  I wonder if someone might want to jump up for Hutch or Thibs?  I'd much rather have an extra pick or 2.

That's not impossible but if it happens it could pose a scenario where not having the 1st pick could come back to haunt us. 

If there is just one defacto QB that a team(s) falls in love with to the point they would give up future assets for they probably want to be sure they get him and the only way that happens is at number 1.  

Jameson Williams does indeed have a torn ACL, Doctors of course say they are expecting a full recovery. With that said do you take a chance on him with the Rams pick or our 2nd if he does drop cause of the injury? Most considered him the best WR in the class and a potential number 1.  With the ACL tear this late in things he probably wouldn't be much use to us this coming year and even though ACL recoveries have come a long way any injury like that could potentially have long term ramifications. 

Personally I think I would have to see how things go in the combine with other top WRs and who would be available at those picks. If there are several guys that end up grading out close to Williams and are available at those picks I would of course take them since they are healthy but if none of the guys wow at the combine or other pre draft process and are still seen as a tier below where Williams was pre injury I think I just may shoot for moon and take a chance on him instead despite the injury. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jameson Williams does indeed have a torn ACL, Doctors of course say they are expecting a full recovery. With that said do you take a chance on him with the Rams pick or our 2nd if he does drop cause of the injury? Most considered him the best WR in the class and a potential number 1.  With the ACL tear this late in things he probably wouldn't be much use to us this coming year and even though ACL recoveries have come a long way any injury like that could potentially have long term ramifications. 

Personally I think I would have to see how things go in the combine with other top WRs and who would be available at those picks. If there are several guys that end up grading out close to Williams and are available at those picks I would of course take them since they are healthy but if none of the guys wow at the combine or other pre draft process and are still seen as a tier below where Williams was pre injury I think I just may shoot for moon and take a chance on him instead despite the injury. 

if he falls to the late 20s you take him.

i dont think he will fall that far.

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Of course without a franchise QB at 2 teams are highly unlikely to trade so the whole point is moot.

Yeah, that's the hard part... I mean, it's much easier to trade out of the top spots with the rookie salary cap, but you still need to get value for those picks.  If someone offers you their 1st and 4th round pick to move back spots... that's just not a good return.  And without a few big names at the top of the draft, I'm not sure you'll have people willing to pay a premium to move up.

I'm not sold on Hutch either... but I'm not sold on anyone.  Unless you get a really good offer I think you pull the trigger on Hutch because he fills a position of need, he's a local guy, and he's a big(ger) name than many others.  I think if nothing else he's someone who will get the fans excited.  Granted, grabbing a player for just that reason is a stupid thing to do, but it's not just for that reason... the fan excitement is just an added plus.

The only trade back deal I would take at this point is with one of the teams who has two 1sts this year (Eagles, Giants, Jets) and I get both of their 1sts this year. Otherwise, I want to stand pat and take either one of Thibs or Hutch. We need talent all around, that's true. We need elite playmakers on both sides of the ball in the worst way though. This team hasn't had a truly elite playmaker on it since Calvin retired and I don't want to pass up on getting one with Thibs or Hutch unless I get a haul (two 1sts or more) from another team.

Pff put out their top 15 highest graded rookies and St. Brown was 6th overall and Sewell 11th. 

On a down note I'm still kinda upset that we passed on JOK in the 2nd who was 15th overall on that list. Ill give Holmes a pass on that though cause apparently he had some medical issues that scared teams off but boy if we would've taken him instead of Levi this draft would have been an even bigger home run. 

5 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, that's the hard part... I mean, it's much easier to trade out of the top spots with the rookie salary cap, but you still need to get value for those picks.  If someone offers you their 1st and 4th round pick to move back spots... that's just not a good return.  And without a few big names at the top of the draft, I'm not sure you'll have people willing to pay a premium to move up.

I'm not sold on Hutch either... but I'm not sold on anyone.  Unless you get a really good offer I think you pull the trigger on Hutch because he fills a position of need, he's a local guy, and he's a big(ger) name than many others.  I think if nothing else he's someone who will get the fans excited.  Granted, grabbing a player for just that reason is a stupid thing to do, but it's not just for that reason... the fan excitement is just an added plus.

