06/05/2023 6:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Philadelphia Phillies

casimir

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

is joey wentz a major league pitcher?  destined for loogy status?

to be accurate, the rules did away with LOOGY, but to the general question of whether he would be better off in relief, I think the issue would be his K rate isn't what you like in a reliever. OTOH, some guys can tick up their velo once they start working short and that can make a big difference, so I guess you don't know until you try. They sure are not in a position to give up on arms of any kind.

I don’t get the Baez hate. I agree the bat has been terrible and frustrating but his defense has been solid and he posts every day. Seriously if he opts out how does that help us ? Who plays shortstop? With so many holes and plenty of payroll space forthcoming why add another problem? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I don’t get the Baez hate. I agree the bat has been terrible and frustrating but his defense has been solid and he posts every day. Seriously if he opts out how does that help us ? Who plays shortstop? With so many holes and plenty of payroll space forthcoming why add another problem? 

20th worst BA in the league, also has a -200 league avg OPS...oh, and still plenty of time to be at the top of the league in defensive errors (like last season)...he'd hit 9th on an actual good team, and that's assuming said good team would even play him every day at this point, which they probably wouldnt because his bat literally detracts from any offensive value...other than that, he's worth every penny!

Screenshot_20230606_064007_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dtrain72

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

If his hitting isn't going to get any better, and he's a defense only SS, that contract becomes ugly if/when that remaining strength is gone.  Is a defense only SS worth $25M/season if his defense fades away?  I guess he might still have the baserunning acumen, but if he ain't on base, how does he use it?

I was happy with offering him 4 seasons with a 5th option, although he wasn't my first SS option that offseason.  He got 6 total, with the opt out.  OK, fine.  I never thought his hitting would completely disintegrate like it has.

I don't think he will opt out, but who knows.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

to be accurate, the rules did away with LOOGY, but to the general question of whether he would be better off in relief, I think the issue would be his K rate isn't what you like in a reliever. OTOH, some guys can tick up their velo once they start working short and that can make a big difference, so I guess you don't know until you try. They sure are not in a position to give up on arms of any kind.

Yup, not many other options to go to right now.

image.thumb.png.5d7cb23877f44d882371b2b11d86fbb8.png

image.png.2360048f4e7e4daad390471ca8ed179b.png

My completely amateurish opinion by glancing at the stats for 15 seconds is that he's getting barreled up more this season than last.  Is he tipping pitches?  I mean, look at that HR% jump from last season to this.