Super Bowl Gameday Thread: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Philadelphia Eagles

Mr.TaterSalad

It’s gotten so bad that the networks all have to bring retired refs into the booth to call the games. They present this like an advance in broadcasting but it is a reminder of how over-litigated games are. And anyway, refs are not part of the entertainment. It’s like sending the waiter to sit at your table to enhance your dining experience. No dude, you are not here to be seen. 

Bradberry admitted in his presser that he held his jersey but hoped he'd get away with it. Normally I'm in the mindset of "let them play" in close situations and if the penalty didn't effect the outcome of the play I'd still agree with that mindset but in this instance that wasn't the case.  That jersey pull did impact the play, that slowed the receiver up just enough for the ball to be overthrown. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

obvious hold

I think if it's reasoanble to assume the action prevented the receiver from getting to where the ball was supposed to be thrown it's a good call, and holding a jersey does absolutely slow you down, so I don't have a problem with that call, but if this game did demonstrate anything about NFL rules, it's that there is no logical way to explain what is or isn't a catch.

• Like 1

I think the fact that there is no consensus despite the ability to watch it 100 times and slow the play down frame-by-frame illustrates just how hard the job of an NFL official is.

This isn't picking up the flag against the Cowboys, batting the ball out of the end zone against the Seahawks, or phantom hands to the face against the Packers. Those were all clearly 100% erroneous or clearly incompetence.

I think this is just a play that some officials will flag and some won't, and neither are wrong.

Here's my thoughts... fwiw...

I don't think it was the most egregious of fouls, but I do think it was a foul.  I do think that gets called 9 times out of 10 if it's seen by the refs.  I don't know how much that did or didn't effect that play, but I do think it was a foul.  I think any other game or any other point in this game it isn't talked about.  It's just a normal call.

I feel really bad that the game (more or less) ended on this call just because we watched two teams really have great games over all and stinks that a call is overshadowing the game. But I still believe that this was a foul and was legitimately flagged.

On a side note: I'm always fully aware that if this was for or against the Lions I'm sure my opinion would be very different.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

... if this game did demonstrate anything about NFL rules, it's that there is no logical way to explain what is or isn't a catch.

Yep.  The catch/fumble vs. non-catch was a very hard one.  I would say that that call is as close as you can get to possession vs. non-possession.  I honest would have been fine with them calling it either way I guess it was so close.  Personally I think I would have leaned towards it being a catch and fumble vs. incomplete but I'm not really upset that they went the other way.

The same with the "double catch" along the sidelines.  In this case I think I'd lean sorta towards it being a catch, but it was so close that I would have been fine with them calling it incomplete.

It's worth noting that both of these two plays when in favor of Philly just for anyone out there thinking the refs were trying to push for a Chiefs win.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Here's my thoughts... fwiw...

I don't think it was the most egregious of fouls, but I do think it was a foul.  I do think that gets called 9 times out of 10 if it's seen by the refs.  I don't know how much that did or didn't effect that play, but I do think it was a foul.  I think any other game or any other point in this game it isn't talked about.  It's just a normal call.

I feel really bad that the game (more or less) ended on this call just because we watched two teams really have great games over all and stinks that a call is overshadowing the game. But I still believe that this was a foul and was legitimately flagged.

On a side note: I'm always fully aware that if this was for or against the Lions I'm sure my opinion would be very different.

If that's the Lions, they would have called it, did a clock runoff to :02 seconds and taken away 2 draft picks next year. 

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Well, the Most Valuable Penalty goes to Carl Cheffers. He’s been working his whole life to be in the limelight and that was his big moment. His family must be very proud. 

Was Cheffers even the one who threw the flag?  Based on the QA with him later it sounded like a different ref threw it.

13 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

His crews are usually at the top of the league for penalty calls. 

But it was an "all-star" crew... it wasn't all his crew.  I also didn't feel like there were a lot of penalties during the game.  Just looked it up.  I counted 10 penalties, two of which were declined.  That doesn't seem terribly high.

Edit to add: According to this site, team in 2022 averages between 4 (Falcons) and 6.94 (Cardinals) penalties per game, so 10 penalties in a 10 seems very average.  (In case you're curious, Lions had 5.29 per game.)

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Another great Michigan QB calls it a career as Chad Henne announced his NFL retirement after the game. Seriously can't believe he lasted this long even if it was mainly just a backup role. Playing 15 seasons in the NFL is a helluva accomplishment. 

plus almost $40M and 2 rings - nice life.

I don’t think there would be any debate had the ball been thrown a few yards shorter. It was holding but  it really wasn’t a catchable ball and that’s a tough way to end the game.

Who knows, maybe they will look at the defensive holding rules and potentially adjust how they call it on uncatchable balls like they do on PI. 

Edited by Hongbit

24 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

But it was an "all-star" crew... it wasn't all his crew.  I also didn't feel like there were a lot of penalties during the game.  Just looked it up.  I counted 10 penalties, two of which were declined.  That doesn't seem terribly high.

The only call in this one I had an issue with was giving KC another bite at the challenge after ruling no play after the catch they then overturned. You have to challenge before the next snap. I don't think it should make a difference if the result of that snap is wiped out. But I assume that was the fault of the rule book, not the particular officials.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IIRC Anhueser-Busch did not run a Budweiser ad during the SB. Is that a first in 57yrs?

And was the Dodge Ram electric pickup the best or worst ad of the night?

I thought it was relatively well done, until I saw the fine print at the bottom: Coming Late 2024

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The only call in this one I had an issue with was giving KC another bite at the challenge after ruling no play after the catch they then overturned. You have to challenge before the next snap. I don't think it should make a difference if the result of that snap is wiped out. But I assume that was the fault of the rule book, not the particular officials.

Was that the one where the receiver ran "behind the bench" after the catch?