07/07/2023 6:40 pm EDT Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Positional versatility has been there right alongside control the strikezone in terms of cliches since Spring Training

I like "control the strike zone".  "Positional versatility" makes me envision players playing out of position.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I like "control the strike zone".  "Positional versatility" makes me envision players playing out of position.      

To me "positional versatility" means Willi and Harold giving you bad D at six different positions. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Trammell doesn't want to talk about anything but Whitaker.  

That was the best part of the broadcast.  

I don't know, but I suspect there is a bit of self guilt inside of him that he gets the flowers of the hall of fame nod et al while Whitaker is held to second fiddle status.  They were both very good players on their own, but the sum of the parts and the rarity of its duration is what makes it special.  The hall really botched it by not inducting both together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It was nice to hear him say that the 1987 1-0 late season victory was the highlight of his storied career. 

The story of he and Willie Horton exchanging pleasantries after an inside pitch was pretty amusing.  The photograph that they showed of the kumbaya was good.

So for those that missed, Tanana (rookie season) pitched one to Horton a bit too inside to Horton's liking.  Horton noted his suggestion from a shorter distance, teammates joined on field to listen to the critique.  I don't think any punches were thrown.  But then there was a reskirmish after Horton thought he heard some more chirping.  Well, the Angels had a 3Bdude that looked like Tanana, and Horton started to wander over in his direction to reestablish his side of the story.  The 3Bdude, probably fearing for his life, had to remind Horton that he was merely a doppleganger to the events, the pitcher was over that way.

5833ab16-e502-4fb4-b4b4-b342356b842b-dfpx45975.jpg?width=1320&height=1050&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Tanana made mention that Mickey Stanley may have saved his life here/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The story of he and Willie Horton exchanging pleasantries after an inside pitch was pretty amusing.  The photograph that they showed of the kumbaya was good.

So for those that missed, Tanana (rookie season) pitched one to Horton a bit too inside to Horton's liking.  Horton noted his suggestion from a shorter distance, teammates joined on field to listen to the critique.  I don't think any punches were thrown.  But then there was a reskirmish after Horton thought he heard some more chirping.  Well, the Angels had a 3Bdude that looked like Tanana, and Horton started to wander over in his direction to reestablish his side of the story.  The 3Bdude, probably fearing for his life, had to remind Horton that he was merely a doppleganger to the events, the pitcher was over that way.

5833ab16-e502-4fb4-b4b4-b342356b842b-dfpx45975.jpg?width=1320&height=1050&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Tanana made mention that Mickey Stanley may have saved his life here/

Looks like the 3B was Dave Chalk

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

To me "positional versatility" means Willi and Harold giving you bad D at six different positions. 

Funny how Willie Castro is playing only the outfield in Minnesota and doing better. Gaining confidence in his defense allows him to relax at the plate maybe ?

29 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Funny how Willie Castro is playing only the outfield in Minnesota and doing better. Gaining confidence in his defense allows him to relax at the plate maybe ?

Well that's what I thought until I checked his "games by position" on MLB.com...he's played 6 positions there too, including 22 at third base.  So Detroit isn't the only team with that delusion.  His platoon split is interesting...OPS of exactly .696 from both sides of the plate.  Not exactly tearing the cover off, with an OPS+ of 93.

I'm so happy that he isn't here any more.  Good luck to him, nothing personal, but he seems to inspire managers to prove how clever they are.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The 1968 Tigers had remarkable positional versatility and they won the World Series.  They had something the 2023 Tigers didn't have though.  

There’s still time to get that ring.  Just need to pull a 2006 Cardinals.  Hey, the division is there for the taking.