04/30/2023 1:40 pm EDT Baltimore Orioles vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

We're going on 6 years since Verlander left and almost 10 since Max left so them returning to pitch here doesnt have the same cache as it wouldve before.

Reminds me of when Grant Hill left the Pistons, everybody was anxious to see his return to the Palace but he was injured for like the next 3 years so by the time he finally made his return fans had already moved on and didnt really give a crap. 

Cabrera still has pull because he never left, but I would imagine that a lot of fans just want to leave the past in the past and try to progress the current iteration of the Tigers.

JP Morosi trying to hype up their return is the most JP Morosi thing ever.... just don't see it landing with most of the fanbase. 

Edited by mtutiger

Depending on the weather I think JVs start may draw marginally more fans over the norm but nothing Earth shattering.

I mean I would love to see a big crowd give him a warm welcome but I just don't see it either. If this was 2018 or 19 maybe but not this far removed. 

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Have you been seeing the attendance in the stands? The Tigers may have some fever dream that fans are coming to see Cabrera, but the empty seats say that a dream is all it is.

So, when I am told that Cabrera has to play because fans want to see him, it's just BS?  

the weather is going to be ****ty.  They are school nights.  Games start at 6:40.... I don't think those starts will have any impact on sales.  I have tickets tomorrow and could exchange some for Wed and I don't feel like doing it b/c of the weather.  I'm over watching crappy teams in crappy weather.  I can go to more games in the summer when it's nice out.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So, when I am told that Cabrera has to play because fans want to see him, it's just BS?  

Sure it is.  I still don't understand how anyone is going to buy a ticket in advance to see (the shell of) Cabrera play when he doesn't play everyday.  How does one make plans around that little variable?

But just to be fair, let's see what attendance is in the summer vs last summer.  When kids are out of school and families are more apt to head to the ballpark.  Many of those kids will be young enough to have only known the past several years Cabrera rather than the Cabrera that fans want to remember.

I think maybe MAYBE Cabrera may have an effect on tickets at the end of the season assuming he is still playing then. Like maybe folks want to go down to see his farewell games but even then I doubt it would be a big number like his milestone chase produced.

Regarding Miggy and sales. It’s not a direct correlation but a tool to promote the team. Like Coke advertising. Everyone know it’s there. Nobody sees a ad and runs to the store.  Keep the brand out there so that people are encouraged to go even if he’s not the precise reason.  By constantly seeing the ads a family might decide to book a game this summer instead of doing something else.  And when they do announce a final game if it’s before the end I bet we see an increase.  I just checked for 4 on Oct 1.  Got 89 results. Checked Sep 12 and had 186 results. So I think that’s some evidence 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Regarding Miggy and sales. It’s not a direct correlation but a tool to promote the team. Like Coke advertising. Everyone know it’s there. Nobody sees a ad and runs to the store.  Keep the brand out there so that people are encouraged to go even if he’s not the precise reason.  By constantly seeing the ads a family might decide to book a game this summer instead of doing something else.  And when they do announce a final game if it’s before the end I bet we see an increase.  I just checked for 4 on Oct 1.  Got 89 results. Checked Sep 12 and had 186 results. So I think that’s some evidence 

Granting this, I would still wager that that the additional wins that a bona fide MLB DH and his run produciton would add would be worth more fannies in the seats than this marketing of the shell of Miguel.

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Another thing to consider is just how awful Miggy looks, I mean who wants to go see their favorite player looking like that? If he wouldve turned back the clock like Pujols did then maybe his farewell tour would draw more people. 

It was just a brief moment, but Thursday night when he came up with the bases loaded and struck out, the camera caught him walking back to the dugout and, just the combination of result plus lack of attendence plus age on Miggy just seemed sort of pitiful in that moment. 

I just wonder if things don't get better if he just goes on the 60 Day IL and finishes his tour of the league on the bench. I have a hard time seeing this thing go all season if the production is as bad as it has been during April, something may give.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Depending on the weather I think JVs start may draw marginally more fans over the norm but nothing Earth shattering.

I mean I would love to see a big crowd give him a warm welcome but I just don't see it either. If this was 2018 or 19 maybe but not this far removed. 

My son's school has a field trip planned to Comerica on Thursday.

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If Cabrera is playing for marketing reasons, then I would imagine fans are also excited about seeing Verlander and Scherzer.  Most fans are a lot different from people here.  Personally, I still like seeing Verlander and Scherzer, but wouldn't enjoy seeing them beat the Tigers.    

I would love to see history...back to back no-hitters. But JV will be lucky to get thru 6 innings in his first start of the season.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Granting this, I would still wager that that the additional wins that a bona fide MLB DH and his run produciton would add would be worth more fannies in the seats than this marketing of the shell of Miguel.

Of course having a bonafide 1B would help, too.  And a CF.  And a 2B.  And a SS.  3B, too.

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It was just a brief moment, but Thursday night when he came up with the bases loaded and struck out, the camera caught him walking back to the dugout and, just the combination of result plus lack of attendence plus age on Miggy just seemed sort of pitiful in that moment. 

I just wonder if things don't get better if he just goes on the 60 Day IL and finishes his tour of the league on the bench. I have a hard time seeing this thing go all season if the production is as bad as it has been during April, something may give.

This sums it up for me. Pitiful. I hate to see him embarrass himself and it make me both sad and angry. Does he really not care about these numbers ? How do they get better as his knee wears down ?

• AVG
  • HR
    150+
  • RBI
    150+
  • OPS

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Speaking of attendance, i just saw that the Tigers have a higher average home attendance this year than the Tampa Rays.  What a failed franchise they are - off to one of the best starts in MLB history and nobody cares.  

It’s not the franchise that failed, it’s the Fanbase. That in an absolutely abysmal ballpark. Baseball in Florida should work, but it doesn’t. Possibly if the rays had a better park that would be a good thing. I just don’t see it happening anytime soon. They’ll end up moving. I have lived in Florida for 42 years and you just can’t seem to sell major league baseball in this state. 

48 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

This sums it up for me. Pitiful. I hate to see him embarrass himself and it make me both sad and angry. Does he really not care about these numbers ? How do they get better as his knee wears down ?

• AVG
  • HR
    150+
  • RBI
    150+
  • OPS

I think Miggy cares and he's trying.... he's a prideful dude. But on this current trajectory, there's an inflection point coming where being prideful goes from keeping on and not quitting to stepping aside and riding out his farewell tour on the bench.

Only he can answer that question, I just have a hard time seeing him under the Mendoza line with no power and pressing on come July or August. Something's gonna have to give imo.

Edited by mtutiger