2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

On 12/15/2021 at 10:53 AM, Motown Bombers said:

At this point in time last year, did anyone expect Trey Lance would be drafted 3rd overall? At the same time, I don't think many expected Fields to slide. If the Lions draft a QB, I feel it will be a trade up from the Rams pick. 

Yes actually. Lance was hyped for a few years. Lawrence, Fields and Lance were talking about as part of a generational class for a while. Wilson and Jones were the big jumpers.

I wonder if some teams will have hesitation due to 3 of the QBs taken in that draft struggling mightily currently. I doubt it because as somebody above mentioned, this is a QB league and teams almost always overdraft QBs but with this class being weaker than normal, I wonder how many teams take the plunge. I think teams like Atlanta and Pittsburgh are likely to take one but who knows, I guess it depends on how the board shakes out.

4 hours ago, sagnam said:

All 7 picks have contributed this year.

His second round pick doesn't look like a complete waste of space. So by drafting Onwuzurike and him having thus far looked like a football player and not a dud, he's a step ahead of Quinn. It's great to see everyone has been a contributor, even if being a a generationally bad team forced everyone into playing time.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i'm starting to think the lions will take a qb this year...

and trade up from 24 to do it.

When there will be better QBs in next years draft, Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, there is just no need to trade draft capital to get a (perceived) lesser QB in this year's draft. I'd hate to lose a 2nd round pick just to move up for someone inconsistent like Malik Willis or Sam Howell or a one year wonder like Kenny Pickett.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When there will be better QBs in next years draft, Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, there is just no need to trade draft capital to get a (perceived) lesser QB in this year's draft. I'd hate to lose a 2nd round pick just to move up for someone inconsistent like Malik Willis or Sam Howell or a one year wonder like Kenny Pickett.

But OTOH, why would we count on the Lions ever being lucky enough to be in the position get Stroud next year? if it takes #1 overall  that means you have to tank again big time next season. With Ragnow, Swift, the CBs, and a new draft class maybe that doesn't come close to happening. My guess is that one of the guys coming out this year is destined to be a franchise QB, it's just that no-one knows it yet. The question is whether the lions can figure out which.

Not that the pundits grades mean everything but if you want to believe what their grades are on this batch of QBs than you can almost guarantee there will be atleast a half dozen next year that have equal or better grades cause virutally every year there are that many that have higher grades than the best this year. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not that the pundits grades mean everything but if you want to believe what their grades are on this batch of QBs than you can almost guarantee there will be atleast a half dozen next year that have equal or better grades cause virutally every year there are that many that have higher grades than the best this year. 

but the grades now are just a snap shot of a bunch of 20 yr olds. I would guess every good pro QB was a much better player 3 yrs into his pro career than he was in his last year in the NCAA. What you're hoping for is that one of these guys has upside beyond what's on video on him so far. You either take that chance or the chance you get shut out of taking one of those better QBs next year. I don't think you could call either strategy wrong, either might pan out or not.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

but the grades now are just a snap shot of a bunch of 20 yr olds. I would guess every good pro QB was a much better player 3 yrs into his pro career than he was in his last year in the NCAA. What you're hoping for is that one of these guys has upside beyond what's on video on him so far. You either take that chance or the chance you get shut out of taking one of those better QBs next year. I don't think you could call either strategy wrong, either might pan out or not.

My point was that even if they don't end up with a top 5 pick next  year and miss out on a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud there will likely be a bunch of other guys that are just as good as this crop so why waste a 1st round pick on one now if you're not convinced in them or even worse trade assets plus use a 1st round pick on one? Now if they fall in love with one of them that is a different story but otherwise just wait and draft one another time. Hell there is nothing that says that you even need to draft one, who knows a year from now what QB will be unhappy and we could possibly trade for.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

My point was that even if they don't end up with a top 5 pick next  year and miss out on a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud there will likely be a bunch of other guys that are just as good as this crop so why waste a 1st round pick on one now if you're not convinced in them or even worse trade assets plus use a 1st round pick on one? Now if they fall in love with one of them that is a different story but otherwise just wait and draft one another time. Hell there is nothing that says that you even need to draft one, who knows a year from now what QB will be unhappy and we could possibly trade for.

