2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

i'd say the lions needs are everywhere, but greatest at qb, wr, linebacker, defensive end, and yes, cornerback and safety.

walker is a free agent and harris sucks.  they need a safety.  the corners they brought in have been good and oruwariye has played better this year.  do you trust him and okudah?  im not sure.  okudah may never be any good after that injury.

the lions have the luxury of needing help almost everywhere!

19 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If I'm trading out of a shot at one of the Big 3 spots (LT, QB, Edge) on the roster....I'm gonna want a LOT in return.  If we were naturally sitting at 5...I'd have zero issue with Stingley or Hamilton.  If I'm trading down...I better get a ridiculous haul.

Yes to this.  

30 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If I'm trading out of a shot at one of the Big 3 spots (LT, QB, Edge) on the roster....I'm gonna want a LOT in return.  If we were naturally sitting at 5...I'd have zero issue with Stingley or Hamilton.  If I'm trading down...I better get a ridiculous haul.

no qbs worth taking.  you're not going to get much of a haul this year, imo.

14 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I don’t see any need to add to the secondary early on. That hasn’t been the problem.  Walker, Parker, Ori, Okudah, Jacobs.  I’m set.  

An inconsistent young player who might not even want to re-sign here, a young player who has had a good half season, a struggling young player who will be coming off of a serious injury and two undrafted free agents. Your definition of "set" is a whole lot different than mine.

These guys are showing some promise but the Lions still need a lot of secondary help. Wide Receiver and Safety are arguably their two biggest needs with Linebacker being a contender for top need.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, NYLion said:

An inconsistent young player who might not even want to re-sign here, a young player who has had a good half season, a struggling young player who will be coming off of a serious injury and two undrafted free agents. Your definition of "set" is a whole lot different than mine.

These guys are showing some promise but the Lions still need a lot of secondary help. Wide Receiver and Safety are arguably their two biggest needs with Linebacker being a contender for top need.

DT, secondary and OL. Those are the 3 positions I wouldn’t use top 10 picks on. 

35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Probably the only position on the team that is set is offensive tackle and center. 

Running back and tight end (although a little added depth there couldn't hurt) are pretty set. I wouldn't invest any high picks on defensive tackle either unless a big faller falls into their laps.

Assuming no clear and obvious BPA's, I'm not drafting an offensive lineman, tight end, running back or defensive tackle with any of the first 5 picks. Load up on playmakers. Receivers, linebackers, safeties/corners, pass rushers and perhaps a QB. I guess I wouldn't hate it if they took a guard with one of the 3rds if it was a no brainer, guy fell into our laps situation.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That depends on what they think of Goff. We all shutter at the thought of Goff as our starting QB for years to come. Holmes may see him as the guy that helped take his former franchise to a Super Bowl and want to build around him. Holmes was part of the process when trading up to draft Goff in the first place.

Just reading between the lines on some of thing Campbell has said and done, like saying they want to play smashmouth football and build the lines on both sides of the ball makes me think that they don't really mind having a "game manager" like Goff.

I can see them building a team much like the Titans or some of those playoff Vikings teams of the last 5 years and that is have a QB that is capable of making a play but more importantly will protect the football. 

Goff has fumbled alot so maybe it won't be him but I can see them building the rest of the team and just finding that steady guy to lead them like the Vikes did with Cousins and Titans with Tannehill and not necessarily some high end guy that would cost an early pick to draft or a bunch of picks to trade for. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

22 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I don’t see any need to add to the secondary early on. That hasn’t been the problem.  Walker, Parker, Ori, Okudah, Jacobs.  I’m set.  

Also, Melifonwu.

I'm fine with giving the CB's a year before drafting them again to see what shakes out...

So many needs in 2022 anyways that CB could easily be an afterthought...

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That depends on what they think of Goff. We all shutter at the thought of Goff as our starting QB for years to come. Holmes may see him as the guy that helped take his former franchise to a Super Bowl and want to build around him. Holmes was part of the process when trading up to draft Goff in the first place.

I don't think they see him as such.

Just guessing... but I think everyone sees him as a stopgap, and it's not that difficult to see. I think that includes the front office & coaching staff too.

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In fairness, if the Goff of the last few weeks is the Goff of the future, we should not have any issue riding him for next year and possibly beyond.

I still see his ceiling as that of Alex Smith with KC. Serviceable and capable of not losing us games until we spot and move up to get our Mahomes.

What he said...

CB may not be the biggest need per se but I'm a firm believer in what wins in football if you can't have a great team top to bottom is having dominant units that create mismatches in your favor.  LIke if you can get a dominant secondary suddenly that makes teams have to game plan differently and can cover up for holes you may have elsewhere on the field.  Again not saying I would take Stingley over Hutch/KT just cause I think both are better players but hypothetically if they weren't better players and they all were equal I wouldn't pass on Stingley just cause we "don't need" CBs, just like we didn't pass on Sewell last year even though at the time it appeared we had more pressing needs than O lineman. 

I can't believe some fans are coming around on Goff after a few good games.  I may need to root for Goff to be awful the last two games so the Lions don't have any delusions that he is their quarterback of the future.  I get we are stuck with him another year and that is fine.  But they have to draft a quarterback in this draft sometime in the first 3 or 4 rounds.  Then you just cross your fingers and hope for the best.  It's not easy to find a quarterback but you have to at least try.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think anybody is coming around to Goff as being some All Pro or franchise QB just that he has shown that he can be the game manager to take a team to the SB if he has the pieces around him. 

I mean...I guess anything could happen.  Everything would have to come together just perfect though for this to happen.  Not a smart way to build your future.