2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

After watching Saturday I think Hutch is a better fit for the Lions, more because of his motor.  The guy obviously has talent, & will run thru a brick wall for you.  That has Dan Campbell written all over it.  I'm hoping for 1 of the OSU WR's with the Rams pick.

• Like 1

I think Hutch is the safer pick and could potentially be better but I feel confident that barring injury he is going to at the very least be a real good player. 

As mentioned that motor is something that will translate to any level against any competition,on top of that he seems to have a high football iq and is a great tackler. 

Thibs on the other hand has the freak raw tools that can make him a Myles Garrett but those tools can only take you so far. I'm not saying he doesn't have a motor or high iq, I havent seen enough of him to say one way or another but without those you could end up struggling at the next level even with the raw tools.

I was listening to the latest Pride of Detroit podcast this morning and they had draft analyst and analytics guy Kent Lee Platte on the show and they were discussing Thibs vs. Hutchison. Platte is no guru by any means, just one analyst with an opinion, and he was Thibs over Hutch for the Lions. He says he was more productive per snap and got more pressure than Hutch. Thibs was more explosive and quicker and he compared Thibs to Chase Young and Myles Garrett. Thibs gets pressure on almost 20% of his snaps.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was listening to the latest Pride of Detroit podcast this morning and they had draft analyst and analytics guy Kent Lee Platte on the show and they were discussing Thibs vs. Hutchison. Platte is no guru by any means, just one analyst with an opinion, and he was Thibs over Hutch for the Lions. He says he was more productive per snap and got more pressure than Hutch. Thibs was more explosive and quicker and he compared Thibs to Chase Young and Myles Garrett. Thibs gets pressure on almost 20% of his snaps.

Eye test says otherwise.

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Eye test says otherwise.

Your eye has seen much more of Hutch than Thibodeaux.   It’s naturally going to be biased.  

Hutch has closed the gap based on his game tape but college game performance isn’t the sole determining factor in evaluating NFL prospects.    A better picture will emerge after pro days and the combine.   

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

its about projection, not what they did in college.  

Yep.   The goal isn’t to draft the guy that is the best college player at 21 years old.   It’s finding the ones that are going to be the best for the years to come.   It’s also about identifying the late bloomers and the ones whose game is better suited for the NFL than college.    

31 minutes ago, NYLion said:

TP's eye test is generally very different from the rest of the population. Well, the population that has eyes that can see.

tp tends to view michigan players through maize and blue colored glasses.

but hutch is a really good player.  but is he the next jj watt?  who knows.

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

tp tends to view michigan players through maize and blue colored glasses.

but hutch is a really good player.  but is he the next jj watt?  who knows.

No doubt, I'm a big fan of Hutch too. It's just TP's take of Hutch being a "no brainer" that takes it into hot take territory. Thibodeaux has elite tools and as I mentioned in a previous post, there's a lot more that goes into evaluation than raw production especially in this case so it's a tough decision between the two which ultimately is a good thing for the Lions.

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Your eye has seen much more of Hutch than Thibodeaux.   It’s naturally going to be biased.  

Hutch has closed the gap based on his game tape but college game performance isn’t the sole determining factor in evaluating NFL prospects.    A better picture will emerge after pro days and the combine.   

I think Hutch will test better than Thibs. Better player, and better prospect overall.

24 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I think Hutch will test better than Thibs. Better player, and better prospect overall.

We will find out that’s for sure.  My gut says Thibs will have better overall numbers but Hutch will beat expectations more.     I think Hutch is the better player at the moment but it’s too early to tell if he’s the better prospect.   

If Thibs was smart, he’d put his ego aside and do everything in his power to let Hutch be the first pick to the Lions.   

• Haha 1

A buddy of mine threw out a wild thought, what if the Lions draft both Aidan and Ojabo? Personally I think Ojabo will be gone by our 2nd pick but who knows, if the Rams keep losing he could potentially be there in the late teens. If he is I wouldn't totally be against it. With the picks we made last year on the interior they could potentially give us a great young d line. 

We could then take the best WR available with our 2nd round and 3rd round picks. I'd have to see how the board shakes up but if they aren't in love with any of the QBs and they think they could get a similar WR a dozen or so picks later then I think I like the idea. 

Edited by RandyMarsh