Miggy in History

BoomGaspar

With his final season at the All-Star break, where does Miguel Cabrera rank historically?  He is...

22nd in MLB history in hits with 3128.  He needs 14 more to pass Tony Gwynn for 21st.
8th in team history in hits with 2286.  He needs 80 more to pass Alan Trammell for 7th.

27th in MLB history in home runs with 508.  He needs 2 more to pass Gary Sheffield for 26th.
3rd in team history in home runs with 370.  He needs 4 more to pass Norm Cash for 2nd.

13th in MLB history in RBI with 1861.  He needs 49 more to pass Willie Mays for 12th.
5th in team history in RBI with 1338.  He needs 90 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 4th.

14th in MLB history in doubles with 617.  He needs 8 more to pass Hank Aaron for 13th.
5th in team history in doubles with 434.  He needs 64 more to pass Harry Heilmann for 4th.

15th in MLB history in total bases with 5303.  He needs 7 more to pass Adrian Beltre for 14th.
4th in team history in total bases with 3844.  He needs 414 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 3rd.

61st in MLB history in runs scored with 1540.  He needs 5 more to pass Manny Ramirez for 60th.
9th in team history in runs scored with 1091.  He needs 25 more to pass Sam Crawford for 8th.

56th in MLB history in walks with 1248.  He needs 2 more to pass Ty Cobb for 55th.
7th in team history in walks with 926.  He needs 100 more to pass Norm Cash for 6th.

9th in MLB history in intentional walks with 238.  He needs 9 more to pass Ken Griffey Jr. for 8th.
1st in team history in intentional walks with 168.

15th in MLB history in extra base hits with 1142.  He needs 10 more to pass Adrian Beltre for 14th.
4th in team history in extra base hits with 811.  He needs 93 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 3rd.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Norm Cash was better than I realized.  

Cash had that one supernova season in 1961 where posted a 201 OPS+. Then he had nothing but good to great seasons after that. In his final 13 seasons he posted an OPS+ of 125 or greater 11 times. His two worst seasons were a 120 and his final season with 112. He really didn't become a regular until he was traded by the ChiSox to the Tigers in his age 26 season, in 1960. If he could have started his career earlier and at Tiger Stadium he might have been in the HOF conversation. 

Edited by SeattleMike

Passing Manny Ramirez in runs.  This guy is one of the most underrated players in the history of MLB.  It is amazing that guys who did Roids like Oritz, Bagwell, IRodriguez, Piazza, etc. made the Hall of Fame and someone like Ramirez doesn't even get considered.  Personally, I don't have any issues with guys who used steroids getting into the HOF, because 80% of the players in the league were probably juicing.  

I always had Cabrera ranked slightly behind Ramirez as a comparison when he was in his prime.  

3 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Passing Manny Ramirez in runs.  This guy is one of the most underrated players in the history of MLB.  It is amazing that guys who did Roids like Oritz, Bagwell, IRodriguez, Piazza, etc. made the Hall of Fame and someone like Ramirez doesn't even get considered.  Personally, I don't have any issues with guys who used steroids getting into the HOF, because 80% of the players in the league were probably juicing.  

I always had Cabrera ranked slightly behind Ramirez as a comparison when he was in his prime.  

ortiz being revered by the press and the others being cast out as pariahs is the biggest effing joke.  ortiz is the POSTER CHILD for peds, was caught red handed, and because he's the jolly ****ing fat man from boston he gets off scot free.

total bull****.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, oblong said:

I never really looked at Norm’s numbers before.  My impression based on what I heard is he had “the one big year then that was it”. That wasn’t it. 

He didn't hit for a high batting average other than the one big year, so he wasn't recognized as a top hitter.  I think he would have been valued more in today's game.  

53 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He didn't hit for a high batting average other than the one big year, so he wasn't recognized as a top hitter.  I think he would have been valued more in today's game.  

