The impending death of Bally Sports

Motor City Sonics

I read a rumor that Comcast is pushing to move the channel to a new tier, that's the crux of the dispute.

I recently upgraded my package and got access to MLB/NHL/NFL network along with some others like IFC, Sundance, Paramount... so I wonder if that's where they want to put Bally's.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

and this affects all teams on Bally who's customers are Xfinity.

I'm listening on the app now.  I tried mlb.tv but it's blacked out.

Yes, we are in Florida and got the notice from Xfinity also.  Fortunately we can watch Tiger games on MLBTV except when they are in Tampa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Who uses Bally Sports as an alarm clock?

It's an old habit from when the Wings would play OT hockey against the likes of Winnepeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, or Calgary.   Wake up and put the game on.

Who uses Bally Sports as an alarm clock?

They better give folks a big monthly credit. I ditched Xfinity last fall and went with WOW as my internet, Yahoo TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the Bally app. All for half what I was paying per month to Commiecast. I miss the Comcast box and UI but not at that cost.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:18 PM, oblong said:

I use a Roku and it has the Bally Detroit app. It's $20 per month and the user interface totally stinks. I end up watching mostly on my PC now, it's the only way I can accurately fast forward. The Roku runs all the way to the end if you try to fast forward. Highly unrecommended.

On 5/1/2024 at 12:17 PM, Tenacious D said:

So, if you live in the Detroit area and have Xfinity, you’re currently out of luck?  

On 5/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, Tigerbomb13 said:

Yup

Unless you want to pay $20 more per month. You can add the Bally app to your phone or PC. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 12:18 PM, oblong said:

You won’t be able to use a VPN on your phone since phones typically use geolocation, but try using the VPN on a laptop. I can make that work on mine when the Tigers play Chicago teams.

Also, I have VPN set up for my router and I can fool my living room Apple TV unit (although I can’t fool the basement Apple TV and I don’t know why). But if you and other Michigan residents can put a VPN on your router, you might be able to see Tigers games on your smart TV or OTT device.

Edited by chasfh

I might try it on my work laptop because I notice when using the vpn sometimes websites detect my location all over the place.   I’m not that worried about it. Our laptop is basically used by my youngest son to just watch YouTube videos and our photos. 

if this is not resolved soon I also just may subscribe to Ballys. With my credit from xfinity it’s the price of a beer at Comerica park.  Funny how  that works. My decision to get another beer at a game is basically purely convenience. If I have to walk too far. No way.  If they are right there… what’s $12???  But subscribing to my team for a month?  That’s as much mental anguish was deciding to refinance or not. 

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

I might try it on my work laptop because I notice when using the vpn sometimes websites detect my location all over the place.   I’m not that worried about it. Our laptop is basically used by my youngest son to just watch YouTube videos and our photos. 

if this is not resolved soon I also just may subscribe to Ballys. With my credit from xfinity it’s the price of a beer at Comerica park.  Funny how  that works. My decision to get another beer at a game is basically purely convenience. If I have to walk too far. No way.  If they are right there… what’s $12???  But subscribing to my team for a month?  That’s as much mental anguish was deciding to refinance or not. 

It's a bargain for somebody who doesn't go to games. $20 a month to see 20 to 30 games? Yes please. Plus...how else would we watch the Pistons? 🤣🤣

16 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

They better give folks a big monthly credit. I ditched Xfinity last fall and went with WOW as my internet, Yahoo TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the Bally app. All for half what I was paying per month to Commiecast. I miss the Comcast box and UI but not at that cost.

I'm in the process of something similar. Been with DirecTv for literally decades, but switching to Hulu+ Live TV and Bally's app for half of what I had been paying. Without the Sunday Ticket, I'm no longer tied to DirecTv.

2 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I'm in the process of something similar. Been with DirecTv for literally decades, but switching to Hulu+ Live TV and Bally's app for half of what I had been paying. Without the Sunday Ticket, I'm no longer tied to DirecTv.

My brother has Hulu live and loves it. Does Comcast still limit the data on their internet? It used to be 2 GB per month. I'm not sure how much data streaming uses per hour. I've heard 4k TVs use much more data. And I think Yahoo now has the Sunday Ticket...I may get it next season. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

My brother has Hulu live and loves it. Does Comcast still limit the data on their internet? It used to be 2 GB per month. I'm not sure how much data streaming uses per hour. I've heard 4k TVs use much more data. And I think Yahoo now has the Sunday Ticket...I may get it next season. 

I'm in the Toledo area, so I have Buckeye cable. AT&T is putting fibre in our neighborhood right now though. YoutubeTV has the Sunday Ticket. I have a college student son, so I was able to get it for cheap last year. Yahoo is not really a thing anymore... LOL!

40 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I'm in the Toledo area, so I have Buckeye cable. AT&T is putting fibre in our neighborhood right now though. YoutubeTV has the Sunday Ticket. I have a college student son, so I was able to get it for cheap last year. Yahoo is not really a thing anymore... LOL!

Lmao...yeah, I meant youtubeTV has the NFL Sunday Ticket...a brain fart. I may get it this year, they just sent me an email with a "special" offer. $179 for Sunday Ticket or $219 for Sunday Ticket+RedZone. I've never had either so I have to read opinions.

What?!

On 5/2/2024 at 5:51 PM, Toddwert said:

a loss of a big part of your viewers seems like it would speed up the death of Bally sports Detroit

its just short term. These drops have all the time. It's over carriage fees. The sides work it out, usually within a week. 

9 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I'm still on DirecTV, and I'll probably stick with it for a while.

For one thing, I've negotiated $80 or so a month off the topline price to something more reasonable. For another, I like the convenience of channel numbers, and channel neighborhoods, and surfing.

I'm not so keen on having to rely on search because sometimes I just want to browse, and browsing the DTV menu has a comfortable familiarity to it (I've been with them since 1999). When I browse the streamers, 95% of what I see are of a certain type of action-adventure-thriller-horror-scifi-reality-franchise fare.

I also like how everything on DTV is centralized in one app, versus having to travel around three or four different streamers. Apple TV does centralize several streamers on their home page, although not all.

Also, not for nothing, much of what I see on DTV is also available to me in streaming as long as I input my login credentials on the various network sites.

And when it comes to baseball, my MLB Extra Innings package not only gets me the convenience of surfing games that offer both broadcasts, but I also get MLB.tv plus MLB audio gratis along with it anyway.

Lastly, I'm in a sharing arrangement where I provide the DTV credentials, and I get Netflix, Hulu, Disney, ESPN, and YouTube TV in return.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with it for a while longer.

20 minutes ago, KL2 said:

its just short term. These drops have all the time. It's over carriage fees. The sides work it out, usually within a week. 

My parents use Dish. They haven't had Bally for at least two years over garbage like this.