Investing

Motown Bombers

55 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Possible ones I foresee:

Bad habits being taught... or antiquated habits. DeSantis talked about balancing a checkbook, does anybody do that anymore?

Red states having people pay off education boards to steer people toward their products.

Ramsey.. cough cough

yeah I saw that about DeSantis a few days ago and thought the same thing.  The only checks we write is to our house keeper who isn't on Venmo yet.  

In fact I don't think I ever balanced a checkbook and I'm 48.  I've always had online banking.... I see it every day.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ever been at the UMass-Amherst location?

My best buddy has a PHD in Accounting and teaches at Amherst. Actually, I think he does more research and papers than teaching but... He got his PHD at Amherst and then started teaching at Drexel in Philly. Moved back to teaching at Amherst a dozen years ago or so...

I have been there but not recently.  

I only teach in the fall.  My main job is statistical programming and Analysis.  

6 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Possible ones I foresee:

Bad habits being taught... or antiquated habits. DeSantis talked about balancing a checkbook, does anybody do that anymore?

Red states having people pay off education boards to steer people toward their products.

Yeah, I can see that happening.  However, isn't that true of any subject - that they might not teach it the right way?

U.S. Inflation Hit 8.6% in May

U.S. consumer inflation reached an 8.6% annual rate in May, its highest level in more than four decades as surging energy and food prices pushed prices higher.

The Labor Department on Friday said that the consumer-price index increased 8.6% in May from the same month a year ago, marking its fastest pace since December 1981. That was also up from April’s CPI reading, which was slightly below the previous 40-year high reached in March. The CPI measures what consumers pay for goods and services.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, Deleterious said:

A while back I approached multiple school board members in multiple districts about adding this to their curriculum.  None of them would touch it.  You would have thought I was asking them to discuss abortion or gun control.  I was so angry that I spent two months trying to convince my girlfriend to run for a board seat to push this agenda.

Show me the person that opposes this and I will show you someone with a years worth of salary in credit card debt.

I was in HS a long time ago but the only thing we had along these lines was our government teacher ran some sessions before school that he billed as "how to become a millionaire" by doing gradual consistent saving.   It wasn't really new to me b/c that's what my dad always preached.

Edited by pfife

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Fed is prepared to raise 50 basis points through September. The pricing of homes will be interesting to watch. 
In the past couple of months roughly 25% of homes nationally have been purchased with cash.

I'm just eyeballing what I'm seeing around here. A lot of buyers seem to be investors. Corporations looking for rentals (at least in the low to mid $300,000 range). Houses are only on the market for about 2-3 weeks at the most.

Of course it being June in an area with a large military presence plays a factor.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm just eyeballing what I'm seeing around here. A lot of buyers seem to be investors. Corporations looking for rentals (at least in the low to mid $300,000 range). Houses are only on the market for about 2-3 weeks at the most.

Of course it being June in an area with a large military presence plays a factor.

Same in the triangle here in NC. I’ve seen several houses that were pending come back on the market. Clearly the rate rise and high prices are beginning to push more buyers out of the market. I’m sure fence sitters are trying to jump in before it’s out of reach. 
OTH, we still see homes selling for well over asking. Never seen anything like it.