If you look at his reference scores on Baseball Reference he's in good company. Gil Hodges, Frank Howard, Boog Powell,...pretty much all big first basemen. Standard for the era. Age wise it's interesting, a lot of similarities to **** "Dr Strangeglove" Stuart and Jim Gentile 

On 7/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, tiger2022 said:

Manny Ramirez was busted twice for using roids.  He retired before he could get suspended a third time and thus have a lifetime ban (although he was then reinstated, he only played in the minor leagues).  

Players that have been suspended under the new drug policy since 2006 have next to a 0 percent chance of making it in the Hall of Fame.  The guys you mentioned never got suspended like Manny.  

On 7/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, tiger2022 said:

It was never proven that Bagwell or Pudge took PEDs. 

Like you, I think the majority of players took PEDs in the era prior to stricter testing and penalties.  So, I don't care about PED use so much during that period. 

Once they had strict penalties in place and players like Ramirez and Ortiz still got caught taking them, I can see where they might be judged more harshly.  Ortiz got in because the media liked him.  Ramirez didn't because they disliked him which of course is unfair.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With Miguel Cabrera's playing career presumably over, where does he rank historically?  He is...

17th in MLB history in hits with 3174.  He would have needed 11 more to pass Cal Ripken Jr. for 16th.
8th in team history in hits with 2332.  He would have needed 34 more to pass Alan Trammell for 7th.

Tied with Mel Ott for 25th in MLB history in home runs with 511.  He would have needed 2 more to pass Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews for 23rd.
Tied with Norm Cash for 2nd in team history in home runs with 373.  He would have needed 27 more to pass Al Kaline for 1st.

13th in MLB history in RBI with 1881.  He would have needed 29 more to pass Willie Mays for 12th.
5th in team history in RBI with 1358.  He would have needed 70 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 4th.

13th in MLB history in doubles with 627.  He would have needed 6 more to pass David Ortiz for 12th.
5th in team history in doubles with 444.  He would have needed 54 more to pass Harry Heilmann for 4th.

14th in MLB history in total bases with 5368.  He would have needed 6 more to pass Frank Robinson for 13th.
4th in team history in total bases with 3909.  He would have needed 349 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 3rd.

54th in MLB history in walks with 1258.  He would have needed 5 more to pass Jack Clark for 53rd.
7th in team history in walks with 936.  He would have needed 70 more to pass Norm Cash for 6th.

57th in MLB history in runs scored with 1551.  He would have needed 4 more to pass Hugh Duffy for 56th.
9th in team history in runs scored with 1102.  He would have needed 14 more to pass Sam Crawford for 8th.

14th in MLB history in extra base hits with 1155.  He would have needed 3 more to pass Carl Yastrzemski for 13th.
4th in team history in extra base hits with 824.  He would have needed 61 to pass Charlie Gehringer for 3rd.

25th in MLB history in games played with 2797.  He would have needed 12 more to pass Frank Robinson for 24th.
7th in team history in games played with 2077.  He would have needed 38 more to pass Sam Crawford for 6th.

• Like 3

Don't need to wait.  Retire #24 next year.   Announce it on April 18th (his 41st birthday)    Too bad they play Miami during the week, because that would be the team to do it against.     Do it later in the season,   Start designing the statue now. 

We need 3 more.    Jack Morris.   Miguel Cabrera  and a statue of Lou & Alan together.   Who cares if the Hall Of Fame doesn't get it on Lou (I don't understand).   

Some will complain "everyone gets a statue".   This team is 123 years old now.  Yeah, that means a lot of statues. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Don't need to wait.  Retire #24 next year.   Announce it on April 18th (his 41st birthday)    Too bad they play Miami during the week, because that would be the team to do it against.     Do it later in the season,   Start designing the statue now. 

We need 3 more.    Jack Morris.   Miguel Cabrera  and a statue of Lou & Alan together.   Who cares if the Hall Of Fame doesn't get it on Lou (I don't understand).   

Some will complain "everyone gets a statue".   This team is 123 years old now.  Yeah, that means a lot of statues. 

I like this.  As far as retiring his number, I assume they won’t assign it to anyone else, even if they wait until his HOF induction to formalize it.