04/19/2023 1:10 pm EDT Cleveland Guardians vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Whoa Vierling getting the CF start, is that the first one of the season there for him? If he can handle himself there that will be a pleasant surprise.

I believe he has the athleticism to handle any outfield position, so I don't think CF would be any more difficult than a corner for him.  His fielding ability, in general, seems to be the question.  I have not been watching on a regular basis and am just going off reputation.    

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I believe he has the athleticism to handle any outfield position, so I don't think CF would be any more difficult than a corner for him.  His fielding ability, in general, seems to be the question.  I have not been watching on a regular basis and am just going off reputation.    

While one play is not indicative of anything he does currently have the best catch of the year according to statcast. 

8 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

While one play is not indicative of anything he does currently have the best catch of the year according to statcast. 

That's cool, but taking nothing away from the play being as good as it was, I don't know how one would rate that better than Kiermiers catch against Vierling. I would consider most things with a leap as tougher catches than a dive. A lot more to worry about and alot easier to get the timing wrong. Maybe not as much ground covered but that's not the only thing that lowers catch probability.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's cool, but taking nothing away from the play being as good as it was, I don't know how one would rate that better than Kiermiers catch against Vierling. I would consider most things with a leap as tougher catches than a dive. A lot more to worry about and alot easier to get the timing wrong. Maybe not as much ground covered but that's not the only thing that lowers catch probability.

Sinking line drive, 95 MPH off the bat, xBA of 0.930. All at a very crucial part of the game where f'ing it up would have resulted in at least two additional runs.

It's pretty impressive to me.... as much as we complain about his jumps and his reads on balls, he nailed it with this one, otherwise I don't think he makes the catch.

Edited by mtutiger