05/03/2023 6:40 pm EDT New York Mets vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

More than half of the alerts I've gotten from Tigers Twitter in the past 48 hours are about Scherzer and Verlander. I agree it is a big deal that they're coming back and that JV is making his Mets debut here, but I think it also sucks that it qualifies as the most exciting news of the season surrounding this team, and by a country mile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

More than half of the alerts I've gotten from Tigers Twitter in the past 48 hours are about Scherzer and Verlander. I agree it is a big deal that they're coming back and that JV is making his Mets debut here, but I think it also sucks that it qualifies as the most exciting news of the season surrounding this team, and by a country mile.

It kinda ties into the Miggy conversation where so much of the marketing of this team is backwards looking. Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it feels like as fans we just keep getting clubbed over the head with it over and over again. And it gets old fast.

Granted I know that Greene and Tork haven't been good as big leaguers and there isn't a ton of hope surrounding this team, and maybe I'm the minority here, but I'm more invested in seeing the current players succeed than ruminating on the past. I don't expect it, but I hope they go out and and beat JV and Max, just like I hope they would beat any other random MLB starter.

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It kinda ties into the Miggy conversation where so much of the marketing of this team is backwards looking. Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it feels like as fans we just keep getting clubbed over the head with it over and over again. And it gets old fast.

Granted I know that Greene and Tork haven't been good as big leaguers and there isn't a ton of hope surrounding this team, and maybe I'm the minority here, but I'm more invested in seeing the current players succeed than ruminating on the past. I don't expect it, but I hope they go out and and beat JV and Max, just like I hope they would beat any other random MLB starter.

I'm not a fan of nostalgia for a lot of reasons, although I totally get its appeal. But I think nostalgia is definitely a bad thing when it comes to OBT, because if the team is, as you suggest, steeped in nostalgia, that means by definition there's nothing to recommend the current team, outside of the ... ahem ... inside baseball stuff you and I and the rest of us here are interested in.

I remember thinking what a bad year 2003 was going to be when I saw the commercials in the preseason touting Tram as manager and Gibby and Lance as coaches. Hey fans, come on down to the ballpark, it's 1984 all over again! We know all too well how that turned out ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm not a fan of nostalgia for a lot of reasons, although I totally get its appeal. But I think nostalgia is definitely a bad thing when it comes to OBT, because if the team is, as you suggest, steeped in nostalgia, that means by definition there's nothing to recommend the current team, outside of the ... ahem ... inside baseball stuff you and I and the rest of us here are interested in.

I remember thinking what a bad year 2003 was going to be when I saw the commercials in the preseason touting Tram as manager and Gibby and Lance as coaches. Hey fans, come on down to the ballpark, it's 1984 all over again! We know all too well how that turned out ...

Nostalgia is the crutch this franchise uses to get people to come to games because they can’t or won’t put a competitive team on the field … it’s so frustrating to see, how about make some legends instead of milking the dead horse of 68 and 84 nostalgia 

23 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I agree it’s best to look forward. Let’s beat these chumps. 

Yes.  Win this game.

I don't have any expectations of being over .500 for the year.  But any given game is more of a 50/50 proposition than most folks make it out to be.  Win this game.

And then when this game is completed, win the next game.

40 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Nostalgia is the crutch this franchise uses to get people to come to games because they can’t or won’t put a competitive team on the field … it’s so frustrating to see, how about make some legends instead of milking the dead horse of 68 and 84 nostalgia 

It's not just that but also using other teams players for marketing. To sell tickets. All the poor sports teams do it.

25 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's not just that but also using other teams players for marketing. To sell tickets. All the poor sports teams do it.

You say that, but as bad as the Royals are (ie. legit worse than the Tigers), at least they have Bobby Witt Jr. and Vinnie P. to market.

That's where Greene/Tork struggling comes into play.... it would make it a lot easier for the team to market if they, along with Javy Baez, were making more noise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

"Come on down to Commercial Park to see Bruce Chen flirt with a no-hitter against your Detroit Tigers."

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I think these days, it’s more “can’t” than “won’t”.

In any event, I think the Tiger fan base is more nostalgic than just about any other in baseball except the Cubs fan base. (I know Cubs fans who are still against the lights!) It’s why we have had all these ‘84 Tigers all over the broadcasts for years. And 1984 was thirty-nine years ago! It’s not as though there were 1945 Tigers littering the ‘84 broadcasts.