2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

It’s as clear as day to me that Hutchinson is the best player in America.  He went toe to toe with 5 starts yesterday, on both the left and right side, and he absolutely dominated.  He had 15 QB pressures, the most since PFF started keeping track in 2014.  Take the Hutchinson and then WR with the Rams pick and our 2nd rd pick.  Find a QB in the 3rd rd of this draft. 

the chances of getting a good nfl qb in the third round are about 5 or 6%.

if youre going to take a qb, the odds are overwhelming that you will need to do it in round one.

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

the chances of getting a good nfl qb in the third round are about 5 or 6%.

if youre going to take a qb, the odds are overwhelming that you will need to do it in round one.

Geez, it's too bad Stroud is not available. Impressive kid. I think he made maybe 2  bad throws yesterday even with all that pressure? And in pretty crappy conditions.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Geez, it's too bad Stroud is not available. Impressive kid. I think he made maybe 2  bad throws yesterday even with all that pressure? And in pretty crappy conditions.

he'll be a top 5 pick next year.  and chances are the lions will be picking in the top 5 again next year too.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

As far as the Aidan/Thibs debate, lets be real, whoever we pick will end up being average at best and whoever we pass on will turn into a perennial All Pro. That's just how things work with us. 

Or it could be like when they drafted Suh over McCoy and both were pretty good but Suh may have been a little better.

• Like 1

I always liked Hutchinson but as a fall back plan if they won a few games and fell to 2-4 in the draft but that Ohio State performance (against 1st round talent) was a major eye opener.

I have a lot of time for players that come up big in big games and he was an absolute game wrecker on Saturday even beyond the numbers with many more pressures that forced rushed throws. He streamrolled that left tackle on several occasions, it was really impressive.

I still have Thibodeaux a slight notch above because he has all the physical tools that the elite edge rushers have while Hutch is more of a high motor, relentless attacker type but it sure is an interesting debate to be had.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I always liked Hutchinson but as a fall back plan if they won a few games and fell to 2-4 in the draft but that Ohio State performance (against 1st round talent) was a major eye opener.

I have a lot of time for players that come up big in big games and he was an absolute game wrecker on Saturday even beyond the numbers with many more pressures that forced rushed throws. He streamrolled that left tackle on several occasions, it was really impressive.

I still have Thibodeaux a slight notch above because he has all the physical tools that the elite edge rushers have while Hutch is more of a high motor, relentless attacker type but it sure is an interesting debate to be had.

I’m the same.  I like KT a little better at the moment but Hutch is closing the gap. His emergence is a great thing for the Lions.   Here’s another player at a position of great need that will be very much in play for the top pick.   It’s not just KT and everyone else anymore.   

Edited by Hongbit

On 11/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-giants-find-replacement-for-daniel-jones-browns-beef-up-receiving-corps/

First mock I've seen that doesn't have us taking Thibs instead it has us actually going with Hutchinson. Also has us taking Dotson with our Rams pick. Some other notable picks are Willis being the first QB off the board to the Giants all the way up at number 5 and Thibs dropping to number 8.  

If the Giants go QB, I'd take a flyer on Daniel Jones over Goff.  At least the kid can run & thus avoid pressure.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’m the same.  I like KT a little better at the moment but Hutch is closing the gap. His emergence is a great thing for the Lions.   Here’s another player at a position of great need that will be very much in play for the top pick.   It’s not just KT and everyone else anymore.   

It was my hope going into last Saturday that Hutchinson would come up big and make a case for #1 and mission accomplished. That was actually one of the best games I've seen from an edge rusher in a big game in a very long time.

It's creating a much better scenario for the Lions than it looked like several weeks ago. It's sort of like Suh vs. McCoy although none of these guys are close to the level of prospect that Suh was who was the most dominant college football player I've ever seen in his senior season.

Edited by NYLion

Which each Rams loss...That Rams pick is creeping up the board.  Trade back or count our blessings and keep it?

I would be inclined to listen hard to offers to trade....so many holes to fill.

Warming up to the notion of taking AH at #1

Edited by Shinzaki

Trades in the later 1st round and beyond don't typically happen until draft day, and with good reason. If the second pick is at 24, the board falls such that you have 3 WRs available who you like, and the Ravens or Titans at 30 call you, or even the Texans or Jaguars at 34, you'll probably entertain that a lot more than you would if you're sitting at 24 with only one WR left who you like.

People are all over themselves for KT because he has all the elite skills necessary to be a great edge rusher. What does this even mean?   Watching Oregon games he is clearly not the difference maker hutchinson is.  What else is frustrating is people seem to think that having a motor is almost a negative: “he is only good because he tries so hard.”   The dude has separated himself for the number 1 pick in my opinion.  If the lions don’t draft him then Holmes doesn’t know anything about football.  

I still think it is acceptable to take Thibs at #1, but after watching Hutchison manhandle and bully around one of the better OLs in the country, one with multiple future NFL players on it, I am sold on taking Hutch #1 overall. For all the hype we heard with guys like Chase Winovich and Rashan Gary when they were at Michigan, Hutch is delivering on the hype with big productivity. I think Hutch is in the mold of prime JJ Watt and unlike Watt, he appears to be able to stay healthy for a full season. I'm not Hutch or bust, but after Saturday, I'm strongly leaning towards him.

