Investing

Motown Bombers

I'm actually considering going back to an iphone after 10 years with Samsung phones.   For me the issue has nothing to do with being a non-tech boomer (I'm a data scientist).   For me it's all about Facebook.   Multiple samsung phones I've had recently, including my current one, do not allow me to uninstall facebook, it only allows me to "disable" facebook.    Meanwhile apple is in a huge battle with facebook and I love them for it

There are other places to go for a facebook-less android, but I'm thinking I'm just ready for a change.  There have been some apple-only apps I've really wanted to get as well for collaborative purposes. 

There are probably ways to root out facebook from the samsung os.... hmmmmm...... 

Edited by pfife

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

re apple vs iphone for techiness, I offer the hammer of logic

android = open source

ios = not open source

where you going if you're a nerd that wants to kneecap your phones OS?

Sure, Android = FOSS at some level, but not the implementation on your android phone, which has been pretty well doctored up by the distrib, right? I mean IF you wanted to take the time to jail break your android phone you probably could kill facebook on it, but how much time is it worth to you if someone in Cupertino is willing to do it for you?

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sure, Android = FOSS at some level, but not the implementation on your android phone, which has been pretty well doctored up by the distrib, right? I mean IF you wanted to take the time to jail break your android phone you probably could kill facebook on it, but how much time is it worth to you if someone in Cupertino is willing to do it for you?

Samsung definitely adds to the Android operating system.   Many things that are duplicative between Samsung and Android.    Walt used to rant on here about how Samsung did that

Your calculus is my calculus with the dudes in Cupertino.    The other part is that you can't unroot the phone which drastically reduces resale value in my past experience.   If it's been rooted it categorically consider vulnerable by many folks.

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

It is not a privilege to operate a business in a society.  It is a matter of profit and loss.  If you don't make enough money, you go out of business.

Wrong.  It is a privilege.  You were possibly clever enough to have been born in English speaking North America, I know that I was.  And if I have to pay minimum wage in order to make a profit, I don't deserve to be out there.  Your post describes the race to the bottom, it isn't good enough.  "Equitable distribution of Rewards" is one of the socioeconomic goals listed in the first chapter of Micro.

27 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Wrong.  It is a privilege.  You were possibly clever enough to have been born in English speaking North America, I know that I was.  And if I have to pay minimum wage in order to make a profit, I don't deserve to be out there.  Your post describes the race to the bottom, it isn't good enough.  "Equitable distribution of Rewards" is one of the socioeconomic goals listed in the first chapter of Micro.

"Market economy" is just range of idealizations of a whole universe of economic activity. Like any intellectual construct, never fully maps reality - it captures some of it, and misses some of it. 

The consumer staples sector fund (VDC) got crushed yesterday, more than 6% loss.  I started investing in that fund in Februrary because consumer staples as a group tend not to have big highs and lows.  It had been working great up until yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The consumer staples sector fund (VDC) got crushed yesterday, more than 6% loss.  I started investing in that fund in Februrary because consumer staples as a group tend not to have big highs and lows.  It had been working great up until yesterday. 

If you have stocks that survive a correction at a 6% loss count yourself lucky.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The last two years have been wonderful not having a penny in the market. But it is even better not having anything in it as it is melting down.

As a bususinessman, I imagine it is frustrating to invest in something over which you have no control.

For me, I know I have made a lot more money in the market than I would otherwise.  However the lows feel much more impactful than the highs.  I never feel really comfortable.  

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

As a bususinessman, I imagine it is frustrating to invest in something over which you have no control.

For me, I know I have made a lot more money in the market than I would otherwise.  However the lows feel much more impactful than the highs.  I never feel really comfortable.  

Definitely part of it for sure.  I also like that things stay local.  

On 5/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, pfife said:

re apple vs iphone for techiness, I offer the hammer of logic

android = open source

ios = not open source

where you going if you're a nerd that wants to kneecap your phones OS?

In my team of Network Engineers, i'm the only one that continues to stay with an iphone.  Everyone on my team is confused that I choose to stay with the iphone.  I wouldn't be a NetEng if I didn't enjoy tinkering and playing with tech, but there is also a point where I just want something to work with as little input as I can put into it.  

7 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

In my team of Network Engineers, i'm the only one that continues to stay with an iphone.  Everyone on my team is confused that I choose to stay with the iphone.  I wouldn't be a NetEng if I didn't enjoy tinkering and playing with tech, but there is also a point where I just want something to work with as little input as I can put into it.  

Good friend just retired from a position as a long time network manager for a major IT firm. iPhone guy all the way.

• Like 1

A few blurbs from the weekend WSJ…

“The futures market is pricing S&P dividends per share at $64.55 per share this year, but only $60.60 in 2023., implying a drop of 6%, according to Goldman Sachs.”

Same article…

“Eight of the past rate-hike cycles ended eventually in recessions, Deutschmark data show.”

Same article…

”None of the data we track, even leading indicators that look forward, are indicating that recession is on the horizon,” said Cliff Hodge, chief investment officer at Cornerstone Wealth.

Same article…

…”The analysts added that the S&P 500 is edging closer to the typical decline of about 24% seen in recessions dating back to 1946, and the current sell off, at more than 90 trading sessions, has extended well beyond the typical downturn not associated with a contraction.”

So there you go, it’s anybody’s guess where this one ends up. I thought the futures market projecting S&P dividends was interesting. 

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The NASDAQ might as well be a punching bag at this point.  Down about 1.5% right out of the gate.  Down 3% a half hour into the day.

From its 2021 peak in the 4th quarter of last year, the NASDAQ is down a shade over 30%. P/E’s matter again. 

This is how the S&P traded around the Fed release.  The red ellipse is the action at 2 when the release hits. I get a kick out of that stuff.

spx525.thumb.JPG.4573a3c720e3f4034074dab1ebd71613.JPG

Doesn't really change shit in the big picture, but fun to watch.

The only thing that matters is the Fed's balance sheet.

• Like 1