2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

47 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Just a reminder that the tank is going well, they should have the #1 pick sewed up soon. They have room for error, so they can win a game, preferably against Chicago, but that's not entirely necessary.

HaHa. It will be telling if once they have an unassailable lead on the #1 pick, the coaching suddenly becomes less self-destructive. 🤔

On 11/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, TP_Fan said:

Hutchinson >>>Thibodeaux

Neither should be taken as the first pick of the draft. I like them both but Lions need to understand positional value is a thing. Taking a DT in the second and third round last year was stupid given all the holes on the roster. I get building through the tranches but back to back top 3 round picks on DT isn't smart. 

2 hours ago, Triggerwarning said:

Neither should be taken as the first pick of the draft. I like them both but Lions need to understand positional value is a thing. Taking a DT in the second and third round last year was stupid given all the holes on the roster. I get building through the tranches but back to back top 3 round picks on DT isn't smart. 

The Lions run a 3-4, so they needed different defensive linemen to begin with. They needed a nose tackle, and got the only one in the draft. That's a lot of position value on the 2nd day.

8 hours ago, Triggerwarning said:

They are edge players.  Not tackles.   

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-giants-find-replacement-for-daniel-jones-browns-beef-up-receiving-corps/

First mock I've seen that doesn't have us taking Thibs instead it has us actually going with Hutchinson. Also has us taking Dotson with our Rams pick. Some other notable picks are Willis being the first QB off the board to the Giants all the way up at number 5 and Thibs dropping to number 8.  

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-giants-find-replacement-for-daniel-jones-browns-beef-up-receiving-corps/

First mock I've seen that doesn't have us taking Thibs instead it has us actually going with Hutchinson. Also has us taking Dotson with our Rams pick. Some other notable picks are Willis being the first QB off the board to the Giants all the way up at number 5 and Thibs dropping to number 8.  

pickett is the first qb off the board at #4.

strange mock probably designed to get attention, but you never know.  yhe draft is a long way away.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

pickett is the first qb off the board at #4.

strange mock probably designed to get attention, but you never know.  yhe draft is a long way away.

Exactly.  This guy has been click bait all season long.  He puts these crazy mocks that change weekly just to get people talking.  He’s the Carlos Monarrez of mock drafters.   

Yeah I didn't know his history, just saw somebody tweet it out earlier, also I know mocks mean nothing at this point but if they are written by true insiders or true talent evaluators I think it serves a purpose to see where abouts people view talent as of now. It's obviously way too early to put any stock into them whatsoever though.  

With that said I do say that I wouldn't be surprised if a QB went as high as 5th, granted this is one of the weaker QB classes I can remember, atleast going by where pundits rank the best ones overall but seemingly every year there is a QB or two that ends up getting taken in the top 10 way ahead of anybody's projections. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I didn't know his history, just saw somebody tweet it out earlier, also I know mocks mean nothing at this point but if they are written by true insiders or true talent evaluators I think it serves a purpose to see where abouts people view talent as of now. It's obviously way too early to put any stock into them whatsoever though.  

With that said I do say that I wouldn't be surprised if a QB went as high as 5th, granted this is one of the weaker QB classes I can remember, atleast going by where pundits rank the best ones overall but seemingly every year there is a QB or two that ends up getting taken in the top 10 way ahead of anybody's projections. 

i wouldnt be surprised if multiple qbs go in the top 10.  there is plenty of time for the draft hype machine to get working and willis to become the "next lamar jackson."  i could even see the lions going qb at 1 or wherever they pick.

also, aidan hutchinson is damn good.  i know thibodeaux has been hurt and will show out in workouts, but hutchinson is playing so well im not so sure he isnt the safer pick.  does he end up being someone like chris long?  solid but not spectacular?  whereas thibodeaux ends up like jarad allen?  pure pass rush?

dunno.  that's above my pay grade.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Hutch and Thib may be 1 and 2 off the board. After today, I'm not as sure on the order.

The other thing is...

If the Lions stick with the 3-4, Hutch may be the better fit. He'll need to add 10-20 pounds of muscle...

Thibs might be caught as a 'tweener that they don't use effectively (too big for Outside LB'er and terrible in coverage, not big enough to set the edge or hold his ground in a 3-4). Maybe he'd be a situational pass-rusher in the Lions' scheme? But is that what we want at 1-1?

Better hope that Hutch is the 2nd coming of J.J. Watts...

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They might have to take WRs with their 2nd first round pick AND their second round pick.    It's such a glaring weakness for them .  

They have so many holes it's ridiculous.

And Decker is playing like he wants to be traded to another team. Another hole opens if that happens.

I'd like a QB to drop to us at the Rams pick... I know everyone loses their head at the draft for QB's, but... please not this year. I'd like to at least have the option of not having to live through another season of Goff...

And then we can do WR's in the 2nd and 3rd or whatever it takes.

Need LB's too... in a bad way.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The other thing is...

If the Lions stick with the 3-4, Hutch may be the better fit. He'll need to add 10-20 pounds of muscle...

Thibs might be caught as a 'tweener that they don't use effectively (too big for Outside LB'er and terrible in coverage, not big enough to set the edge or hold his ground in a 3-4). Maybe he'd be a situational pass-rusher in the Lions' scheme? But is that what we want at 1-1?

Better hope that Hutch is the 2nd coming of J.J. Watts...

I feel like if he's the best pass rusher and worthy of the number 1 pick, you draft him and build your scheme around him.

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I feel like if he's the best pass rusher and worthy of the number 1 pick, you draft him and build your scheme around him.

The problem is that coaches don't ever really seem to do that. If they wanna run a 3-4, they'll draft for a 3-4. And if they draft a smaller DE that really fits in a 4-3 and not so much a 3-4, will they change the scheme?

Nah, they'll just try to ram the 4-3 DE into their 3-4. Or at least it seems like that's how it happens more often than the coaching staff adjusting their scheme to fit the player...

Edited by 1984Echoes

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The problem is that coaches don't ever really seem to do that. If they wanna run a 3-4, they'll draft for a 3-4. And if they draft a smaller DE that really fits in a 4-3 and not so much a 3-4, will they change the scheme?

Nah, they'll just try to ram the 4-3 DE into their 3-4. Or at least it seems like that's how it happens more often than the coaching staff adjusting their scheme to fit the player...

I can see a team not wanting to change a scheme to draft one player. Even if he is a stud is he really going to bring enough to balance how much it might cost you in the performance of all your existing players who were picked for fit the current scheme? Now that is a general consideration. The Lions have so few players worth anything in the front 7 it would be perfectly reasonable to pick one great player when he's available and rebuild around the scheme that best fits him. Will Holmes/Campbell see Hutchinson (or Thibs) as that guy?

Edited by gehringer_2

It’s as clear as day to me that Hutchinson is the best player in America.  He went toe to toe with 5 starts yesterday, on both the left and right side, and he absolutely dominated.  He had 15 QB pressures, the most since PFF started keeping track in 2014.  Take the Hutchinson and then WR with the Rams pick and our 2nd rd pick.  Find a QB in the 3rd rd of this draft.