07/08/2023 1:10 pm EDT Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

7819282020.gif  5986811968.gif

Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

Watch:  Tigers - Bally Sports Detroit, Blue Jays - Sportsnet, TVA Sports, SN NOW App, National - MLBN (out-of-market only)
Listen:  Tigers - 97.1 The Ticket, Blue Jays - SN590, Sportsnet.ca

Dave-Bergman.png?w=1200&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

I do feel bad for someone when it looks like they are finished doing what they have done their whole life.  I don’t hate players who’s only fault is not being good anymore.  They aren’t doing anything wrong. Sometimes the vitriol I see bothers me. These are humans doing their best.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Schoop gone so now let's start badmouthing Cisnero. Totally useless for a rebuilding team.

Do we have a Chopping Block Ranking?

Here's mine (with commentary):

Miggy - not happening until he retires in the offseason but... I'm just putting him here as a reminder that's it is past his expiration date... #1 on my list to move on from... He's actually been decent in June/July so no stress just waiting until the offseason... But, it's time. Offseason = retirement. Done.

Eduardo - I'm not against Eduardo at all. In fact, I'd love for the Tigers to buy out his option for $10 mill or $15 mill or whatever it might be. Although that probably has a sensible limit to... don't know where sensible changes into unreasonable/ too costly but... outside of that, he's our biggest trade chip at the deadline. So if we don't buy out his option... interested in seeing what kind of return Harris can generate.

Cisnero - is he worth anything at the deadline?

Shreve - They're going to keep Shreve as they need a second LH'er... but if they find someone who's a better option then maybe a swap occurs... Also, Englert has been slightly worse, but he's 23, not 32, and still has some future... I don't see Shreve actually moving until they find a replacement, to be blunt about it... Sean Guenther down at Toledo...? I mean... maybe? Other than him (not inspiring, at best...); we got nothing down below from the port side...

Haase - I'm not against Haase either... far from it. I'm just putting him on here for completeness. But he's tricky as, obviously, the team would need to replace him with another catcher... And I don't see Sands as the temporary answer (I mean... maybe? but I see him as AAA depth only...), and Dingler is not going to be ready just yet. I only see this happening if the return on Eduardo includes a major-league ready LH'ed batting catcher, and then Haase also gets moved at the deadline... Just a WAG...

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I do feel bad for someone when it looks like they are finished doing what they have done their whole life.  I don’t hate players who’s only fault is not being good anymore.  They aren’t doing anything wrong. Sometimes the vitriol I see bothers me. These are humans doing their best.  

I don't hate on Schoop or Miggy or anyone..

It's just that... 

When it's time to move on...

It's time to move on.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Yup.  It’s nothing personal, but it’s time to move on.

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Do we have a Chopping Block Ranking?

Here's mine (with commentary):

Miggy - not happening until he retires in the offseason but... I'm just putting him here as a reminder that's it is past his expiration date... #1 on my list to move on from... He's actually been decent in June/July so no stress just waiting until the offseason... But, it's time. Offseason = retirement. Done.

Eduardo - I'm not against Eduardo at all. In fact, I'd love for the Tigers to buy out his option for $10 mill or $15 mill or whatever it might be. Although that probably has a sensible limit to... don't know where sensible changes into unreasonable/ too costly but... outside of that, he's our biggest trade chip at the deadline. So if we don't buy out his option... interested in seeing what kind of return Harris can generate.

Cisnero - is he worth anything at the deadline?

Shreve - They're going to keep Shreve as they need a second LH'er... but if they find someone who's a better option then maybe a swap occurs... Also, Englert has been slightly worse, but he's 23, not 32, and still has some future... I don't see Shreve actually moving until they find a replacement, to be blunt about it... Sean Guenther down at Toledo...? I mean... maybe? Other than him (not inspiring, at best...); we got nothing down below from the port side...

Haase - I'm not against Haase either... far from it. I'm just putting him on here for completeness. But he's tricky as, obviously, the team would need to replace him with another catcher... And I don't see Sands as the temporary answer (I mean... maybe? but I see him as AAA depth only...), and Dingler is not going to be ready just yet. I only see this happening if the return on Eduardo includes a major-league ready LH'ed batting catcher, and then Haase also gets moved at the deadline... Just a WAG...

Yeah, Miggy is making his farewell tour. He's being paid for all the joy he's brought us in his career here. We all have a favorite Miggy moment...

And Shreve? Yes, he's the type of LH you bring in to get a tough LH hitter and then get him outta there. But the rule change to 3 hitters mandatory makes him ineffective. 

Haase? Yes, he's been pretty bad. His slump has been going on for too long. Better options? We'll see at the trade deadline. But until then, we have to keep him.

Isn't Englert a rule 5 pickup? If so, we need to keep him. Exact opposite of Cisnero. Rebuilding teams should load up on young talent that may help in 2 or 3 years. Cisnero is just an old useless pitcher. He's #1 on my list to DFA.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers best chance to win a game in this series was Friday. The next 2 pitchers we face are quality arms. Of course, we've been making bad pitchers look pretty good for the last week or so...

I'd stay out the prediction business for a bit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

... Isn't Englert a rule 5 pickup? ...

Yes.

Which is why I did NOT list him.

I only pointed him out in the Shreve commentary to point out the difference in value between the two. Englert, 23, has a potential future with the Tigers, even if he isn't pitching all that great. Shreve, at 32, can be replaced. Once a lefty replacement is found for him... that is.

• Like 1