05/25/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That single puts Riley over the .800 OPS mark on the season. Outside of maybe the first week of the season I don't think he has been that high all year. 

To add to this I went and looked at his FG page and he's now on pace for a little over 5 WAR this season which is something I think we all would've gladly taken before the season. The negative is that he does have a .400 BABIP which means he may be due for some correction but with his batted ball profile and plus speed I think he is a guy who should have a higher BABIP so he may not be getting THAT fortunate. Also lets hope that some more HR power will come which will offset any loss of BA due to the potentially lower BABIP forthcoming. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

These Sox announcers are so bad they make me miss the Hawk.

Hawk was a ridiculous homer, but he was actually a pretty smart baseball man.  I actually found him humorous after a while and he wasn't that bad compared a lot other broadcasters (like ones we've seen with the Tigers over the years).  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

These Sox announcers are so bad they make me miss the Hawk.

I generally like Jason Benetti, but I wanna slap him for saying TORK! should have used two hands to catch that popup. First of all, it was back of him over his shoulder, so no way he’s getting a right hand over to his glove to catch that ball “with two hands”. But the larger point is ballplayers haven’t needed two hands to catch a fly ball in decades. Back in the early 1900s, maybe you needed two hands because gloves were exactly hand sized. Now they’re way bigger with roomy webs. A first baseman's glove is 13”, for cry eye. So you don’t need a second hand to catch the ball. Much of the time a second hand just gets in the way.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Hawk was a ridiculous homer, but he was actually a pretty smart baseball man.  I actually found him humorous after a while and he wasn't that bad compared a lot other broadcasters (like ones we've seen with the Tigers over the years).  

I enjoyed Hawk - as long as the Sox were losing badly. When they were out of the game he turned into a good color guy. But if a win was in sight he got progressively more obnoxious.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I generally like Jason Benetti, but I wanna slap him for saying TORK! should have used two hands to catch that popup. First of all, it was back of him over his shoulder, so no way he’s getting a right hand over to his glove to catch that ball “with two hands”. But the larger point is ballplayers haven’t needed two hands to catch a fly ball in decades. Back in the early 1900s, maybe you needed two hands because gloves were exactly hand sized. Now they’re way bigger with roomy webs. A first baseman's glove is 13”, for cry eye. So you don’t need a second hand to catch the ball. Much of the time a second hand just gets in the way.

This is spot on, you can't do much with your 2nd hand wearing gloves at today's size limit. Monroe actually had the fairer criticism, which is that when you are running to the ball, don't just try to meet the ball, 'overrun' it a little so you are there early and can make an adjustment. The thing is it's hard to do, your motor system wants you move so you exactly meet the ball, forcing yourself to go faster just so you can slow down is hard.

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Hawk was great. I expect local guys to be homers, so I took his homer-isms as just par for the course.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is spot on, you can't do much with your 2nd hand wearing gloves at today's size limit. Monroe actually had the fairer criticism, which is that when you are running to the ball, don't just try to meet the ball, 'overrun' it a little so you are there early and can make an adjustment. The thing is it's hard to do, your motor system wants you move so you exactly meet the ball, forcing yourself to go faster just so you can slow down is hard.

Running to just meet the ball is something that I as an outfielder have recognized in myself, cogitated at length, tried to change in the moment, and failed to overcome my instincts. Now I'm just too goddamned old to worry or even care about it.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Can't reward Short for last night's performance? Just have to start Ibanez at second for some reason?

If I’m getting the maths right, Short had more RBI last night than Schoop has had this season, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Zach McKinstry being good is one of my favorite things after the ridiculous "Why not just keep Harold Castro" crap that was spewed after he was acquired.

Take a bow.  You really spoke highly of the McKinstry pick up.

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Baddoo's OPS in May is .850, with 7 walks and 9 strikeouts.  The K rate is greatly improved. 

Plus McKinstry and Tork. Obviously Greene's been red hot. The bullpen has been lights out and some good starts here and there. Things were a bit doom and gloom in April but they are showing flashes. Also can't forget to mention the solid defense this season.