05/03/2023 6:40 pm EDT New York Mets vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Another series win, that makes 4 out of the last 6 with the 2 losing ones being both against Baltimore. For the season we are 0-4 in series against AL East teams but 5-0 against every other team. 

First real blowout of the year... feels nice!

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

The record was 7 and 13 in that first 20 games, which wasn't too bad considering the schedule.  Since then they are 4 and 4.

They have played a little over .500 ball since their 2-9 start... never saw that coming despite all their issues 

With our offensive explosion today we now finally past the 100 run mark on the season, last team to do it of course but we're trending upward. We're only 1 run behind the Royals who have played 1 more game than us, like a week ago we were like 25 runs behind the 2nd to last team. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Shep: "The Tigers have scored as many runs in 5 innings tonight as they did in 8 innings in the first game." lol Usually when you start out a tidbit like that it leads to something like "as they have scored in the previous 3 games combined" or something like that, not something like scoring 6 runs in 5 innings vs. 6 runs in 8. 

And they give you cash, which is just as good as money.

19 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tigers have improved their team defensively. McKinstry, Vierling, Rogers, Maton are part of it. Baez not throwing the ball in the first row...and Torkelson scooping the ball well.

Something else Harris did really well is fill out the Toledo roster with some 30 year olds.  Jonathan Davis, Andy Ibanez,and Andrew Knapp have all been great additions, creating a winning environment.

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If the White Sux hold on the Tigers will only be 3 games back in the loss column of first place! 

Also tied in the loss column with the Guardians, one of the two teams from the AL Central not used as evidence of the division being terrible.

It's May so standings don't matter much, but it feels nice anyway

I saw the first six innings before I had to go out of pocket, but they were basically the best six innings I’ve seen this team play this year, especially at the plate. It’s nice to get glimmers of the hopeful future like this.

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Tigers have improved their team defensively. McKinstry, Vierling, Rogers, Maton are part of it. Baez not throwing the ball in the first row...and Torkelson scooping the ball well.

Torkelson has been beyond stellar at 1B. Of course you can't play a 1B for his D but it;s just another reason they have to make his bat work because he is an absolute difference maker saving throws.

I remember at one point last season Hinch said there were too many voices in his head. I think the best thing that could happen is if Hinch included himself in that total and they just left him alone completely. He is still too indecisive about what he should swing at. I would tell him to forget all the game planning/scouting/data and go with his natural instincts which seem pretty good when he trusts them. He's basically been taking too many pitches he could/should be hammering.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yeah presumably he got the MLB per diem.

Free admission to both ends of a double header.  Full jersey.  All of the bubble gum he could jam in his grill.  Heck, let's be honest, some of us would pay to do that, and he was paid to do that.

10 hours ago, kdog said:

From that article;

"During Scherzer’s tenure in Detroit from 2010-14, with Verlander as his co-pilot, the Tigers reached the postseason four straight years, which included a World Series appearance in 2012."

Verlander was always the top dog in Detroit. Never a "co-pilot".

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Something else Harris did really well is fill out the Toledo roster with some 30 year olds.  Jonathan Davis, Andy Ibanez,and Andrew Knapp have all been great additions, creating a winning environment.

IMHO, there is something to be said about that. Also, they can help in a pinch at the MLB level - while still emphasizing most of the 'process' on the younger players and development. Let's face NO team has all 26 roster spots filled with 20-27 yr olds (MLB is not AA ball) and you can bet the expected winning teams have quite a few 30+ yr olds.

I do get it of course, that we are developing and a process is taking place - but this is an MLB team, hence an MLB payroll and fans are paying MLB prices to view in whatever venues of choice.

That and you never know when an injury takes place, and someone may ask about a player (or even help out here) to potentially get a lottery A ball type. ex Trayce Thompson of last year (yes, I know that transaction was cash).

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

From that article;

"During Scherzer’s tenure in Detroit from 2010-14, with Verlander as his co-pilot, the Tigers reached the postseason four straight years, which included a World Series appearance in 2012."

Leyland: " you guys are gonna be co-pilots"

Verlander: "so Pilot and Co-Pilot?"

Leyland: "No Co Pilot and Co- Pilot"

Verlander: "That maybe confusing to the guys cause they look at me as their Pilot."

Leyland: "Max will run the day to day things while Justin you focus on big picture stuff."(starting opening days and Game 1 of playoff series)

Yeah this doesn't make sense to people that don't get the reference from The Office but anytime I see something with Co infront of it I think of that scene with Michael,  Jim and Wallace.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

From that article;

That's why Max wanted out. In retrospect it can't be denied it was a managerial fail for Leyland. Maybe there was no way the two could ever keep pitching together, but Leyland's approach to Max was basically "Shut up and be second fiddle." which was a sure fire way to help make sure Max didn't want to stay.

Edited by gehringer_2

What's funny is Max didn't want to be second fiddle but then he went to Washington with Strasburg who was the most hyped pitching prospect in eons and after getting hurt early in his career he bounced back and was coming off 2 really good seasons when Max got there.

If Strasburg kept up that projection it's very likely Max wouldve been second fiddle there too since Stras was the home grown guy and was so hyped up. 

TORK! is pretty decent at scooping throws, which is a big part of first base defense, but it's not the only part. When it comes to batted balls, he has poor range and poor reaction times. The Vogelbach double yesterday is a good example of that. And while he has improved on popups in his area, they can still be a bit of an adventure for him, plus he has a bit of a noodle for an arm, even for a first baseman. Fortunately, relatively speaking, first base is the one position on the diamond you can hide a poor defender as long as he has a good bat. We just have to get him a new bat, is all. 😁