04/24/2023 7:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Milwaukee Brewers

casimir

Well, hate to agree with Lynn, but Jose is 40 now.   He made it.    This would be an excellent time for the team and Miguel to come to an agreement - that back looks awfully sore, you might need to rest it for 4 months or so.      I really want to see Malloy at the top of the lineup.   Miggy is the one blocking him.     A mild "sprain" would help both Miggy and the Tigers.  

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, hate to agree with Lynn, but Jose is 40 now.   He made it.    This would be an excellent time for the team and Miguel to come to an agreement - that back looks awfully sore, you might need to rest it for 4 months or so.      I really want to see Malloy at the top of the lineup.   Miggy is the one blocking him.     A mild "sprain" would help both Miggy and the Tigers.  

Miggy is not blocking him—no way that Hinch calls up a prospect and sticks him at DH.  It’s more likely that Nevin is blocking him.

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Miggy is not blocking him—no way that Hinch calls up a prospect and sticks him at DH.  It’s more likely that Nevin is blocking him.

Yes I think that Nevin and Schoop are blocking Malloy, and that's OK with me for now.  I'd leave him in Toledo for a while yet.  I want him playing third base every day, and not be part of the committee at third base in Detroit.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Jake Rogers has 38 PAs in 21 games.  That's not acceptable, he should be up around 60 by now.  He is leading the team in OPS and is the better defender at his position.  He isn't a young kid, this is his prime.  Play him.

Hinch is playing Solomon, going into tonight's game each has started exactly 10 games at catcher. Haase's additional AB have come in the OF. Both have faced RH/LH pitching in a 3:1 ratio. If you can tell me why that's optimum managing when one guy's OPS against pitching from both sides is 200 points higher than the other and he plays better defense, then you can be honorary AJ for a week.

13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I disagree.  Nevin can play defense adequately.      From the numbers JH Malloy can't play third or left very well.  So if he was to be called up it would be as a DH.       They are pretty desperate for an on-base person,  whether or not he plays the field doesn't really matter right now.     Watching Miggy is sad.    Hate to see him go out like this. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hinch is playing Solomon, going into tonight's game each has started exactly 10 games at catcher. Haase's additional AB have come in the OF. Both have faced RH/LH pitching in a 3:1 ratio. If you can tell me why that's optimum managing when one guy's OPS against pitching from both sides is 200 points higher than the other and he plays better defense, then you can be honorary AJ for a week.

He could be protecting Rogers' arm by limiting his playing time early in the year.  

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I disagree.  Nevin can play defense adequately.      From the numbers JH Malloy can't play third or left very well.  So if he was to be called up it would be as a DH.       They are pretty desperate for an on-base person,  whether or not he plays the field doesn't really matter right now.     Watching Miggy is sad.    Hate to see him go out like this. 

The questions about defense, IMO, are a good argument to keep Malloy down for the time being. Because it's a double edged sword: while his offensive production at AAA is tantalizing, he alone will not fix the Tigers offense. And so long as the Tigers offense is struggling, the Tigers will need to pitch and play good defense in order to put wins in the win column.

I don't know that he's far off, but Malloy is way too young to be penciling into a DH spot....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Maton bunt single. Three run bomb. Strike out looking at a fastball down the middle. Pinch hit for. Seems about right for how this season has gone.

It was an ugly bunt attempt, but it worked.  So good on him for taking advantage of the opportunity.

And when is the last time a cleanup hitter bunted?  We may have been watching history there.

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He could be protecting Rogers' arm by limiting his playing time early in the year.  

This is a pretty good point.  Even if his wing is 100% healthy, is it ready to endure catching 2 out of 3 games per week at this point?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe, but I think it's more likely they are hoping to get 2021 Haase with the 950 OPS against LHP pitching to reappear, but given the overall arc of his career, I think it's pretty likely that '21 was his outlier and the Tigers are chasing a phantom. The problem for Hinch is that since Jake also has a postive split against LHP (already 3 for 9 with 2HR so far) you can't just give all the LHP starts to Haase either.

I'd call it another example of the Tigers letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Sort of like all those ABs given to Willie Castro because they were so sure a better player was 'in there somewhere.' They always seem to have a reason to not play their best team - and I suppose it starts with Cabrera -- and that paradigm contaminates everything else they do.

6 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't think they really believe Jake Rogers is anything other than a .220 hitter and they are afraid if he plays too much he will tire out and show his true colors.

Probably also true, but given both their histories their really isn't sufficient evidence to be guided by anything other than what they are actually doing on the field and it seems silly not to take advantage of that fact that Rogers is playing well now even if he does fade. It not a matter of benching Haase, it's just a JC notes - there is no reason for Haase to have  *more* AB than Jake so far. Especially after watching them play Barnhart for his D for more of last season than could be justified by any rational analysis.

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't think they really believe Jake Rogers is anything other than a .220 hitter and they are afraid if he plays too much he will tire out and show his true colors.

I believe that he is a .240 hitter who, in 140 games, hits 24 home runs, which makes him the best #8 hitter in the league.