06/14/2023 1:10 pm EDT Atlanta Braves vs Detroit Tigers (Game 1 of Doubleheader)

casimir

6 hours ago, CMU97 said:

Don't forget this guy

91UqR9wTSNL.jpg

I didn’t notice it before, but look at that hat.  One of the features of ball cards of that era was primitive photoshopping (before basic photoshopping).  I’m sure given the nature of Seattle Pilots’ late move to Milwaukee, there was probably an inordinate amount of touch ups for that set.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

I didn’t notice it before, but look at that hat.  One of the features of ball cards of that era was primitive photoshopping (before basic photoshopping).  I’m sure given the nature of Seattle Pilots’ late move to Milwaukee, there was probably an inordinate amount of touch ups for that set.

The 'primative' form of photoshopping was hand tinting B&W originals. My aunt actually did this as a job in the 40's. Things like professional HS graduation pictures were done in B&W right up through the early 70s for the sake the better contrast, grain and stability. You filled out a slip with the photographer listing the colors of the clothes you were wearing, plus eyes, hair, etc. Then a colorist hand painted the colors on the enlargements. There must have been a similar step at some point in the photolitho process for printing.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This makes me wonder whether Austin Meadows will get a raise for his last arb year next year.

Let's hope he puts up the numbers to get that.   What I wouldn't give for a legit power threat outfielder who could play everyday without a platoon.   Remember the good old days when the Tigers would just randomly have a Torii Hunter ($13M AAV) or a Justin Upton ($22m AAV) or even a Johhny Damon ($8m for one season).  Alas, ownership prefers the way of pain. 

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Let's hope he puts up the numbers to get that.   What I wouldn't give for a legit power threat outfielder who could play everyday without a platoon.   Remember the good old days when the Tigers would just randomly have a Torii Hunter ($13M AAV) or a Justin Upton ($22m AAV) or even a Johhny Damon ($8m for one season).  Alas, ownership prefers the way of pain. 

I think we already suspect Austin Meadows is never playing for us again, but that doesn’t mean we won’t pay him for another year next year via Baby Doc fiat.

15 hours ago, turbo t said:

How many people in here think hinch should be gone after this year. 

NICE FIRSTPOST I THINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE LAST YEAR AND ILLITCH NEEDS TO SPEND SOME MONEY OR SELL THE TEAM!!! ALSO FIRE HARVEY BAYEZ HE SUCKS!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seriously though if I felt the team lost respect for Hinch or didn't play hard for him then Id probably be fine firing him but I dont think that is the case.

Aside from some fluke incidents they seem to always bust their ass and fight as hard as they can but they just don't have the ability of their opponents.

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

NICE FIRSTPOST I THINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE LAST YEAR AND ILLITCH NEEDS TO SPEND SOME MONEY OR SELL THE TEAM!!! ALSO FIRE HARVEY BAYEZ HE SUCKS!!! 

Welcome to the forum! Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Seriously though if I felt the team lost respect for Hinch or didn't play hard for him then Id probably be fine firing him but I dont think that is the case.

Aside from some fluke incidents they seem to always bust their ass and fight as hard as they can but they just don't have the ability of their opponents.

I think the only people who have lost respect for Hinch as Tigers manager are frustrated fans. It's possible Miggy doesn't look up to Hinch, but then, Miggy probably doesn't look up to anybody. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's a lot of fans basically wishing Tiger players didn't respect Hinch so he'd get fired and we'd hire a manager they like while keeping the PBO who's currently working very closely with Hinch who was consulted in the hiring of the PBO.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Miggy probably doesn't look up to anybody

Miggy's favorite line is 'do my job,' If he believes that then you'd think he has a sense of working within the hierarchy, and to be fair, I can't remember him ever saying word one to bad mouth any current or even past Tiger manager.  I mean sure, he probably thinks, and is probably correct, that other players/coaches can't teach him much/anything, so he wouldn't look up to them in that sense = agreed there. But OTOH, he appears to be respectful of the role of his manager in the organizational sense if you take 'look up' in that meaning.

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the only people who have lost respect for Hinch as Tigers manager are frustrated fans. It's possible Miggy doesn't look up to Hinch, but then, Miggy probably doesn't look up to anybody. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's a lot of fans basically wishing Tiger players didn't respect Hinch so he'd get fired and we'd hire a manager they like while keeping the PBO who's currently working very closely with Hinch who was consulted in the hiring of the PBO.

Zepo Marx, in the movie "Horse Feathers" famously said, "To have a good football team, you have to have good football players." To which Groucho replied, "I think you're on to something."

That same sentiment applies to baseball.

• Like 1

Gawd, imagine what this team could have done with maybe two more years of Jim Leyland managing, Mike Illitch living and Dave Dombrowski presidenting.  

Like most Detroit things the new, unproven manager Brad Ausmus came in with unassailable propaganda behind him and many including me needed to hope he would be good.  He was not good.  The bad became awful as the Dombrowski era gave way to the Avila years. 

Now, we are here.  PLEASE BE GOOD Scott Harris.  Please don't be seeing this as a stepping stone for your real career objectives.   Please figure out how to make the sports business work in Detroit's market.  We aren't small.  Lots of money out there in those houses around all those lakes in the suburbs and up north.  Figure it out.  We aren't New England but we aren't nothing. 

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Gawd, imagine what this team could have done with maybe two more years of Jim Leyland managing, Mike Illitch living and Dave Dombrowski presidenting.  

Like most Detroit things the new, unproven manager Brad Ausmus came in with unassailable propaganda behind him and many including me needed to hope he would be good.  He was not good.  The bad became awful as the Dombrowski era gave way to the Avila years. 

Now, we are here.  PLEASE BE GOOD Scott Harris.  Please don't be seeing this as a stepping stone for your real career objectives.   Please figure out how to make the sports business work in Detroit's market.  We aren't small.  Lots of money out there in those houses around all those lakes in the suburbs and up north.  Figure it out.  We aren't New England but we aren't nothing. 

Dave hired Brad and Mike was still alive then. 

Edited by KL2