2023 NBA Playoffs

36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Tatum shot 24% from three for the series.  Brown was even worse at 16%.  

Jaylen Brown is about to get $300M and he couldn't dribble through a couple of seventh graders without turning it over.

would you trade for jaylen brown?

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

would you trade for jaylen brown?

Sure but I wouldn't pay what I would have a year or two ago.

His handle has been exposed for the second year in a row in the playoffs.  Disappointing he couldn't step up when Tatum tweaked his ankle.  Not someone you want to run an offense through.

In his defense.  The Celtics offense has been garbage the last two seasons.  Heavy isolation without any movement.  Basically hand the ball to Tatum and Brown and see what they can do.  They desperately need a pure PG to run their offense and take the pressure off of Tatum and Brown.  Think about how much Tatum and Brown have the ball.  Combined they only average 8 assists per game which is crazy low.  And they average 6 TO's per game.  So its pretty ugly basketball.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Sure but I wouldn't pay what I would have a year or two ago.

His handle has been exposed for the second year in a row in the playoffs.  Disappointing he couldn't step up when Tatum tweaked his ankle.  Not someone you want to run an offense through.

In his defense.  The Celtics offense has been garbage the last two seasons.  Heavy isolation without any movement.  Basically hand the ball to Tatum and Brown and see what they can do.  They desperately need a pure PG to run their offense and take the pressure off of Tatum and Brown.  Think about how much Tatum and Brown have the ball.  Combined they only average 8 assists per game which is crazy low.  And they average 6 TO's per game.  So its pretty ugly basketball.

This 100%.

If nothing else, this series should demonstrate the importance of good coaching. One team was coached well, moved the ball, played defense, and played together. The other side just tried to toss a couple stars out there and win it on sheer talent alone.

It's nice to see the importance of coaching reinforced...interesting that Miami and Denver (other than Nikola) don't have a collection of stars like the teams that are going/went home.  Similarly...in the NHL the finals don't involve McDavid, Matthews, Crosby or Ovechkin.   Gives me hope that Cade, Ivey, Duren and whomever we get at 5 will be enough for a good coach to build a winner around

• Like 1

You also have to give credit to both teams front offices for finding either cast off players that they knew could fit with them and their schemes(reminds me of the going to work Pistons) and drafting or signing udfas that they thought they could potentially mold or get use out of.

In Miami's case it seems like instead of going after young players with high upsides like most teams do they went after older college players who may not have the raw athleticism or upside but are mature, smart and can fit a particular role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

You also have to give credit to both teams front offices for finding either cast off players that they knew could fit with them and their schemes(reminds me of the going to work Pistons) and drafting or signing udfas that they thought they could potentially mold or get use out of.

In Miami's case it seems like instead of going after young players with high upsides like most teams do they went after older college players who may not have the raw athleticism or upside but are mature, smart and can fit a particular role. 

So the Pistons should draft Hunter Dickenson and watch him blossom?

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So the Pistons should draft Hunter Dickenson and watch him blossom?

They need to develop Cade into a superstar who can't get his team out of the 1st round. Then they need to let him leave in a sign and trade for an undersized center who can't score to save his life but can rebound and block shots. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

n Miami's case it seems like instead of going after young players with high upsides like most teams do they went after older college players who may not have the raw athleticism or upside but are mature, smart and can fit a particular role. 

The spirit of John Beilein finds a place in the NBA without him....

Jokic just makes it look so easy. It's like he is sleepwalking out there then you look at the number and he has like 20 and 10 early in the 3rd. 

As a team the Nuggets are just so good at moving without the ball and cutting and with Jokic and others they always seem to get the ball to those guys in the right spot. 

On 5/30/2023 at 1:53 PM, Shinzaki said:

It's nice to see the importance of coaching reinforced...interesting that Miami and Denver (other than Nikola) don't have a collection of stars like the teams that are going/went home.  Similarly...in the NHL the finals don't involve McDavid, Matthews, Crosby or Ovechkin.   Gives me hope that Cade, Ivey, Duren and whomever we get at 5 will be enough for a good coach to build a winner around

Denver is pretty star laden even outside of Jokic. Murray is a star, Porter is one of the best #3 options in the league, Gordon high level role player, all guys with high draft pedigree. They're just as talented, if not more, than Boston but they play much better as a TEAM because they have the ultimate "make everybody better" guy in Jokic. Malone is an excellent coach but that team is as talented as any in the league.

The NBA, compared to the other sports, is a star driven league and always will be. If Cade doesn't turn out to be a superstar or at least a top 10-15 player in the league, the Pistons will more than likely never win a Championship. Teams like the '04 Pistons are an extreme exception. It doesn't mean that coaching doesn't play a role of course but it's less important than other sports IMO.

21 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Denver is pretty star laden even outside of Jokic. Murray is a star, Porter is one of the best #3 options in the league, Gordon high level role player, all guys with high draft pedigree.

Yup. 5 guys started 60 games for the Nuggets. All drafted in the 1st 15, except Jokic. 🤔

23 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. 5 guys started 60 games for the Nuggets. All drafted in the 1st 15, except Jokic. 🤔

Killian was drafted in the top ten...so draft position isn't much to go on.  I may have put too much distance between LeBron/Reeves/Davis/Russell and Jokic/Murray et al...but I still think there's more talent on the Laker roster

Edited by Shinzaki

26 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Killian was drafted in the top ten...so draft position isn't much to go on.

was drafted by the *Pistons* in the top ten. That's your difference. I think the Nuggets show two things  - it helps not spend your picks on players like Johnson and Killian :classic_laugh:,  but also that 19 is often too young to get much of a handle on what the guys in the 7 foot class are going to turn into. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1