07/08/2023 1:10 pm EDT Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

48 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Besides, who really wants to be the guy that fired Jim Price

Despite his flaws as an analyst, he has always come across as an honest and friendly person.  I have heard that he is genuinely that way, so yes it would be really difficult to fire him.  Hell, if fans can put up with Todd Jones and Craig Monroe, they can deal with a fading Price for a few monrhs.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, holygoat said:

On the way to the store after the game, I made the mistake of turning on the Ticket. Some caller was bitching about Hinch pulling Manning, and Riger was agreeing with him. What is wrong with these people? The Tigers no-hit a decent lineup, and instead of celebrating, they bitch about the fact that it's a combined no-no. I can't imagine going through life this way, lol.

yeah, It would have been insane to let him go any longer.  Here is a young pitcher working his way back after an injury and they wanted to see him stay in there to throw 120 pitches so he could get a no hitter?  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 3

Didn't see the game but went to ESPN's website and one of the headlines said "Tigers Manning, Foley and Lange combine for no hitter." I swear before I got to the no hitter part my brain immediately was expecting it to say something like "leave with injuries" or something so when I read the no hitter part I was more than pleasantly surprised. 

52 minutes ago, holygoat said:

On the way to the store after the game, I made the mistake of turning on the Ticket. Some caller was bitching about Hinch pulling Manning, and Riger was agreeing with him. What is wrong with these people? The Tigers no-hit a decent lineup, and instead of celebrating, they bitch about the fact that it's a combined no-no. I can't imagine going through life this way, lol.

Same here. My on screen display didn’t come on and I was stuck.  I couldn’t believe it. This guy has a career ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

And you know that the moment Manning gets injured, he'll be complaining about how Hinch misused him.

It's not about being right with most sports radio guys, it's about being loud and provocative. It just doesn't add much to anything 

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would imagine that with pre-2000 being "Is your arm still attached?", that it's probably much more likely lately. 

I remember Billy Chapel's no hitter.  He had NOTHING left at the end, but when a guy is in the last season, then why not let it ride? 

That was back when they played for the love of the game. 😆

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Jim Price can barely be heard. That's a big deterioration even from a month ago. I don't think he could or should continue any longer. 

I give the team credit, they've been doing what they could as his health has gotten progressively worse he's been able to cut back his work load enough to handle the games he was doing, but there's no question he's struggling even with the reduced work load. 

I think it's likely he'll be on an even more reduced schedule now and that sometime around the last home stand they'll announce his retirement and he and Cabrera can ride off into the Sunset.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CMU97 said:

I agree. I was listening with my last night and told her it was time for Jim to hang up his spikes. She asked me how long he had been with the Tigers, and I said on and off since 1967. She said if you were the same team 55 + years you started, and you were in your 80's still doing what you loved, would you quit?

She has a point.

You married a smart one.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I give the team credit, they've been doing what they could as his health has gotten progressively worse he's been able to cut back his work load enough to handle the games he was doing, but there's no question he's struggling even with the reduced work load. 

I think it's likely he'll be on an even more reduced schedule now and that sometime around the last home stand they'll announce his retirement and he and Cabrera can ride off into the Sunset.

On the flip side, Greg Gania is fantastic. I wish they could just give him the TV gig.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

On the flip side, Greg Gania is fantastic. I wish they could just give him the TV gig.

I listened today. I thought he did a solid job, but it was pretty straightforward and a bit unremarkable.  Not sure how he’d play on TV, but I’m in favor of anyone replacing Shep.  I’d rather have Dickerson move to TV, selfishly because I watch more TV broadcasts than listening on the radio.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I listened today. I thought he did a solid job, but it was pretty straightforward and a bit unremarkable.  Not sure how he’d play on TV, but I’m in favor of anyone replacing Shep.  I’d rather have Dickerson move to TV, selfishly because I watch more TV broadcasts than listening on the radio.

I’d also stick Daniella Bruce into a tv role instead of the radio. Three people on a radio broadcast, even though Daniella is only called on occasionally, is too busy. 

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why can't Dan Dickerson be the radio & TV guy at the same time?   Been done before

back in the day I think it was more doable. In today's game with all the video slo-mo and replay, the video ad insertions and all the other stat graphics inserted during the play the the PBP guys has to narrate, I don't see how you make it work anymore. You can't have the radio PBP guy constantly refereing to things the audience can't figure out. It's bad enough that that during a call replay request on the field Dan has to fill in with what he sees on his monitor. Radio PBP works for baseball because we know what a DP turn looks like already when Dan narrates one. We'd have no idea of what he was talking about if he were narrating some kind of pitch distribution graphic or stat list comparison that had gone up on the video feed.

And it goes the other way also. Some of what Dan is best at - like painting a batting stance - would be uselessly redundant to recite out on the video broadcast.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t think it can be understated how awful the weather was for Manning in that first inning and how he really seemed to struggle with getting a grip on the baseball.  And them look and behold, a no hitter was pitched.

With this offense, you have to almost throw a no-hitter just to win. 

20 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Despite his flaws as an analyst, he has always come across as an honest and friendly person.  I have heard that he is genuinely that way, so yes it would be really difficult to fire him.  Hell, if fans can put up with Todd Jones and Craig Monroe, they can deal with a fading Price for a few monrhs.  

Jim Price was my “coach” at Tigers fantasy camp in 2008 and he is truly a very nice guy. 

• Like 1