Lions vs Bengals - 10/17/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So you are saying we hired another FO that can't evaluate talent?   

Too early to tell.  I like this draft class and I like quite a few of the FA signings.    Not a fan of the Goff move.   He sucks and the 2 picks are nice but not nearly as valuable at the bottom of the 1st round as they appeared to be over the summer.  

Edited by Hongbit

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because they don't take Goff and the Rams were the only team offering two first round picks. 

meh - you are still going to trade him and get a market return - maybe you take some other contract instead of Goffs if you need a sweetener. Your options are still better if you have Stafford's replacement and so don't need to shop for a QB while you are negotiating to move Matthew. Fewer constraints is always good. Whether a new regime make Miami's mistake is an unknown - that's granted.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

If the Bengals can kick a field goal (37-11) or score a touchdown (41-11) and that’s it, we’d have a scorigami.

That's what we're left with Frank Zappa (or Jason Schwartzman from Fargo),  rooting for Scorigami.     I have to admit, i checked too and was very disappointed.     

Plus I didn't use my displeasure with the Lions to motivate me to cut my grass.  Now it's getting too dark to do it.    

Look what these bastards have done to me.  

Awake, Awake, English Nobility
Let not sloth dim your horrors new-begot.   

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

I saw Cam Newton got vaccinated.  He’s washed up but would be infinitely better than David Blough if you’re set on making a change looking for a spark.

Cam and Golden Tate? Lead us into the playoffs?  😀😀 Can you imagine if this coaching had talent to work with? It might be fun.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Loved the effort today combined with the Jags win.  This is setting up very nicely for the Lions.   The most disappointing part of the weekend was Liberty losing to a 32 point underdog and Willis throwing 3 more Ints.  That was more concerning to me than anything Goff did today.    

On the subject of Goff, he’s a total stiff and shame on anyone for thinking they were smarter at evaluating QB talent than Sean McVey.  He knew exactly what he had and he passed his trash onto Holmes.    Brad should’ve know better.    The only thing Goff does well is cash paychecks and he’s all-pro at doing that.   

But is Holmes the one who drafted Goff 1-1? That would scare me a bit.

... The most disappointing part of the weekend was Liberty losing to a 32 point underdog and Willis throwing 3 more Int's. That was more concerning...

Leads me to believe we're picking a QB in 2023, not 2022.

Defense-WR-defense-defense-defense-defense. Maybe a late-round flyer on another WR or TE...

... On the subject of Goff, he’s a total stiff and shame on anyone for thinking they were smarter at evaluating QB talent than Sean McVey.  He knew exactly what he had and he passed his trash onto Holmes. Brad should’ve known better...

This makes me less optimistic about our current regime.

Hopefully this is a one-off tied to getting a team reset with the Stafford trade.

Except, weren't we offered a better draft-picks trade though? And Holmes & Co. chose the LAR package because of Goff?

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am really questing Taylor Decker at this point. I thought when football players injured fingers they taped them to other fingers, wrapped up their hands and played. Trade deadline is in a couple of weeks. Get rid of him for draft picks.   

Not unless it's an overpay...

Which I wouldn't discount...

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Defense-WR-defense-defense-defense-defense. Maybe a late-round flyer on another WR or TE...

Hopefully this is a one-off tied to getting a team reset with the Stafford trade.

Except, weren't we offered a better draft-picks trade though? And Holmes & Co. chose the LAR package because of Goff?

The rumored Carolina offer was arguably better but it’s also rumored that Stafford vetoed it.

Edited by sagnam

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Too early to tell.  I like this draft class and I like quite a few of the FA signings.    Not a fan of the Goff move.   He sucks and the 2 picks are nice but not nearly as valuable at the bottom of the 1st round as they appeared to be over the summer.  

the picks were always going to be close to the bottom if round one.  they're still pretty valuable.

but to make the trade they had to take goff.  look, the lions are tanking on purpose, goff is the PERFECT qb for that.  this year and next.  

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No, they weren't. No team was offering multiple 1sts. The best offer outside of the Rams was Carolina's 8th. Chicago had serious interest but not known what they offered. 

and holmes was on the staff that traded multiple picks for jared goff.  more ominously, he was also on the staff that picked greg robinson #2.  but no one knows what input he had there.

other than sewell, the lions draft picks have looked pretty good so far to my untrained eye.  and sewell has had him moments too.  it hasnt all been bad.  

and - as campbell pointed out today - the oline isnt being helped by goff not getting the ball out and dropping too deep in the pocket.  goff is playing scared and its killing them.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

other than sewell, the lions draft picks have looked pretty

It pretty unusual for a lineman as young as Sewell to be starting in the NFL. Most NFL linemen were reshirt 5th yr college seniors who are 24 or so as NFL rookies and even then take a year or two to peak. That he is even staying in the game at his age is a probably a sign he will be pretty good after 4 years or so of increasing core strength.

21 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes, he has traded for Goff twice. This is a red flag. 

He had to trade for Goff the second time in order to make the salary work for the Rams. I would think Holmes, Dorsey, and Agnew can look at Goff and see he isn't the guy long-term. Holmes may have really loved Goff at one time or maybe it was Les Snead. But John Dorsey has no connection to Goff at all and thus I would assume, little to no loyalty to the guy. If Dorsey is a strong voice in the room, I can't imagine given that he's drafted QB replacements before, he would be all in for Goff.