I did a laughably big 13 player mock draft tonight with multiple trades. I ended up trading out of the #1 pick with Jacksonville and getting their #3 pick overall and still landed Hutch.

Trades:

Detroit receives: #3 overall, #34 (2nd), #67 (3rd), #188 (6th) and Jacksonville receives: #1 overall

Detroit receives: #51 (2nd), #63 (2nd) and Baltimore receives: #34 overall

#3: Aidan Hutchinson/DE - Michigan

#23: Drake London/WR - USC

#33: Trent McDuffie/CB - Washington

#51: Christian Harris/WLB - Alabama

#63: Jahan Dotson/WR - Penn State

#65: Zion Johnson/OG - Boston College

#67: Owen Pappoe/OLB - Auburn

#98: Breece Hall/RB - Iowa State

#176: Tre' Williams/DE - Arkansas

#180: Hendon Hooker/QB - Tennessee

#188: Jamaree Salyer/OT - Georgia

#218: Danny Gray/WR - SMU

#235: Jack Sanborn/OLB - Wisconsin

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I did a laughably big 13 player mock draft tonight with multiple trades. I ended up trading out of the #1 pick with Jacksonville and getting their #3 pick overall and still landed Hutch.

Trades:

Detroit receives: #3 overall, #34 (2nd), #67 (3rd), #188 (6th) and Jacksonville receives: #1 overall

Detroit receives: #51 (2nd), #63 (2nd) and Baltimore receives: #34 overall

#3: Aidan Hutchinson/DE - Michigan

#23: Drake London/WR - USC

#33: Trent McDuffie/CB - Washington

#51: Christian Harris/WLB - Alabama

#63: Jahan Dotson/WR - Penn State

#65: Zion Johnson/OG - Boston College

#67: Owen Pappoe/OLB - Auburn

#98: Breece Hall/RB - Iowa State

#176: Tre' Williams/DE - Arkansas

#180: Hendon Hooker/QB - Tennessee

#188: Jamaree Salyer/OT - Georgia

#218: Danny Gray/WR - SMU

#235: Jack Sanborn/OLB - Wisconsin

The problem becomes with that many pick 25 percent of your roster would be rookies. I mean i guess its OK when you win 0, but your likely in for a rough season with that many guys learnig on the jobl

Edited by KL2

6 hours ago, KL2 said:

The problem becomes with that many pick 25 percent of your roster would be rookies. I mean i guess its OK when you win 0, but your likely in for a rough season with that many guys learnig on the jobl

I actually think that's ok for a couple of reasons. First, it sets you up for drafting in the top 3-5 and allows you to get your QB in the 2023 draft without having to trade draft capital to move up and get one. Second, this roster is so awful anyways, there is going to be a lot of turnover as is, so having that amount of draft capital, while normally wholly unrealistic, allows you to remake and turn the roster over quicker.

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I actually think that's ok for a couple of reasons. First, it sets you up for drafting in the top 3-5 and allows you to get your QB in the 2023 draft without having to trade draft capital to move up and get one. Second, this roster is so awful anyways, there is going to be a lot of turnover as is, so having that amount of draft capital, while normally wholly unrealistic, allows you to remake and turn the roster over quicker.

That's why I said when you have 0 you might be able to do it. But its hard to run with 7 on a 53 as rookies. Your draft is 25 percent plus the other 7 who were picks this year.

15 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

People are all over themselves for KT because he has all the elite skills necessary to be a great edge rusher. What does this even mean?   Watching Oregon games he is clearly not the difference maker hutchinson is.  What else is frustrating is people seem to think that having a motor is almost a negative: “he is only good because he tries so hard.”   The dude has separated himself for the number 1 pick in my opinion.  If the lions don’t draft him then Holmes doesn’t know anything about football.  

This is exactly the problem with your posting style. You post everything in absolutes, it's always an extreme stance with you.

The fact of the matter is that KT does have all the elite skills and physical attributes that the top edge rushers have and it's something that counts for a lot when taking about upside. You also need to watch the games to make a proper assessment instead of just looking at a stat sheet. There's no doubt that he's been a bit underwhelming by the eye test and he was disappointing in the Utah game but teams scheme away from him. He doesn't have the luxury of another 1st round level pass rusher on the other side to allow him to go one on one with the tackle most of the game like the case is with Hutch so teams can focus their gameplan on double teaming him and scheming plays to the other side of the field kind of like a shutdown corner in a sense when they avoid his side of the field most of the game (Revis Island for instance).

Hutchinson's performance in the Ohio State game and over the course of the season was a major eye opener and there's a lot to like about his game but to completely dismiss Thibodeaux and the immense talent he has because of a stat sheet is foolish. I think it's a strong debate between the two which ultimately is a good thing for the Lions unlike two drafts ago when they almost had to pick Okudah because nobody else was really worthy of the 3rd selection. It'll be a lot of fun to watch these two games Friday and Saturday to see who shows out more.

Edited by NYLion

52 minutes ago, buddha said:

brugler's new mock is up at the athletic.  has hutch #1 to the lions.  also says hutch and thibs would be borderline top 10 picks in last year's draft.

I could see that. Last draft was exceptionally strong at the top but it's deceiving because the top 10 went offense heavy and was generally a weak draft for Front 7 defenders. I'd say these two are comparable to Parsons as a prospect and he went 12th but could have easily gone 3rd in the previous draft.

Edited by NYLion