I'm a little more worried about Hutch coming off the Nat'l Semi-Final.  His stock skyrocketed after the OSU game, & then we saw nothing against Georgia.  That's 1 of the reasons I think this is the year it makes sense to trade down, provided we can get a good haul. I just don't think there is much talent that really separates itself as obvious.  If the Lions can stockpile some picks in a future draft & still not move down that far, they can get a player that's probably not that big of a drop.

8 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I'm a little more worried about Hutch coming off the Nat'l Semi-Final.  His stock skyrocketed after the OSU game, & then we saw nothing against Georgia.  That's 1 of the reasons I think this is the year it makes sense to trade down, provided we can get a good haul. I just don't think there is much talent that really separates itself as obvious.  If the Lions can stockpile some picks in a future draft & still not move down that far, they can get a player that's probably not that big of a drop.

I firmly believe barring injuries that Hutch is going to atleast be a solid to good player in the NFL but I'm not convinced he is going to be a TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, prime Mack etc. type force as a pass rusher and for that reason I would love to trade down if possible. 

Now if the Lions feel he or Thibs has a strong chance of being one of those guys then they should stay put unless they get a Godfather type offer. You don't pass on potential game changing players like that just for an extra pick or two, even if those picks are early.

They felt that way about Sewell and stood pat so I imagine if they feel that way about one of the guys in this draft they will do the same. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Pff put out their top 15 highest graded rookies and St. Brown was 6th overall and Sewell 11th. 

On a down note I'm still kinda upset that we passed on JOK in the 2nd who was 15th overall on that list. Ill give Holmes a pass on that though cause apparently he had some medical issues that scared teams off but boy if we would've taken him instead of Levi this draft would have been an even bigger home run. 

Were any of the QBs on the list. Mac Jones maybe?

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Were any of the QBs on the list. Mac Jones maybe?

Yeah Jones was in the top 5 I believe and was the only one to make the list. Number 1 was the center from KC and I think 2 was Slater who many scoffed at when it suggested we draft him if Sewell was taken.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Two top 10 players in one draft is pretty good. McNeil looks like he could at least be a solid starter or good rotational guy, Barnes showed talent and upside but overall was not good. I feel like those are correctable issues though. Jefferson looked decent when he played. Melifonwu is incomplete. Showed some potential. Levi was the only real disappointment. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions do not take a receiver with the Rams pick. I remember reading prior to this last draft that Holmes and Dorsey had drafted something like 12 receivers in their career and only 1 was a first round pick. They got guys like Cupp, Hill and now St Brown in the middle rounds. Wouldn't be surprised if they go that route again. 

Passing on JOK irritated me too.

Thinking about it though, do the Lions have a spacebacker in their base defense? They have two inside LB'er's and two edge guys. He is too small for those positions. And they like to play the safety's deep it seems, he might not have the ball skills for that position.

They just might not have seen him as a good fit.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions do not take a receiver with the Rams pick. I remember reading prior to this last draft that Holmes and Dorsey had drafted something like 12 receivers in their career and only 1 was a first round pick. They got guys like Cupp, Hill and now St Brown in the middle rounds. Wouldn't be surprised if they go that route again. 

Yeah I really think they aren't going to go in that direction and given their success and the league's success in general at finding wr from the mid to late 2nd on I can't say I blame them. 

Outside of RB I think WR may be the position filled with the most great players that weren't early picks. If you look at the yardage leaders outside of Chase and Jefferson I think all of the top 15 were picked outside the 1st round. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Passing on JOK irritated me too.

Thinking about it though, do the Lions have a spacebacker in their base defense? They have two inside LB'er's and two edge guys. He is too small for those positions. And they like to play the safety's deep it seems, he might not have the ball skills for that position.

They just might not have seen him as a good fit.

Yeah admittedly Im kinda ignorant when it comes to how guys fit in specific defenses but I think ultimately think talent trumps everything and the good ones can fit in any defense but I don't know for sure so that may have been their mindset. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I’ve already shared my issues with PFF rankings but these are just dumb.    Seriously, how much value can you put in a ranking of all NFL rookies that doesn’t have Micah Parsons at #1.   Their rankings are essentially clickbait at this point.