2023 NBA Playoffs

Sadly, I now have to root for GS (which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for Draymond), because I can't root for LA. Ultimately hoping for Denver to cruise through the West and eliminate all the teams I'm rooting against.

Miami just won't go away. Let's see how bad Butler's injury is, but they took it to NYK yesterday in "the mecca of basketball".

The seeds remaining in the playoffs are 1-8 with no repeats. Not sure if that's ever happened before in the playoffs. Also, more upsets than ever in the first round. Who said there's no drama in the NBA playoffs?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

This isn't exactly going out on a limb but those Warrior/Lakers games are going to draw serious ratings. Depending on the time slots I wouldn't be surprised if they set records for this round. 

The NBA is well aware of that, based upon how some of those games were refereed in the last round.

Most people just joke about Scott Foster but some are pretty serious about it.  They theory is when the league wants a specific result Foster gets the assignment.  

Like extending a series.  In his last 25 games where a team was losing the series, the losing team is 20-5.  

5 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Couple of really good games tonight again. Nice to see KCP coming up clutch in that Denver game. Harden had a throwback game and Boston looked like they just expected to win. Their defense didn’t show up all game. 

That Phoenix - Denver game was either called after the 3rd quarter or was played in the late 90s.

22 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Sadly, I now have to root for GS (which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for Draymond), because I can't root for LA. Ultimately hoping for Denver to cruise through the West and eliminate all the teams I'm rooting against.

Miami just won't go away. Let's see how bad Butler's injury is, but they took it to NYK yesterday in "the mecca of basketball".

The seeds remaining in the playoffs are 1-8 with no repeats. Not sure if that's ever happened before in the playoffs. Also, more upsets than ever in the first round. Who said there's no drama in the NBA playoffs?

Were there any real big upsets though?

Maybe according to seed but I don't think anybody is shocked that the Lakers beat the Posers, I mean, Grizzlies that the Warriors beat the Kings and that the Heat who almost made the NBA finals last year with pretty much the same roster beat Gimpy Giannis and the Bucks. This just proves how meaningless the regular season is now with the play-in, championship level teams like the Warriors, Lakers and Heat can just cruise through the regular season knowing that they can make the play-in without putting up much effort and make noise once they get in. All the real contenders, outside of Milwaukee, are still left.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Were there any real big upsets though?

Maybe according to seed but I don't think anybody is shocked that the Lakers beat the Posers, I mean, Grizzlies that the Warriors beat the Kings and that the Heat who almost made the NBA finals last year with pretty much the same roster beat Gimpy Giannis and the Bucks. This just proves how meaningless the regular season is now with the play-in, championship level teams like the Warriors, Lakers and Heat can just cruise through the regular season knowing that they can make the play-in without putting up much effort and make noise once they get in. All the real contenders, outside of Milwaukee, are still left.

I'm clearly not going to convince someone this salty, but yeah, most people would say that they were upsets. If the higher seed won you could have been just as cynical and said, "but they were the higher seed, so everyone expected them to win." It's easy to make a destructive argument, the internet is full of people doing that all day. But If you've been watching this year's playoffs you've seen some absolutely amazing basketball, last second finishes, and tremendous individual and team performances. If not, that's cool too, I can't tell you what to like. I've been having a blast though.

43 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I'm clearly not going to convince someone this salty, but yeah, most people would say that they were upsets. If the higher seed won you could have been just as cynical and said, "but they were the higher seed, so everyone expected them to win." It's easy to make a destructive argument, the internet is full of people doing that all day. But If you've been watching this year's playoffs you've seen some absolutely amazing basketball, last second finishes, and tremendous individual and team performances. If not, that's cool too, I can't tell you what to like. I've been having a blast though.

Salty? What?

Saying that the Lakers beating the Grizzlies and the Warriors beating the Kings aren't upsets isn't me being salty and I'm not sure why my post was taken that way.

I didn't say that the basketball wasn't enjoyable, there's been some great games even though the ending to the Lakers and Warriors series were disappointing from an entertainment perspective. I'm just saying that I don't consider those upsets. Just an opinion, that's all.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

You just sounded like you were pretty down on the entertainment value and that there was no point in watching series you felt were "foregone conclusions." Sorry if I misinterpreted that. I simply feel like these have been some of the most exciting playoffs in recent memory and I'm hearing a lot of media people saying the same thing.

17 hours ago, Betrayer said:

You just sounded like you were pretty down on the entertainment value and that there was no point in watching series you felt were "foregone conclusions." Sorry if I misinterpreted that. I simply feel like these have been some of the most exciting playoffs in recent memory and I'm hearing a lot of media people saying the same thing.

I did feel like some of the series were foregone conclusions, which happens in the NBA moreso than other sports, but the entertainment level has been high including last night. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I did feel like some of the series were foregone conclusions, which happens in the NBA moreso than other sports, but the entertainment level has been high including last night. 

They were definitely some good games last night! Not the outcomes I wanted, but fun to watch.