Lions vs Bengals - 10/17/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The initial post was that she should have fired Quinn prior to the 2020 draft. She was not in charge at that time. 

I'll put it this way - If my name was going to be official on the papers 5 weeks after the draft, I'd damn well want the input into what was going to happen in that draft. So to me - official or not, it marks Sheila as probably not up to the job. That is based on the fact that most often, the paper work takes weeks - possibly months - to be complete after conditions on the ground have changed. Your YMMV may vary on that view.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'll put it this way - If my name was going to be official on the papers 5 weeks after the draft, I'd damn well want the input into what was going to happen in that draft. So to me - official or not, it marks Sheila as probably not up to the job.

Seems a little ridiculous to assume someone is not up to the job based on the timing of firing management before she had actual authority to do so and then assume everything done afterwards means nothing. 

I think the parties involved knew Sheila was taking over well before she took over.  She certainly could have told her mom to make the move.   That year is costing them right now.       I don't think Patricia should have gotten a 2nd year, much less a 3rd.   It was pretty clear the atmosphere was poisonous pretty early.  

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think the parties involved knew Sheila was taking over well before she took over.  She certainly could have told her mom to make the move.   That year is costing them right now.       I don't think Patricia should have gotten a 2nd year, much less a 3rd.   It was pretty clear the atmosphere was poisonous pretty early.  

correct. If she had been doing what she needed to be doing to get up to speed to be an NFL owner while mom was grooming her to take over I would have expected QuinTricia to be gone long before mom handed over the keys to the executive washroom. She wasn't a new hire off the street.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Loved the effort today combined with the Jags win.  This is setting up very nicely for the Lions.   The most disappointing part of the weekend was Liberty losing to a 32 point underdog and Willis throwing 3 more Ints.  That was more concerning to me than anything Goff did today.    

On the subject of Goff, he’s a total stiff and shame on anyone for thinking they were smarter at evaluating QB talent than Sean McVey.  He knew exactly what he had and he passed his trash onto Holmes.    Brad should’ve know better.    The only thing Goff does well is cash paychecks and he’s all-pro at doing that.   

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Loved the effort today combined with the Jags win.  This is setting up very nicely for the Lions.   The most disappointing part of the weekend was Liberty losing to a 32 point underdog and Willis throwing 3 more Ints.  That was more concerning to me than anything Goff did today.    

On the subject of Goff, he’s a total stiff and shame on anyone for thinking they were smarter at evaluating QB talent than Sean McVey.  He knew exactly what he had and he passed his trash onto Holmes.    Brad should’ve know better.    The only thing Goff does well is cash paychecks and he’s all-pro at doing that.   

Maybe they knew what he was and they took him anyway to get the deal with the picks. A football team with no talent doesn't have a lot of good options.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Except Tua was considered the top QB and it would have been more likely Tua was drafted. If they did draft a QB and trade Stafford, they would have gotten a lot worse return. There is also no way of assuming that Sheila firing Quinn would have led to the Lions drafting a QB most people had 2nd. 

They probably wouldn't have moved Stafford before the 2020 season anyway because of the killer cap hit. But they could have moved him in 2021 without having to play Goff.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe they knew what he was and they took him anyway to get the deal with the picks. A football team with no talent doesn't have a lot of good options.

They renegotiated him though which added $15m in dead cap if they cut him this off-season.   I don’t think they do that unless they really had some thoughts that he could become their long term starter.   I’m not sure this guy is even a good clipboard holding backup for a good team.   This may be his last stop in the league. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

They renegotiated him though which added $15m in dead cap if they cut him this off-season.   I don’t think they do that unless they really had some thoughts that he could become their long term starter.   I’m not sure this guy is even a good clipboard holding backup for a good team.   This may be his last stop in the league. 

So you are saying we hired another FO that can't evaluate talent?   

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Except Tua was considered the top QB and it would have been more likely Tua was drafted. If they did draft a QB and trade Stafford, they would have gotten a lot worse return. There is also no way of assuming that Sheila firing Quinn would have led to the Lions drafting a QB most people had 2nd. 

If the Lions had taken Justin Herbert, they'd have broken him by now.