Lions vs Bengals - 10/17/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

I can't remember if it was 2 possessions or 2 Tds but I saw a tweet yesterday that said that in every game this year at some point the Lions have trailed by that much.  So for all the talk of them being better than their record its not like they've been competing from start to finish of these games. 

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He had to trade for Goff the second time in order to make the salary work for the Rams. I would think Holmes, Dorsey, and Agnew can look at Goff and see he isn't the guy long-term. Holmes may have really loved Goff at one time or maybe it was Les Snead. But John Dorsey has no connection to Goff at all and thus I would assume, little to no loyalty to the guy. If Dorsey is a strong voice in the room, I can't imagine given that he's drafted QB replacements before, he would be all in for Goff.

It is possible that Holmes never meant anything he said about Goff after the trade. 

Report: Detroit Lions have had trade discussions for a wide receiver

Not a terrible idea.  It says something when losing Quintez Cephus guts your production.  Also didn’t know Campbell is taking this approach.

“He’s trying to make a throw with guys that are MA-ing (Missed Assignments), and so he can’t even trust where the hell they’re supposed to be at,” Campbell said. “So I’m with you. I don’t mean to get upset. Look, he’s got to make some throws and then our receivers have to be where they’re supposed to be when they’re supposed to be there.”

12 hours ago, sagnam said:

Report: Detroit Lions have had trade discussions for a wide receiver

Not a terrible idea.  It says something when losing Quintez Cephus guts your production.  Also didn’t know Campbell is taking this approach.

“He’s trying to make a throw with guys that are MA-ing (Missed Assignments), and so he can’t even trust where the hell they’re supposed to be at,” Campbell said. “So I’m with you. I don’t mean to get upset. Look, he’s got to make some throws and then our receivers have to be where they’re supposed to be when they’re supposed to be there.”

they already traded assets for benson and have benched him.  why give up more assets for the lost cause of this season?

no thanks.

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

they already traded assets for benson and have benched him.  why give up more assets for the lost cause of this season?

no thanks.

Because the players care maybe?  I don't know.  Trading a 6th for the receiver version of Stephon Gilmore isn't a terrible waste.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

no thanks.

This team is garbage and the front office/coaching staff should just accept that and keep the assets they have. Trading a draft pick for another mediocre or bum WR is going to do nothing this year and would be a stupid decision. This years' team is a lost cause and is not worth salvaging. Pile of the draft assets and stay focused on the future.

• Thanks 1

The only reason I see trading for a WR is not necessarily to try to salvage this year but to give Goff somebody outside of Hock to throw to.

While I personally don't think it will make a difference either way management may want to see if Goff performs better if he has a better supporting cast or if he truly is a broken lost cause. 

I don't think there's a whole lot left to see of Goff...

However... I wouldn't be opposed to an additional WR if the guy can actually (a) get open, (b) make catches and (c) stay healthy. Just to... keep this team's head above water so they don't all feel like they are drowning... A morale issue as much as a talent issue...

Edited by 1984Echoes

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The only reason I see trading for a WR is not necessarily to try to salvage this year but to give Goff somebody outside of Hock to throw to.

While I personally don't think it will make a difference either way management may want to see if Goff performs better if he has a better supporting cast or if he truly is a broken lost cause. 

i'm pretty sure management has seen all they need to see from jared goff.  he's not a good nfl qb and hasnt been one for a long time.  he was propped up in LA by a great offensive coach, a good nfl line, and todd gurley in his mvp caliber prime.  as soon as gurley regressed, goff went from serviceable to bad.

now he's been placed in an awful position. he's bad and he doesnt have any weapons around him to be the best he could be, which is "average."

trading assets to bring in a middling receiver that another team doesnt want would be dumb for a team going nowhere who needs all the future assets it can get.  the benson trade was bad enough, lets not double down on that mistake.

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Some good news to come out of last week. It appears Sewell is still performing well. Ive only watched maybe 10 minutes of Lions football total since the Tucker kick so I wasn't really sure how he has looked lately.

They are moving him back to RT when Decker returns specifically so he can be a garbage fire like he was in the preseason. I would like to see him stay at LT and them move Decker to RT or trade Decker for a 1st.

It doesn't bother me to have Sewell on the Right side for one season... especially since he's already played several games on the Left and now knows what it will take to master the Left side. He has work to do.

Next season, I agree. I think he'll do heavy work in the offseason, come prepared to take over on the Left side, and at that point Decker can be pushed over to the Right... 

I'm not averse to trading Decker but... (1) I think that's next season, not this season, (2) I want a damn good package for him, I am not interested in a garbage offer so either we get a 1st + other picks (4th? a 2024 or 2025 pick? Whatever... just not interested in a below market trade for a valuable asset) and... (3) There needs to be a replacement nearly as good as a Decker RT. And we've whiffed there several times. Another draft pick? Sure... But I don't want Roque or McDougle, it needs to be at least a Cherilus or Reiff or, even better, a Tyron Smith.

You could add in a Larry Warford too...

10 hours ago, buddha said:

no one is trading a 1st round pick for decker.

if they were offered a first for him, they should jump on it.

Leremy Tunsil got two 1sts back in a trade, why couldn't Decker at least net us one? LT is one of the most important positions and people pay a premium for good ones. Decker is still young enough and I think good enough to warrant asking for a 1st or 1st plus.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Leremy Tunsil got two 1sts back in a trade, why couldn't Decker at least net us one? LT is one of the most important positions and people pay a premium for good ones. Decker is still young enough and I think good enough to warrant asking for a 1st or 1st plus.

true, hopefully bill o'brien becomes some team's gm soon.  you never know.

• Like 1

I want to see this finger................I want to know how bad it is, because I've never heard of an offensive lineman missing a season or most of it because of a finger.     A D-lineman blew his fingers off with firecrackers........he played half of that year.  And D-lineman needs fingers more than an o-lineman does,  well maybe not with all the holding TD does. 

He's definitely proving me wrong, I thought he was on the fast track to mediocrity when we traded him a season and a half ago but he's still playing at an elite level.

I guess playing for the Lions and more importantly Matt Patricia will suck the life out of you as a player and make you lose your will to even try to be at your best. 

23 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I want to see this finger................I want to know how bad it is, because I've never heard of an offensive lineman missing a season or most of it because of a finger.     A D-lineman blew his fingers off with firecrackers........he played half of that year.  And D-lineman needs fingers more than an o-lineman does,  well maybe not with all the holding TD does. 

I heard a few minutes of Valenti yesterday and he was going nutz (in a fairly amusing way) about this, couldn't come up with anything other than that they are holding him out because they are trying to trade him.

Another theory I can think of being that with his replacement already on the roster playing LT, Decker wants to be traded while he is still considered a starting LT because it improves his future income potential.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I heard a few minutes of Valenti yesterday and he was going nutz (in a fairly amusing way) about this, couldn't come up with anything other than that they are holding him out because they are trying to trade him.

Another theory I can think of being that with his replacement already on the roster playing LT, Decker wants to be traded while he is still considered a starting LT because it improves his future income potential.

He's already getting paid the LT money.  He's a selfish player, get rid of him (of course that is not a punishment with this team).   

I wonder how much is on Decker and how much is on the team.

I don't know what exactly Decker's finger injury is but I've had what is known as "mallet finger" before and I had to wear a splint on my finger for 10 weeks. No it didnt hurt and I could do day to day tasks with it but I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to compete at the highest level against the best competition.

If you're the Lions you have to ask yourself is it worth possibly exposing him and lowering his worth just to play in meaningless games? Or have him possibly injure something else or pick up bad habits trying to compensate for the injury?