2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

If this is just a down year for Decker, I like the idea of keeping him. Whether at LT or RT, he could be a real anchor to the line along with Ragnow and Sewell.

He's been pretty awful this year though. Between the injuries, the comments to the media, and the plain poor performance, it seems like he's completely lost his identity out there. He's both tanked his trade value and his value to the team. If we could get something I would not be opposed, but I'm not sure we could get a 1st for him right now, let alone a top five pick.

McShay has us taking Howell with the Rams pick. Im on record of saying I don't want to take a qb this draft but with that said I do think Howell has the potential to be a steal and could end up being a franchise guy.  

Ive watched a couple of their games this year and he showed me that he could make all the throws, had great mobility but his decision making left alot to be desired.

The thing is though that he has ZERO help this year and has been running for his life most of the time.  In situations like that sometimes you feel like you need to force things.

I can't say for sure if that has been his problem or not but if you are of the belief that the lack of talent around him has been his problem he could end up being a steal. Personally though I'm not sure I want to make that gamble.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

McShay has us taking Howell with the Rams pick. Im on record of saying I don't want to take a qb this draft but with that said I do think Howell has the potential to be a steal and could end up being a franchise guy.  

Ive watched a couple of their games this year and he showed me that he could make all the throws, had great mobility but his decision making left alot to be desired.

The thing is though that he has ZERO help this year and has been running for his life most of the time.  In situations like that sometimes you feel like you need to force things.

I can't say for sure if that has been his problem or not but if you are of the belief that the lack of talent around him has been his problem he could end up being a steal. Personally though I'm not sure I want to make that gamble.

i'd rather pass on a qb this year and wait until next year when we pick in the top 5 again.

use this year to get your myles garrett/jj watt at #1, then get your obj at 25, get a quality safety or lb at the start of round 2, and get solid depth in round 3.

use your two #1 picks in 2023 to trade up for your qb of the future.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd rather pass on a qb this year and wait until next year when we pick in the top 5 again.

use this year to get your myles garrett/jj watt at #1, then get your obj at 25, get a quality safety or lb at the start of round 2, and get solid depth in round 3.

use your two #1 picks in 2023 to trade up for your qb of the future.

This is where Im at but depending on how the draft shakes out I wouldn't be opposed to doubling up on receiver with the Rams and our 2nd round pick. 

Reason being is that atleast as of now the evaluators that I follow have anywhere from 7 to 10 WR with 1st round grades followed by a drop off after that. If we could get 2 1st round talent WRs that could totally revamp our offense, couple with St. Brown progressing like I expect and suddenly we could potentially throw out a bunch of weapons.

Then you add in our offensive line and whomever we draft at QB in 2023 should theoretically atleast be able to step in and produce from day 1 which to me is my ultimate goal.

Of course come draft day there is a high end talent at another position that drops to the 2nd round and the 1st round level receivers are all gone then most certainly go that direction instead, really though it will be hard to screw up this draft.

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • DET
    Aidan Hutchinson
    EDGE Michigan

• DET
    Treylon Burks
    WR Arkansas

• DET
    Kenny Pickett
    QB Pittsburgh

• DET
    Christian Harris
    LB Alabama

• DET
    Nehemiah Pritchett
    CB Auburn

• DET
    Zakoby McClain
    LB Auburn

• DET
    Quentin Lake
    S UCLA

• DET
    James Mitchell
    TE Virginia Tech

• DET
    Jequez Ezzard
    WR Sam Houston State

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I’m super high on Treylon Burks.  My favorite WR in this class.  

I’m very uncertain on Pickett.  Can’t tell if he’s got star potential or is the next Josh Rosen.   

I would love to get the QB of the future in this draft; then the Lions can concentrate on the best talent. This draft would have two impact starters, and two future starters imo.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, TP_Fan said:

What’s decker trade value?  Lots of mocks have the jags taking an OT with their first pick.  You could trade decker (former Meyer player) to the jags for their first and then take both Hutchinson and KT.  Do this before Meyer quits.  I’ll hang up and listen.  

If Meyer did this trade he should be fired on the spot... hopefully right after the NFL makes the trade official so it can't be undone.

Please don't misunderstand... I don't think Decker is trash at all.  He's a very good player and the Lions would create yet another hole they would need to fill.  But I absolutely would take that deal from the Lions side in a heart beat.  Decker will be 29 at the start of next year and probably 31, 32 before the Lions are looking at being really competitive again.  He's going to be getting old (for the NFL of course) by then. I'd absolutely take the 3rd overall pick for him.

As for Meyer, if a guy leading a bad team trades away a super high draft pick for an very good, but aging, player... that's a fireable offense right there.

If the Lions take a QB it will most likely be at 25 or whatever opposed to 33 due to a first round pick having an extra year of control.

If they like one of these QB's they need to make an effort to move up down or whatever to get him at the appropriate spot. They desperately need a QB and waiting until the 2023 draft is not a good idea for a myriad of reasons, the least of which they will have no idea where they are picking.

Lions 1st round QB picks.

1944/4th overall. Otto Graham(HOF). Played 10 yrs, 7x All Pro, 23584yds. All for Cleveland. He never signed with the Lions.

1948/6th overall. Y.A. Tittle(HOF). Played 17 yrs, 3x All Pro, 33070yrds. Never played for the Lions. Signed with the Colts (AAFC) instead.

Off to a great start here!

1949/2nd overall. John Rauch. Never played for the Lions( 3 for 3 so far!) - Traded for Doak Walker. Rauch only spent three seasons in the NFL as a player but did coach the Raiders to a Super Bowl. Walker turned out to be the real deal so the pick was by no means a waste, but still did not yield a quarterback.

