Investing

Motown Bombers

On 5/9/2022 at 7:45 PM, gehringer_2 said:

hopefully it will just go away as it really serves very nearly no purpose, but I doubt it. From an investment standpoint it's basically now in the same category as art. It's going to be worth whatever the next guy will pay for it, except you can't hang it on your wall and look at it in the meantime. I guess if you buy a digital art NFT, which is essentially also buying crypto, you can leave it up as the screensaver on your TV! 

I'm not an expert but I think it exists for money laundering.

"I bought this"

"What is it"

"it's this thing they told me about"

"Where is it"

"Well you can't see it.  But they say I have it. It's mine"

"How do you know?"

"Because they told me"

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm not an expert but I think it exists for money laundering.

"I bought this"

"What is it"

"it's this thing they told me about"

"Where is it"

"Well you can't see it.  But they say I have it. It's mine"

"How do you know?"

"Because they told me"

The above could be confused with a discussion regarding social security expectations in about five years.

Notice this is from August of 2021.

When you have pictures of rocks selling for 1.3 million dollars, somethings seriously fucked up.  And it has gotten more crazy than that since.

And now some of that idiocy is taking a big shit.  Imagine that.

I honestly have a hard time believing what I see today.  But I'm crazy so that helps - and I have a good time.  h/t Joe Walsh

Another example; no N in FANG anymore (publicly traded edition)?

nflx511.thumb.JPG.63ce26b5882985d6447dced0d3dca827.JPG

From 700 to 166 in 6 months.  Ouch!

They have been overpriced since they started, and I'm not saying they were not worth something, but their business model depended on poaching. Without the "last mile" they are toast (like many others).  Plan your NFLX position accordingly. 

Sort of figured Netflix was in trouble when they gave the Obama's $60M to produce content. What do they know about doing that?

Then they gave that royal couple who isn't a royal anymore $100M. At least she was a D list actress on a bad show before she married a prince. 

But that is a ton of money paid to people who have never done the job they are being paid to do. Not sure that is the best business model.

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

All of the content owners created their own services and are taking their shit back.

It's seem there are three separate business that combine for entertainment delivery. The hardware end to get the content to your eyeballs, the distribution end to get the content to the people who can broadcast it, and the content creators. The industry seems constantly in flux as big investors try to package them together different ways and the inherent centrifugal forces between them spin them apart again!

Netflix should have pivoted to live sports.  Prime seems to understand this with their NFL deal to stream a game or two per week.  The NBA TV deal is up next summer (maybe 2024) and Netflix should jump on it IMO.  It is the future of sports on TV.

Amazon is funny right now.  They are spending tons of cash building out their delivery infrastructure to basically replace  UPS, USPS, and Fed Ex.  They have invested in fleets of semis and planes lately and that is expensive.  Massive distribution centers are popping up all over the country and again, very expensive to build out.  People always think online shopping is Amazons bread and butter, but is really their AWS division.  Huge profit margins, massive profits, usually about 50% of their profits each quarter/year.  My kind of crazy but not crazy prediction for Amazon.  They spinoff three different companies/divisions.  Online retail/services, AWS, and one nobody is really considering, a global logistics company.  

Google is kind of meh to me.  They do advertising very well, but struggle to develop other revenue streams.  Google Services (where their advertising department resides) made up 92% of their revenue last year.  They need something else.  Maybe their cloud service will take off.

Apple, man, Apple is sexy.  Hardware is obviously big for them.  Phones are killer, those new chips for their phones/laptops are insanely fast and way ahead of the PC/Android stuff.  They are a leader in the subscription model that everyone is going to with revenue and profits really growing in that area.  They are supposedly about to introduce a subscription plan for your phone where you don't buy your phone anymore, you subscribe and they lease you one.  A little disappointed they seemed to have given up on their cloud service, or are at least not pushing as hard.  My crazy but not so crazy prediction for Apple in the next decade?  They develop a banking division.  They already have a credit card, but that is issued through Goldman.  I mean they go and get a banking charter and become a full fledged bank.  Digital money is already huge and only going to get bigger.  It makes some sense the best tech company on earth has their finger in that pie.

47 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Elon is going to Elon.

Twitter down big premarket on news Musk is putting the Twitter deal on hold while he reconsiders.

So it's supposed to be good news that Twitter is "only" 5% bots? Given the relative volume capability of a bot that could still easily be a much bigger % of the traffic.

% of BOT accounts is some measure of how hard the problem is to fix, but not so much of how bad the problem is.

I think Musk's problem with Twitter is that his philosophical goals and his economic goals are at cross purposes and I don't think that is resolvable. Philosophically he wants less moderation, but it's exactly lack of moderation that has driven the posters whose presence he wants to monetize off the platform. Bots are a problem but more from the cultural/political direction, there is plenty enough crap generated by real users to keep away the people he wants there more. 

I'm also a huge FOSS guy - have been on Linux for years - but if you open source enforcement algorithms you are asking for your system to get gamed big time. FOSS works in most SW because SW by it's nature only does certain things, so an exploit is an attempt to add function that shouldn't be there, so you gain security by finding and closing holes and that can be effectively done in the open. Moderation is an attempt to come from the opposite direction logically and that is more difficult. Musk wants the platform open 'except'. But that is a much harder problem because you need the algorithm to anticipate the unknown. Telling people what the algorithm doesn't anticipate is showing them the open doors.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Apple, man, Apple is sexy.  Hardware is obviously big for them.  Phones are killer, those new chips for their phones/laptops are insanely fast and way ahead of the PC/Android stuff.  They are a leader in the subscription model that everyone is going to with revenue and profits really growing in that area.  They are supposedly about to introduce a subscription plan for your phone where you don't buy your phone anymore, you subscribe and they lease you one.  A little disappointed they seemed to have given up on their cloud service, or are at least not pushing as hard.  My crazy but not so crazy prediction for Apple in the next decade?  They develop a banking division.  They already have a credit card, but that is issued through Goldman.  I mean they go and get a banking charter and become a full fledged bank.  Digital money is already huge and only going to get bigger.  It makes some sense the best tech company on earth has their finger in that pie.

You are correct about Apple. I would never own an Android, they are for non tech boomers and bad credit phone contracts. 

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Musk's problem with Twitter is that his philosophical goals and his economic goals are at cross purposes and I don't think that is resolvable. Philosophically he wants less moderation, but it's exactly lack of moderation that has driven the posters whose presence he wants to monetize off the platform. Bots are a problem but more from the cultural/political direction, there is plenty enough crap generated by real users to keep away the people he wants there more. 

If there is a battle between philosophy and money, we know which one is going to win.  

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You are correct about Apple. I would never own an Android, they are for non tech boomers and bad credit phone contracts. 

I've never heard someone say Android is for non tech people. The whole allure of Apple is suppose to be user friendly. Apparently you don't go to the forums where the young people are rooting and installing custom roms on their Androids. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If there is a battle between philosophy and money, we know which one is going to win.  

LOL, True. But the difference in this case is that Musk doesn't need Twitter to make money. He's claiming he's buying it as a business proposition because there is untapped potential and not a vanity play (e.g. Bezos buying WaPo), but that is what only what he says. Do we actually believe him?