LOL - it's kind of a paradoxical situation. You have to guess how good/bad you might be. A top 10 pick is probably reasonable chance to bank on after the 22 season. But the thing I keep forgetting is that they got 2 firsts back for Stafford. So they have a second first after '22 which pretty much guarantees then can trade up.

12 hours ago, buddha said:

i'm starting to think the lions will take a qb this year...

and trade up from 24 to do it.

I'm very nervous about taking a QB, especially if we're trading up to get one.  I'm just not real high on any of the current guys and I don't want the org to get one just because the "have" to get a QB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

My point was that even if they don't end up with a top 5 pick next  year and miss out on a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud there will likely be a bunch of other guys that are just as good as this crop so why waste a 1st round pick on one now if you're not convinced in them or even worse trade assets plus use a 1st round pick on one? 

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But the thing I keep forgetting is that they got 2 firsts back for Stafford. So they have a second first after '22 which pretty much guarantees then can trade up.

Pulling from both of these posts, I think it makes sense to wait until next year... Obviously this is just the opinion of an armchair-GM so take it for what it's worth...

But to what Randy said, a top 3 QB this year probably will be more of a top 4-8 level QB next year.  So if the Lions do considerably better next year in a "worst case" situation they should be able to pick up a QB of the same quality as one of the top names this year with where ever they draft in the following year.

And if it turns out there ends up being a Stud QB next year and the Lions are middle of the pack in draft order, to Gehringer's point: Having two firsts gives us a lot of flexibility to move up to get that person.

Now obviously the front office and coaching staff is a hell of a lot more knowledgeable about these things than I am so if they think they've found a diamond in the rough the by all means they should draft him.  I just don't want them to spend a high pick on a QB because... well... Goff sucks so we better take a QB even if they aren't great.

I don't see how with Goff as our starting QB, playing as he is right now, we can be substantially better next year. I mean maybe through another good draft class and free agency we can net ourselves 3-4 more wins and become a 4/5/6 win team next season. Speaking in baseball terms though, as our starting QB, Goff has provided us with a negative WAR this season and if he doesn't somehow turn it around or get replaced as the starter, I can't see us making big strides next year. All of this is to say, it is probable that we'll be drafting in the top 10 yet again next season and setting ourselves up to get one of Stroud or Young.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

No matter when they pick a QB, that QB will come without a guarantee. I just disagree with the notion that waiting until next year to draft a QB is no big deal. If that one fails the Lions will again be out looking for a QB and by then 3-4 years will have elapsed and they still won't be winning. Plus it sends a pretty bad message to fans if they roll out the same QB's as this year.

Getting the pick right is most important obviously. So if they have to wait because this years crop doesn't impress them then so be it. Campbell inherited the worst roster in the league and has had about 15 starters run over by a truck and he is still crying after losses. He wants to win and will be on the get a QB now boat I'm sure.

There is also the trade route, but Goff counts so much against the cap it's hard to see how they could bring one in and not have about half their payroll going to one position.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I'm very nervous about taking a QB, especially if we're trading up to get one....

Yeah... I see no reason to trade up whatsoever. 

A QB and a WR will fall to us at our second 1st round pick and at our 2nd round pick. I don't see it as any more complicated then letting the draft come to us and if there's a QB the team likes then go ahead and get him (using the Rams pick, not trading up) and there will still be a WR that we like at our 2nd round pick.

I believe buddha is categorically not correct that we will be trading up in this draft...

6 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah... I see no reason to trade up whatsoever. 

A QB and a WR will fall to us at our second 1st round pick and at our 2nd round pick. I don't see it as any more complicated then letting the draft come to us and if there's a QB the team likes then go ahead and get him (using the Rams pick, not trading up) and there will still be a WR that we like at our 2nd round pick.

I believe buddha is categorically not correct that we will be trading up in this draft...

i bet there are at least 4 qbs taken in round one this year.

I think more along the lines of evaluating several 2022 (draftee) QB's as late (borderline) 1st round graded QB's.

In other words, don't trade up for a borderline 1st round grade, let them come to us.

And I know teams panic at the last moment for QB's... just don't do it Lions. Don't overdraft.

If they all get snapped up within the top 15 picks then draft two highly ranked WR's instead this year at late 1st/ and 2nd round picks and wait until next year on a QB...