Lions didn't try for QB agains in the 1st round until

1962/10th overall. John Hadl. Played 17 yrs, 1x All Pro, 33503 yds. Never played for the Lions(!!!). Went to the AFL Chargers instead.

1964/5th overall. Pete Beathard. Played 11 yrs, 8176 yds, Never played for the Lions (!!!!). Went to AFL where he backed up Len Dawson with the Chiefs.

1968/11th overall. Greg Landry. Played 16 yrs, 16053 yds. Landry played 11 yrs for the Lions. Started 98 games. 40/41/3 record. The 1st QB in 6 1st round tries to actually play for the Lions. Has the closest thing to a winning record of all Lions 1st round pick QBs.

1986/12th overall. Chuck Long. Played 6 yrs, 3747 yds. Long spent 5 seasons with the Lions. Long was pretty much a bust, though as I recall it was in part because he couldn't stay healthy.

1990/7th overall. Andre Ware. Played 4 yrs. 1112 yds. Ware started 6 games for the Lions over 4 seasons. Apparently the Lions scouting director quit over Wayne Fontes' insistence on taking Ware. He was a bust.

2002/3rd overall. Joey Harrington. Played 6 yrs. 14693 yds. Harrington started 55 games for the Lions in 4 yrs, going 18-37. Played additional seasons in Atl and Miami and was out of the NFL. He passed for 3000 yds once with the Lions. Probably a fish out of water in the NFL. Semi bust.

2009/1st overall. Matthew Stafford. 1x Pro Bowl. Still active. 49007 yds. Stafford started 178 games for the Lions going 74-90-1.

One notable Lions pick at QB came in the 1957/17th round. Lions took Jack Kemp out of Occidental College. Kemp, a two time All Pro, threw for 21218 yds in his NFL, before moving into politics. But he never played for the Lions, who cut him in training camp.

There you have it. A brief history of Lions' 1st round QB picks.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In the past 50 years, the Lions have only drafted 4 QBs in the 1st round. I expected it to be more. 

I was struck by the pre-Ford ownership. They were clearly too cheap not be outbid by the AFL but also too dumb not to waste picks they weren't going to sign. And they were a pretty successful franchise - think what they would have been without squandering a bunch of top picks!

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I know there’s talk of QBs falling but this is QB league and teams can’t help themselves.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see a name that’s far down the 1st round radar like a Willis or Pickett shoot up into the top 6.    In fact I kind of expect it.    

it wouldnt surprise me to see 4 or 5 qbs taken in round one.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

If Meyer did this trade he should be fired on the spot... hopefully right after the NFL makes the trade official so it can't be undone.

Please don't misunderstand... I don't think Decker is trash at all.  He's a very good player and the Lions would create yet another hole they would need to fill.  But I absolutely would take that deal from the Lions side in a heart beat.  Decker will be 29 at the start of next year and probably 31, 32 before the Lions are looking at being really competitive again.  He's going to be getting old (for the NFL of course) by then. I'd absolutely take the 3rd overall pick for him.

As for Meyer, if a guy leading a bad team trades away a super high draft pick for an very good, but aging, player... that's a fireable offense right there.

there is a less than zero chance jacksonville would trade a top 5 pick for decker.  come on.  there is an almost 0% chance they would trade anything more than a third rounder for him.

a contender might give you a second.  maybe.

the rams might be crazy enough to give you a first but they've traded all their firsts!

4 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

If the Lions take a QB it will most likely be at 25 or whatever opposed to 33 due to a first round pick having an extra year of control.

If they like one of these QB's they need to make an effort to move up down or whatever to get him at the appropriate spot. They desperately need a QB and waiting until the 2023 draft is not a good idea for a myriad of reasons, the least of which they will have no idea where they are picking.

Id rather they wait and make sure they get the right one, nothing kills a franchise more than drafting the wrong qb early, reason being is 9 times out of 10 that franchise will still try to make it work with said wrong qb the next 4 years and miss out on superior options while putting up with bad play the whole time. 

We're very likely going to be picking in the top 5 next year,  top 10 at worst and we will have ammunition to trade up if need be. Id much prefer doing that and getting the likely superior qb vs. drafting one this year cause we feel we have to. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id rather they wait and make sure they get the right one, nothing kills a franchise more than drafting the wrong qb early, reason being is 9 times out of 10 that franchise will still try to make it work with said wrong qb the next 4 years and miss out on superior options while putting up with bad play the whole time. 

We're very likely going to be picking in the top 5 next year,  top 10 at worst and we will have ammunition to trade up if need be. Id much prefer doing that and getting the likely superior qb vs. drafting one this year cause we feel we have to. 

Plus if you draft a WR with the Rams pick, plus development from St Brown and Swift, you insert the rookie QB into a better situation and give them a fighting chance. I'm also not opposed with sticking with Goff past next season if they have to. 

If they like a QB in this draft they need to get him. Waiting until next for a QB they might like better is not a good plan.

The risk that Holmes takes is if they wait until after year 2 to get a QB and that one falls short of expectations he's 3-4 years into his regime and still doesn't have a QB. He would most likely lose his job. He has a little more room for error if he takes one this year. 

Plus it will be tough to go into next year with the same QB situation as this year and get fans excited.

If none of these QB's coming out this year impress them then they should pass.

14 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

If they like a QB in this draft they need to get him. Waiting until next for a QB they might like better is not a good plan.

The risk that Holmes takes is if they wait until after year 2 to get a QB and that one falls short of expectations he's 3-4 years into his regime and still doesn't have a QB. He would most likely lose his job. He has a little more room for error if he takes one this year. 

Plus it will be tough to go into next year with the same QB situation as this year and get fans excited.

If none of these QB's coming out this year impress them then they should pass.

Holmes is only 1 year into his regime, and his only draft is a home run.