Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

Sandy Hook was the event that impacted me most psychology besides maybe 9/11. 

Now we're here again.

Sandy Hook meant a lot to me, but it especially means a lot as a young parent of a kid about to enter grade school.

These politicians down here care about schools as a vehicle to push culture war BS like CRT, but as far as keeping guns out of schools, they don't give a damn. Unsettling to say the least. 

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

What the actual fuck?

You guys told me that if abortion would be banned majority of unwanted kids will be poor minority and destined to be criminals. Statistics and everything was sighted in the argument.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, Kacie said:

Unfortunately, as gruesome as it sounds, we need pictures, video, the injuries, the horror, the dead bodies of children, the gut wrenching wailing of the parents.  It has to be shown non stop for days and days.  

Agreed 100%. The ONLY WAY to make people understand is to make them uncomfortable. Make them physically sick. Make them see the potential that that statistic on the FOX News cryhon is easily their own child. Let them SEE what their toys did to little boys and girls who went to school to learn addition and left in literal pieces.

The parents should freely consent first of course, but I promise there will be a handful that do. From Sandy Hook and Oxford too, and the many, many more that happen daily. Release the crime scene photos, release the autopsy photos, and put those pictures on full display in the Capitol Hill Chamber while we listen to Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz, and their scum circus of a contingent talk in circles about why the problem isn’t the apparatus.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Agreed 100%. The ONLY WAY to make people understand is to make them uncomfortable. Make them physically sick. Make them see the potential that that statistic on the FOX News cryhon is easily their own child. Let them SEE what their toys did to little boys and girls who went to school to learn addition and left in literal pieces.

The parents should freely consent first of course, but I promise there will be a handful that do. From Sandy Hook and Oxford too, and the many, many more that happen daily. Release the crime scene photos, release the autopsy photos, and put those pictures on full display in the Capitol Hill Chamber while we listen to Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz, and their scum circus of a contingent talk in circles about why the problem isn’t the apparatus.

They'll just say they were faked.........they were staged.    You know, like the moon landing and the round earth.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They'll just say they were faked.........they were staged.    You know, like the moon landing and the round earth.  

The Alex Jones’s of the world certainly will. I think there is a faction that just tries to blind themselves to the real-world impact that this could literally happen to anyone.

I think I’m also just clinging to whatever hope I can that there is something out there - anything - that would be a catalyst for action. I just can’t imagine what more is needed.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not enough gun restrictions

NRA hero-with-a-gun culture

bullying (around the clock now)

hip hop culture (sorry, but even if you like the music you have to admit that it glorifies violence and normalizes it,  just like rock & roll normalized drugs)

extreme Republicanism

violent videogames

lack of mental health support (in every state)

the internet

over prescribing of powerful mind-altering, but legal drugs 

corporate greed

They all play a part...........and the common thing except for the bullying and lack of mental health, they are all big money-makers, aren't they)

What always gets to me in the days following any of these tragedies isn’t even so much the GOP whataboutism, it’s the complete lack of action towards their talking point of the hour.

”It’s not GUNS that caused this you silly goose, it’s (mental illness/violent media culture/the parents/bullying/you name it)!”

*followed by a complete lack of action surrounding the lack of mental health funding and screening availability, the lack of objective benchmarks surrounding violence in video games and movies targeted at children and vulnerable populations, the lack of child welfare funding and mandated reporter trainings, and the lack of training and education in schools to properly and fully address bullying (for both the bully and the victims)*

The common denominator in these mass shootings is, has always been, and will always be, the guns. If Republican lawmakers want to consciously ignore that fact in the face of lining their pockets, that’s their choice and the blood is on their hands. The plentiful other factors that exist and go unresolved as well is really just the cherry on top.

Yep.  I've been saying for years they should work on mental health since they say thats the problem.  I'd gladly welcome that.   I doubt it solves this problem but I welcome it.

They dont do it though.   Not a single effort.   It's fucked up. 

10 hours ago, Kacie said:

Unfortunately, as gruesome as it sounds, we need pictures, video, the injuries, the horror, the dead bodies of children, the gut wrenching wailing of the parents.  It has to be shown non stop for days and days.  

I think I know where you're trying to get to, but I don't think that creates the change that needs to be made.  I don't think the culture changes until those with high stakes in keeping the current gun culture alive suffer these kinds of consequences themselves.

I am mad at myself today.    Yesterday when the news first broke and it said 2 were dead I thought "oh, only 2", as if a single 3rd grader shot at school isn't totally horrific. 

All that's really left to wonder is what state it happens in next and how many. 

I am stunned this hasn't happed at a sporting event............especially so many open stadiums that look out into a sea of buildings (like Comerica), or the mass of people that gather at an entry point like the sea of people trying to get into 3 gates at Michigan Stadium.  

Someone pointed out to me the rooftop snipers on top of the press boxes at Michigan games, they do a great job of blending them into to look like stadium workers.   It's really messed up to think about.   Gotta have snipers for just watching a football game.   

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am mad at myself today.    Yesterday when the news first broke and it said 2 were dead I thought "oh, only 2", as if a single 3rd grader shot at school isn't totally horrific. 

All that's really left to wonder is what state it happens in next and how many. 

I am stunned this hasn't happed at a sporting event............especially so many open stadiums that look out into a sea of buildings (like Comerica), or the mass of people that gather at an entry point like the sea of people trying to get into 3 gates at Michigan Stadium.  

Someone pointed out to me the rooftop snipers on top of the press boxes at Michigan games, they do a great job of blending them into to look like stadium workers.   It's really messed up to think about.   Gotta have snipers for just watching a football game.   

That's really the Las Vegas shooting. The shooter was in a hotel overlooking an outdoor concert. 

7 hours ago, pfife said:

Yep.  I've been saying for years they should work on mental health since they say thats the problem.  I'd gladly welcome that.   I doubt it solves this problem but I welcome it.

Its because in our macho culture we still look at mental illness as a weakness and not a medical condition and then on the other end of the spectrum they treat that medical condition with loads of drugs that only mask the problem like pain killers.  When I took opioids for my back for 18 months it allowed me to function, but it didn't make my back better.   So many of these shooters, especially the younger ones, are completely numbed out on these drugs.   There is a correlation between the sudden spike in the use of these drugs and the spike in shootings.    I know before the pandemic that something like 93% of mass shooters under 40 were on these legal drugs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pfife said:

After Santa Fe in 2018 (almost four years to the week), Governor Abbott commissioned a report to give recommendations to the State Legislature of things that could be done to help prevent incidences such as these.

That report, which included the introduction of a red flag law, which is a pretty basic mental health measure, went untouched for the most part. And since then, as mentioned previously, the state has actually gone further in deregulating firearms.

Until I see action on something as simple as a red flag law, it's hard to take any of the calls about "mental health" seriously... instead of the fact that they obviously are a way to kill media newscycle time so nothing changes.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

We don't let 18-20 year olds legally drink.   Why?    Because they are not mature enough.     Well if they aren't mature enough to drink...........Two people under 21 in the last 10 days,  13 and 21 victims.   

Now these folks have to deal with all the media swarming them like vultures picking at what's left of their lives.  What new question are you going to ask these people?  What new answer do you think you'll get?  How will it be different than any other community that has dealt with this?  Just leave 'em alone.