04/13/2023 7:07pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Toronto Blue Jays

casimir

13 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

It has been 40 years ago, at least. But does anyone remember the details when Sparky pulled Gibson mid inning because he made a mental mistake in the outfield? Seems to me that finally woke Gibby up and he stopped being a total ass (at least on the field) after that.

Hopefully  Javey gets the message. 

If I remember correctly Gibby misplayed a ball and got really pissed off and Sparky pulled him out because of how he reacted.  I seem to remember that he didn't get pulled right away and when they came back in between innings Sparky told him to sit down and calm down or something like that.   KG was not the best OF'er. 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If I remember correctly Gibby misplayed a ball and got really pissed off and Sparky pulled him out because of how he reacted.  I seem to remember that he didn't get pulled right away and when they came back in between innings Sparky told him to sit down and calm down or something like that.   KG was not the best OF'er. 

And he is the 1st to admit it. On the plus side, he could flat out run a lot of fly balls -  but he couldn't go back to save his life. Used to play almost at the fence when he wasn't in center.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's trying to win the game every AB.    He's not just taking a deep breath and focusing. 

Anyone have video of the Javy incidents?     Maybe he needs glasses. 

maybe he thought there were 2 outs rather than he didn't see the ball, but who knows?

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Absolutely... it's one thing when the talent level isn't good, its another when players just aren't focusing. Gotta out the foot down

So, it’s interesting to me that the camera crews happened to catch Schoop stretching out in the dugout after this blunder.  Was it just a coincidence?  Good eye on the dugout and noticing a bit of unusual behavior from a bench player really early in the game?

Good on Hinch for drawing a line.  The home run trot out of the box might have limited the hit from a triple to a double (it was a weird ricochet off of the wall, so maybe it was only going to be a double anyway).  But to be doubled off on a routine fly ball like that.

I don’t think Baez is the true culprit of all the Tiger issues.  He’s not lived up to the contract, sure.  But I think a message needs to be sent to the entire team, and one way to do that is through one of its better players.  The entire team need to pull its head out of its rump.  If Hinch didn’t have their attention before, he’s got it now.  Maybe they’ll still be out talented most nights, but damn, don’t make it easier for the opposition.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

So, it’s interesting to me that the camera crews happened to catch Schoop stretching out in the dugout after this blunder.  Was it just a coincidence?  Good eye on the dugout and noticing a bit of unusual behavior from a bench player really early in the game?

Good on Hinch for drawing a line.  The home run trot out of the box might have limited the hit from a triple to a double (it was a weird ricochet off of the wall, so maybe it was only going to be a double anyway).  But to be doubled off on a routine fly ball like that.

I don’t think Baez is the true culprit of all the Tiger issues.  He’s not lived up to the contract, sure.  But I think a message needs to be sent to the entire team, and one way to do that is through one of its better players.  The entire team need to pull its head out of its rump.  If Hinch didn’t have their attention before, he’s got it now.  Maybe they’ll still be out talented most nights, but damn, don’t make it easier for the opposition.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the players are bit looser without Baez 🤔

• Like 1