2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kiper released his new top 25. Has Thibs 1, Hutchinson 5 and Ojabo all the way up to 10. Didn't have Daxton HIll in his top 25 but he has him 2nd out of all the safeties after Hamilton who he has 2nd overall so I'm guessing he's just outside the top 25. 

Has Pickett as the top ranked QB at 20 followed by Willis at 25.  Has 6 WRs in the top 25 overall with Drake London from USC being the highest at 7. The OSU pair of Wilson and Olave are 16 and 22 respectively. 

Still a ton of time before the draft but it appears that we may be able to get a really good WR with the Rams pick if we choose to go that route.  

Holmes and Dorsey don't have a track record of drafting WRs in the 1st round. Combined they only have 1 WR drafted in the 1st. Granted the Rams haven't had a lot of 1st round picks and that doesn't include Dorsey trading a 1st for OBJ. Given the depth of late 1st round receivers and the Lions likely having the 1st pick in the 2nd round, they can probably using the Rams pick on a QB and still get a decent receiver.  

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Holmes and Dorsey don't have a track record of drafting WRs in the 1st round. Combined they only have 1 WR drafted in the 1st. Granted the Rams haven't had a lot of 1st round picks and that doesn't include Dorsey trading a 1st for OBJ. Given the depth of late 1st round receivers and the Lions likely having the 1st pick in the 2nd round, they can probably using the Rams pick on a QB and still get a decent receiver.  

Yeah I think it will depend on how the draft shakes out. Judging by that War Room video from last draft where Sheila asked about a WR only for Holmes to say they could get a similar one later(presumably St. Brown) leads me to think that unless there is only 1 or 2 receivers available at that pick that are clearly a cut above any guys they could get with a later selection then they will probably just wait. 

For instance if say 4 of those top guys drop to the Rams pick they may think it is best to get a different position and bank on atleast one of them still being there in the 2nd. Atleast that's how I would do it. 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This looks to be such a weak draft class.      So very thin on playmakers.   

I do think there are a couple playmakers on defense but on offense I do agree, no receivers as good as the top guys last year and none of the qbs would probably be ranked above any of the top 5 last year. Of course that would happen the year the Lions get the first pick and have 2 first rounders.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I do think there are a couple playmakers on defense but on offense I do agree, no receivers as good as the top guys last year and none of the qbs would probably be ranked above any of the top 5 last year. Of course that would happen the year the Lions get the first pick and have 2 first rounders.

psst...lions are likely to be picking top 3 next year too..

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its too bad Caleb Williams isn't available to 2024, I think he has the potential to be one of those generational guys. 

Have faith. I'm sure the Lions will be in a position to take him, the new GM and coach will be happy to have him. 😉

Im torn on the idea of taking a QB with the Rams pick or our 2nd. On one hand it obviously would end up being worth it if he turns himself into a legit qb freeing us up to not have to use a 1st on one the following year. 

On the other hand they rarely work out and you run the risk of passing on the superior option the following year cause you think you got your guy. Kinda like Philly did this past year, they figured they were set with Hurts and passed on qbs only to now reconsider that decision. 

Also we have so many needs and holes it seems risky to use a precious early pick on a qb that will likely have quite a bit of question marks. 

With that said I could be talked into it and would inevitably support the pick and player if they do end up going that route. 

McShay's latest big board has 6 WRs in the top 25 before a little drop to the 7th one, as of now if 2 of those 6 are available with our 2nd and 3rd picks I would seriously consider doubling up on WR with those picks and waiting to 2023 for our qb.

I think those 2 WRs along with Hock, Swift and our offensive line would give that QB the tools he needed to succeed from day 1.

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I could live with Thibodeaux and Dax Hill in the first and Sam Howell or another QB at the top of the 2nd.  I could also live with Kyle Hamilton at 1-1 and Ojabo at the 2nd 1st and then trade back from the top of round 2.

I know that Kyle Hamilton is not just a traditional Safety and can be moved all over the field and schemed into different concepts given his athletic profile and versatility. I also know that past draft decisions by a prior regime should not dictate future draft decisions by a new regime. That said, there is something wholly underwhelming about having four Top 10 picks in a row and you come away with a TE, CB, LT, and S and not one QB or Edge Rusher/DE. I don't think you can pass on Thibodeaux for Kyle Hamilton. As good as Hamilton may be in coverage, creating turnovers, and adding versatility to this defense, we need a dynamic pass rusher capable of disrupting the QB and getting 10+ sacks a season that we can build this defense around. I don't know that Hamilton is a guy you're building the defense around.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I know that Kyle Hamilton is not just a traditional Safety and can be moved all over the field and schemed into different concepts given his athletic profile and versatility. I also know that past draft decisions by a prior regime should not dictate future draft decisions by a new regime. That said, there is something wholly underwhelming about having four Top 10 picks in a row and you come away with a TE, CB, LT, and S and not one QB or Edge Rusher/DE. I don't think you can pass on Thibodeaux for Kyle Hamilton. As good as Hamilton may be in coverage, creating turnovers, and adding versatility to this defense, we need a dynamic pass rusher capable of disrupting the QB and getting 10+ sacks a season that we can build this defense around. I don't know that Hamilton is a guy you're building the defense around.

no flipping way would i take a safety with the first pick in the nfl draft.  no no no.  

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yeah...it's tough to argue with what you're saying.  I really like Hamilton and Thibodeaux...we drafted Bennie Blades at 3 in 1988 and he anchored the secondary for close to a decade.  I think Hamilton could do that and give us some flexibility in our defensive packages.   I don't think we can go wrong with either.

24 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Yeah...it's tough to argue with what you're saying.  I really like Hamilton and Thibodeaux...we drafted Bennie Blades at 3 in 1988 and he anchored the secondary for close to a decade.  I think Hamilton could do that and give us some flexibility in our defensive packages.   I don't think we can go wrong with either.

1988 was a good draft for the lions.

but just as an example, would you rather have had Neil Smith or Bennie Blades?  defensive end is a more important position than safety, imo.