Super Bowl Gameday Thread: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Philadelphia Eagles

Mr.TaterSalad

The point is not whether Cheffers threw it. I know he didn’t. (But they didn’t pick up the flag, which they could have done.)  The point is that refs like him are taking up far too much of the spotlight. But in a league where a retired ref can get a multimillion dollar TV gig, maybe the limelight is a good place to be. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The point is not whether Cheffers threw it. I know he didn’t. (But they didn’t pick up the flag, which they could have done.)  The point is that refs like him are taking up far too much of the spotlight. But in a league where a retired ref can get a multimillion dollar TV gig, maybe the limelight is a good place to be. 

In fairness, I doubt he sought out a reporter after the game for an interview. I’m sure either they sought him out or he’s required to give time to the press pool.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In fairness, I doubt he sought out a reporter after the game for an interview. I’m sure either they sought him out or he’s required to give time to the press pool.

I’m aware of this. But they are on the field together in the Super Bowl with a minute left. They knew the call was marginal and that it would decide the game. They could have announced “There is no penalty on the play.” They chose not to. 

My beef is not so much with the call as with the fact that NFL officials are too involved in the game. From the time Dean Blandino went into Jerry Jones’s party bus without getting banned from the NFL for life, it has been downhill. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I legit think there is some merit to this, I heard that the average qb rating of the qbs they faced was 27th in the league and if you actually counted what they were at the time they played them(like Lawrence) it would be even lower. 

They were even being generous to the Lions. The Lions defense was historically bad at the beginning of the season when the Eagles played them. 

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I’m aware of this. But they are on the field together in the Super Bowl with a minute left. They knew the call was marginal and that it would decide the game. They could have announced “There is no penalty on the play.” They chose not to. 

My beef is not so much with the call as with the fact that NFL officials are too involved in the game. From the time Dean Blandino went into Jerry Jones’s party bus without getting banned from the NFL for life, it has been downhill. 

I guess I'm struggling to know exactly what you are upset with.  You acknowledge the crew chief didn't throw the flag so he wasn't personally trying to get into the spot light from it.  You seem to acknowledge that the call was at least technically correct if maybe you feel that it was minor enough it shouldn't have been called.  You acknowledge that the reporters probably sought him out rather than him trying to get his name out there by seeking them for a story.

You seem to be putting the "sins" of Blandino on this guy, which isn't terribly fair in my humble opinion.  Leaving aside, for the moment, whether a flag should have been thrown or not, did the crew chief do anything wrong? 

15 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I guess I'm struggling to know exactly what you are upset with.  You acknowledge the crew chief didn't throw the flag so he wasn't personally trying to get into the spot light from it.  You seem to acknowledge that the call was at least technically correct if maybe you feel that it was minor enough it shouldn't have been called.  You acknowledge that the reporters probably sought him out rather than him trying to get his name out there by seeking them for a story.

You seem to be putting the "sins" of Blandino on this guy, which isn't terribly fair in my humble opinion.  Leaving aside, for the moment, whether a flag should have been thrown or not, did the crew chief do anything wrong? 

I prefer the other view. The officials shouldn't just let the team that abuses the rules (and or the other team!) the most, win. Just because the stakes are higher doesn't mean the rules should be bent more or because one team is willing to bet the officials won't call them for illegal play because it's late in a big game. If anything you have two teams that are supposed to represent the epitome of performance - they should be able to at least meet the same standard of play that they did in the regular season. This wasn't really a controversial call, The DB directly held back the receiver on the way to where he wanted to go. That is going to be called every time it's seen. Granted it's not always seen, but that's a different question.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I prefer the other view. The officials shouldn't just let the team that abuses the rules (and or the other team!) the most, win. Just because the stakes are higher doesn't mean the rules should be bent more or because one team is willing to bet the officials won't call them for illegal play because it's late in a big game. If anything you have two teams that are supposed to represent the epitome of performance - they should be able to at least meet the same standard of play that they did in the regular season. This wasn't really a controversial call, The DB directly held back the receiver on the way to where he wanted to go. That is going to be called every time it's seen. Granted it's not always seen, but that's a different question.

Well said. I think if they highlighted the view during the broadcast where you could see the blatant jersey grab this whole thing wouldn't have gotten as big as it did but for some reason all the announcers and replays kept highlighting was the soft contact AFTER the jersey grab so viewers were thinking that was why it was a penalty. 

I believe the only time the jersey grab was brought up during the game was when Peirera mentioned it but the guys in the truck still refused to go cut to that replay even after he said it 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think a fraud team comes within three points of a Super Bowl win. I do think the Eagles had a historically easy walk through the playoffs to the Super Bowl though, and that the NFC is anybody's for the taking next year. The Eagles are not the NFC power in the way the Chiefs/Bengals/Bills are built to be an AFC power.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Well said. I think if they highlighted the view during the broadcast where you could see the blatant jersey grab this whole thing wouldn't have gotten as big as it did but for some reason all the announcers and replays kept highlighting was the soft contact AFTER the jersey grab so viewers were thinking that was why it was a penalty. 

I still have not seen this view on TV, just on the interwebs. Would have shut down most of the controversy if they showed this.

16 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I don’t like that the officiating in the NFL has gotten so obtrusive that we have to have officials in the booth. Officials are not part of the entertainment. We should have no idea who they are. 

13 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I don’t like that the officiating in the NFL has gotten so obtrusive that we have to have officials in the booth. Officials are not part of the entertainment. We should have no idea who they are. 

I don't think they are any more obstrusive than they ever were in terms changing the outcome of the game play. Replay has made officiating more time consuming, but we've always had officials making game swinging calls at critical parts of big games, because players have always crossed the line on infractions trying to get a edge at a critical point of big games. You could do away with replay completely and go go back to the status quo ante, and it would remove the delays, but I don't know how you ever force fans to go back to accepting the normal proportion of bad calls you are going to get when you have 10 angles of super slo mo video indicting each of those missed calls.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Okay... I think, if I'm following your logic... Ex-officials getting major media contracts could lead to officials trying to make sure they are more visible while officiating so that they have a better shot at that lucrative deal after they "retire" from officiating.  Is that right?

I mean, it's not an argument without merit. To run the risk of bringing up politics here, isn't that part of the problem with  politicians and lobbyists? Kind of a conflict of interest?

That said, I don't see it as a major issue myself.  I don't follow a lot of sports other than the Lions and Tigers so I don't know if this is coming up a lot more but there's just not that many "rules expert" positions, are there?  I don't think Fox or CBS or NBC or ESPN are regularly reviewing games to find officials who might make good rules experts. I don't think officials are regularly letting thoughts of the potential big media contract effecting how they call a game.