2023 NBA Playoffs

26 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

When is the last time an 8 seed eliminated a 1 seed?  I know Dallas lost when Avery Johnson was the coach. Was that the last time?

I think the Grizzlies did it against the Spurs around 2010. Of course Milwaukee was doomed as soon as I picked them to win the whole thing a couple weeks ago. 

Credit for Trae Young for carrying the Hawks offensively down the stretch and making that 3 to stave off elimination but damn if I said it once I said it a thousand times there is nobody in the NBA or perhaps even sports for that matter that has a more punchable face and mannerisms to me than Trae. I could only imagine how much more annoying I would find him if the Pistons were actually in a playoff series or rivals with the Hawks. 

The Atlanta win was impressive but Boston just threw that game away with dumb play after dumb play in the 4th. Now the pressure's on to win in ATL to prevent a game 7 and prevent Embiid from getting any more rest.

The fact that LAC cut it to 2 late in the 4th before Russ decided to go 1 on 3 and miss the game tying layup was also impressive. West-Brick was terrible all night and yet it was still a 2 point game in the 4th. Maybe it was just the matchup, but if I'm the Suns I'd be concerned that LAC took these games to the wire with Leonard and George watching from the bench.

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Draymond Green is more punchable especially after those Invisalign commercials. I would like to re-arrange those teeth again. 

This is a fair point but to me Draymonds actions and behavior are what drive his face being punchable where as for Trae his actions only add to it.

For example I remember watching the 2018 NBA draft and knowing very little about Young but as soon as they interviewed him I thought to myself"damn I want to hit that dude", it atleast took Draymond some time to get to that level for me atleast.

This is my issue with the NBA as opposed to other sports in the 1st round. Every year, it seems like around half the matchups are foregone conclusions either due to mismatches or injuries. 

There was no way the Clippers were beating the Suns with the injuries, that the Nets would beat the Sixers, Wolves over Nuggets or Hawks over Celtics (the Celtics basically gave away Game 5). The playoffs usually get better later on as the matchups even up but the 1st round is the weakest of the major sports IMO.

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

This is my issue with the NBA as opposed to other sports in the 1st round. Every year, it seems like around half the matchups are foregone conclusions either due to mismatches or injuries. 

There was no way the Clippers were beating the Suns with the injuries, that the Nets would beat the Sixers, Wolves over Nuggets or Hawks over Celtics (the Celtics basically gave away Game 5). The playoffs usually get better later on as the matchups even up but the 1st round is the weakest of the major sports IMO.

Thankfully they addressed it by expanding the playoffs so the 10th best team in the conference has a chance of making it now. 

I did prefer the 5 game 1st round series which leaves more room for upsets, but the NBA wants more cash.

However, I have to disagree about the excitement of the first round. I've watched nearly every game so far and there have been some outstanding individual games, even in the heavily favored series. Maybe they don't all translate into series wins, but the games themselves have been excellent.

There's nothing the NBA can do about injuries, but the Clippers could very well have beaten the Suns with Kawhi, not to mention Paul George. Atlanta, Minnesota, and Brooklyn might have been foregone conclusions, but there have been some phenomenal games in those series and who knows what happens in ATL for the next contest. Most people would've said Miami was going to get swept, but look at that series.

If all that matters to you is who's going to win the series, then sure, just check the scoreboard the next day and most likely the higher seed will take the series in the end, but if you actually like to see competitive basketball games this first round has been a ton of fun.

playoff basketball is fun because theyre actually trying.  i dont really mind the playin games for the same reason (even though the playin games can be really bad basketball at times).

gs sactown has been really fun to watch.  jimmy butler singlehandedly beating a hobbled giannis was fun too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

I did prefer the 5 game 1st round series which leaves more room for upsets, but the NBA wants more cash.

However, I have to disagree about the excitement of the first round. I've watched nearly every game so far and there have been some outstanding individual games, even in the heavily favored series. Maybe they don't all translate into series wins, but the games themselves have been excellent.

There's nothing the NBA can do about injuries, but the Clippers could very well have beaten the Suns with Kawhi, not to mention Paul George. Atlanta, Minnesota, and Brooklyn might have been foregone conclusions, but there have been some phenomenal games in those series and who knows what happens in ATL for the next contest. Most people would've said Miami was going to get swept, but look at that series.

If all that matters to you is who's going to win the series, then sure, just check the scoreboard the next day and most likely the higher seed will take the series in the end, but if you actually like to see competitive basketball games this first round has been a ton of fun.

There has been some fun games but there's not a lot of drama when you know who's winning the series. Wolves-Nuggets was fun for a few games but we knew who was winning that series, Hawks-Celtics was a fun Game 5 but it's just delaying the inevitable same with the Clippers had they pulled out Game 5. Kings-Warriors and Lakers-Grizzlies have been hugely entertaining because of close games and drama but when half the series are already decided before they begin, it's hard to get too excited for that IMO.

Edited by NYLion

42 minutes ago, NYLion said:

There has been some fun games but there's not a lot of drama when you know who's winning the series. Wolves-Nuggets was fun for a few games but we knew who was winning that series, Hawks-Celtics was a fun Game 5 but it's just delaying the inevitable same with the Clippers had they pulled out Game 5. Kings-Warriors and Lakers-Grizzlies have been hugely entertaining because of close games and drama but when half the series are already decided before they begin, it's hard to get too excited for that IMO.

you would have said the same thing before the miami-milwaukee series too.

but big picture youre right, the nba playoffs are more about chalk than any of the others because of the nature of the nba and the way the refs call games.  i dont mind that because it makes the occasional upset more meaningful and results in more top matchups between the best teams.  i dont really like the crapshoot that is the mlb or nhl playoffs.

That should result in a big suspension.

You can see the end of the altercation at the end of that clip.

Cops called after Anthony Edwards postgame outburst in Denver

A law enforcement source said Edwards picked up a chair and swung it, striking a security guard in the back. Then the thrown chair also hit a second worker. A source confirmed the incident and said both employees were injured and asked to file charges.

Denver Police reportedly held the T-Wolves bus up following the game to cite Edwards according to a source on the scene. The alleged incident would meet the criteria of third-degree assault, according to a law enforcement source.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

you would have said the same thing before the miami-milwaukee series too.

but big picture youre right, the nba playoffs are more about chalk than any of the others because of the nature of the nba and the way the refs call games.  i dont mind that because it makes the occasional upset more meaningful and results in more top matchups between the best teams.  i dont really like the crapshoot that is the mlb or nhl playoffs.

A healthy Giannis and it's a different story although Miami is really tough minded. I know they lost Game 4 with him but he didn't seem quite himself.

Edited by NYLion