I guess I am saying I don't think Holmes will panic and lose draft capital unnecessarily chasing QB's that all look like they have flaws that will make them mediocre QB's or less.

I suspect players who opt out of their Bowl games are selfish, soft, and affected by our current "snowflake" mentality.

They received an undeserved scholarship and potential degree in any field of their choosing because of athletic ability. They were afforded an avenue to a lucrative professional sports career. That in exchange for fulfilling their obligations. If they QUIT on their team before their Bowl game, they haven't fulfilled their end of the deal. They should not receive the benefits. They should not get their degree and not receive a scholarship for that season.

A player who opts out of their Bowl game has let down his teammates, coaches, fans, and contributors/taxpayers who have funded his education and future pro-career. That's the definition of an ingrate.

That's why I'd draft a Hutchinson over a Thibodeaux, all things being equal. Aiden will be a team player. Kayvon will be about himself. He might be the next Ndamukong Suh who will have a ton of talent, but sign a huge contract and then disappear (until it benefits him in a playoff run).

The msu Bowl game is going to be a farce without Walker or Pickett playing because both are opting to quit on their teams, fans, and supporters.

If someone is already injured, I understand. Otherwise, it is cowardice.

One thing the Lions have done right is build an elite offensive line. In the upcoming draft, they can build a similar defensive line If they draft Hutchinson/Thibodeaux with their 1st pick and Ojabo with their 2nd.

The lines make the rest of the team better. A good O-line gives the QB and receivers more time, and makes the running game better. A good D-line can stop the most explosive opposing offense before they can get their plays executed. The DBs won't have to cover nearly as long. Opposing QBs will make more hurried mistakes.

If the Lions build a strong DL to match their OL, they will only be a few players away from success. Perhaps another LB, DB, WR, or QB. And both lines will be young and have several years to perform at their peak.

14 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Otherwise, it is cowardice.

No, it's just an economic calculation on risk/reward. As we professionalize college sports we need to expect players to make decisions based on their value to their professional careers. We are telling them that is what is important, why complain when they agree?

4 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

I suspect players who opt out of their Bowl games are selfish, soft, and affected by our current "snowflake" mentality.

They received an undeserved scholarship and potential degree in any field of their choosing because of athletic ability. They were afforded an avenue to a lucrative professional sports career. That in exchange for fulfilling their obligations. If they QUIT on their team before their Bowl game, they haven't fulfilled their end of the deal. They should not receive the benefits. They should not get their degree and not receive a scholarship for that season.

A player who opts out of their Bowl game has let down his teammates, coaches, fans, and contributors/taxpayers who have funded his education and future pro-career. That's the definition of an ingrate.

That's why I'd draft a Hutchinson over a Thibodeaux, all things being equal. Aiden will be a team player. Kayvon will be about himself. He might be the next Ndamukong Suh who will have a ton of talent, but sign a huge contract and then disappear (until it benefits him in a playoff run).

The msu Bowl game is going to be a farce without Walker or Pickett playing because both are opting to quit on their teams, fans, and supporters.

If someone is already injured, I understand. Otherwise, it is cowardice.

A lot to unpack here…. You really feel that these athletes don’t deserve a scholarship? They’re generating millions of dollars for their schools. $100k or so over four years (to do hard work in the classroom and on the field) is comparative pennies. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t think they should be strictly paid (at least not directly by the school).

Hutch has a National Championship to play for, Thib has nothing left to prove. I agree that the MSU bowl game (and honestly all non-playoff bowl games) will be a farce. That’s the fault of those who designed the bowl/playoff system. That’s not the fault of the student athletes who elect not to help rich people get richer without being paid.

Jake Butt retired from the NFL this past July. Remember when he suffered a torn ACL in the meaningless Orange Bowl in 2016? He went from having 1st Round potential to being picked in the 5th round, he struggled with injuries throughout his NFL career, and started in only four games, failing to record a single NFL touchdown.

It’s impossible to truly play the “what if” game out to too many degrees, but what can be certain is that if he had sat out the Orange Bowl in 2016, he would have collected much more money over his rookie contract, without any real harm coming to his team. No one would remember today that he sat out that bowl game. Now, admittedly without any knowledge of his personal finances, he stands at 26 years old having only made the money off his 5th round rookie contract. Is that enough for him to even actually retire comfortably? That was likely a huge loss for him.

• Like 2